Anyone else getting overwhelmed with excursion planning??

chellochariot

The more I research, the more I get overwhelmed! Jeez! Wouldn't it be cool if the ships spent 2 days in each port?!

Yes! Oh yes! I'm going crazy! No - if they spent 2 days I'd have to chose between yet more tours.

Have you actually chosen any yet? When are you sailing?

Ok, at least others are in the same boat! Same boat, get it?? Yeah, bad joke, I know! We leave middle of June. I hope the weather's nice :) We haven't booked anything yet, but are close to doing so for Juneau (Above & Beyond climb) and Sitka (Gallant Adventures marine wildlife tour). We're totally undecided for Skagway and thinking maybe Bear Creek zipline (the more exciting one anyway. I think that's the one). I heard the train in Skagway is beautiful, but I'd like to get out and stretch the sea legs. Maybe we'll rent a car, pull over and hike somewhere spontaneous that beckons us. Maybe bring some leftovers for a picnic. What about you guys?

YES, YES, YES!!! You are definitely not alone! We're going in mid-June, too.

I booked a "Lake Paddle and Trek" with Above and Beyond for Juneau.

I have no idea about Skagway and Ketchikan yet. My daughter wants to zipline, rock-climb and rappel down cliffs, but I am not that adventurous.

I had the same thoughts as you about the train -- it would be more fun to get out there and DO something... but I'm not sure what.

Nice to know I'm not alone out there. :)

If I may offer some words of advice.

It is great to try and do so many things on your cruise, but really try not to over burden yourself and then you will not remember where you were when you did what. In other words, take the time to enjoy what you are doing. Stop for a minute and take a breath when you are kayaking, dog sledding, in a helicopter, whatever. If you cannot take a step back and sort of smell the roses, you really won't be having a good time.

The first time we did Alaska, we also tried to do it all. But before we went, we realized that we really should find one or two things we really want to do, and concentrate on them, instead of trying to do it all.

I know it's hard because there are so many wonderful things to see and do, but by not doing them all at one time just gives you an excuse to go back at a later time. Which we also did. This past time, the only thing we really did was the ride to Emerald Lake. In the other ports, we spent most of the time, mixing with some of the locals, and just really seeing the towns we were in, getting to know them.

Again, don't try and do it all. Do something grand that you will remember forever.

Cheers

Len

A great excuse to come back to each port again.

I actually think it helps to seperate the stuff that you can do anywhere versus only in Alaska. Many things sound exciting, ziplining is one example, but nothing really special that you have to do in Alaska.

Others are very Alaska and depending on interest and experience desired rise to the top.

Happy planning!

The more I research, the more I get overwhelmed! Jeez! Wouldn't it be cool if the ships spent 2 days in each port?!

We too are going in Mid june and I am a planning freak of sorts lol I can't stop myself. So I made my family sit down one night and we narrowed the long list to a shorter list and then eliminated from there. I think we ended up with a little something for all of us, still allowing time to wander around and do whatever in most ports at least. It is very overwhelming, because you want to do EVERYTHING you see and read at first!! Nice to know others were a bit freaked out by it as well.

Having been a long time Alaska visitor and poster on this board, one recommendation, I have repeatively, is to do your homework and work out your ENTIRE touring itinerary BEFORE you get into booking and reservations. Many times, I see, people in a constant state of change, and rush into bookings that may have cancelation fees etc.

Step back and sit on initial choices, continue to look and read. THEN book. At this date , there is little that isn't available.

It is possible to do several excursions in one day:

Ketchikan - First time = Totem Bight, city tour, Salmon Hatchery, Lumberman show and time to shop Creek Street.

Ketchikan - Second time - Duck tour, Bering Sea Crab boat.

Juneau - Mendenhall River rafting, then Salmon bake.

Juneau - Mt Robert's Tram, Tracy's Crab Shack, Mount Robert's Tram (again), Mendenhall Glacier.

But there are new things to do and see. That is why we are scheduled for our 3rd Alaskan cruise in Sept.

You all offer words of wisdom and some great suggestions but chances of us going back to Alaska again are slim... we want to do and see as much as we can. We are just that type of family when we travel...exhausted when we return from our trip, with little regret.

I agree with the poster above - we looked at the excursions that were really unique to Alaska. We'll be going to Alaska for the first time in June. We live in Minnesota so seeing eagles, bears and moose just aren't that big of a draw for us. We plan to do a helicopter ride with a glacier walk - that's definitely not something you can do too many places. We've also rented a car in Skagway and will drive to Emerald Lake. The train would be fine too, but we want to be able to take our time and stop when we want.

I actually think it helps to seperate the stuff that you can do anywhere versus only in Alaska. Many things sound exciting, ziplining is one example, but nothing really special that you have to do in Alaska.

I absolutely agree! We were overwhelmed at first since we wanted to do SO many things and there was just not enough time. So we decided what can we only do in AK...glacier dog sledding and glacier trekking were big on our list so we booked those. We love to kayak and yes we've done it other places but it's still a favorite activity so we booked that as well. We've been whale watching dozen of times in other places so while we would love to do it in AK we moved it down our list in favor of other things. That really helped us keep our sanity and make our decisions.

We will be going to AK in June on the Pearl, there was sooooo many dicisions...which cruise line? which ship? which route? what kind of room? then where to stay pre cruise? transortation? flight? now the excursions, I think we finally have it all figured out, tell me what you think.

June 19th RT from Seattle on NCL Pearl. We are staying at the Silver Cloud-Stadium and catching a Mariners game the night before.

Juneau we are using Harv and Marv for whale watching and then going to Mendenhal Glacier.

Skagway we are taking the train and going panning for gold

Ketchican we are going to the Lumberjack show.

Enjoying the ship while we are in Victoria.

I think all in all we are ready, now what to bring to wear?????? =)

A great excuse to come back to each port again.

Others are very Alaska and depending on interest and experience desired rise to the top.

Happy planning!

We think alike. I would never spend the precious little time we had in port, on a ziplining excursion. JMHO

We also will be heading to Alaska this June. We are doing a 5 day land tour first with Celebrity starting 6/19. We are actually flying into Fairbanks on the 17th so that on the 18th we can do the Fairbanks Highlight Tour then attend the Midnight Sun Baseball Game at 10:30pm. Our tour will take us through Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage then to Seward where we will board the Celebrity Millennium on 6/24. I am also a big planner and want to do everything. Don't know if we'll ever get back and if we do who knows if we'll be healthy enough to do some of the things we want. This trip is for our 17 year old son's graduation from Highschool. Here is what I have scheduled:

6/24 - Seward - Hike Exit Glacier then board the ship

6/25 - Cruising through Hubbard Glacier

6/26 - Juneau - Whale Watching with Rum Runner Charters in the AM and then Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier with Temsco Helicopters then ride the MOunt .Roberts Tramway

6/27- Skagway - Rented a car and ordered Murrays Guide and will drive through Klondike Highway

6/28- Icy Strait - Still waiting to hear from a tour company in Hoonah about doing a Bear search tour

6/29 - Ketchikan - Gonna walk on Creek St, visit Totem Pole Bight Park, take funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge and walk down and then take a Float Plane with Sea Winds Aviation to Misty Fjords for some flight seeing

6/30 - Cruising the Inside Passage

7/1 - Arrive in Vancouver where we will disembark and then spend some time there a couple days then head to Seattle for a couple days.

Even though I have scheduled a lot we still have lots of time. We are in each port at least 9 hours or more. I figure we probably won't even be eating on the ship most nights because we'll be enjoying what Alaska has to offer. I have already started making lists of what we need to bring and we have already purchased our rain suits, 3 in 1 jackets, hiking shoes, Cam Corder and some light weight backpacks. Now I can just count the days.

The other night I found a show called Alaska Troopers. It caught my attention for two reasons, are upcoming Alaska trip and my DH is a State Trooper. The show is very interesting and I've seen several places we will be going.

When I first started looking into everything I also felt overwhelmed. I was like holy crap this is a full time job. We have friends traveling with us so I did all the research made list and copies of different excursions then we all sat down and picked what we wanted to do. Our friends want to somehow squeeze some ATV riding in there somewhere but I don't know if that will happen. Well have fun planning, read the reviews and look at the pictures it will make it very enjoyable instead of stressful.:)

We also will be heading to Alaska this June. We are doing a 5 day land tour first with Celebrity starting 6/19. We are actually flying into Fairbanks on the 17th so that on the 18th we can do the Fairbanks Highlight Tour then attend the Midnight Sun Baseball Game at 10:30pm. Our tour will take us through Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage then to Seward where we will board the Celebrity Millennium on 6/24. I am also a big planner and want to do everything. Don't know if we'll ever get back and if we do who knows if we'll be healthy enough to do some of the things we want. This trip is for our 17 year old son's graduation from Highschool. Here is what I have scheduled:

6/24 - Seward - Hike Exit Glacier then board the ship

6/25 - Cruising through Hubbard Glacier

6/26 - Juneau - Whale Watching with Rum Runner Charters in the AM and then Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier with Temsco Helicopters then ride the MOunt .Roberts Tramway

6/27- Skagway - Rented a car and ordered Murrays Guide and will drive through Klondike Highway

6/28- Icy Strait - Still waiting to hear from a tour company in Hoonah about doing a Bear search tour

6/29 - Ketchikan - Gonna walk on Creek St, visit Totem Pole Bight Park, take funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge and walk down and then take a Float Plane with Sea Winds Aviation to Misty Fjords for some flight seeing

6/30 - Cruising the Inside Passage

7/1 - Arrive in Vancouver where we will disembark and then spend some time there a couple days then head to Seattle for a couple days.

Even though I have scheduled a lot we still have lots of time. We are in each port at least 9 hours or more. I figure we probably won't even be eating on the ship most nights because we'll be enjoying what Alaska has to offer. I have already started making lists of what we need to bring and we have already purchased our rain suits, 3 in 1 jackets, hiking shoes, Cam Corder and some light weight backpacks. Now I can just count the days.

The other night I found a show called Alaska Troopers. It caught my attention for two reasons, are upcoming Alaska trip and my DH is a State Trooper. The show is very interesting and I've seen several places we will be going.

When I first started looking into everything I also felt overwhelmed. I was like holy crap this is a full time job. We have friends traveling with us so I did all the research made list and copies of different excursions then we all sat down and picked what we wanted to do. Our friends want to somehow squeeze some ATV riding in there somewhere but I don't know if that will happen. Well have fun planning, read the reviews and look at the pictures it will make it very enjoyable instead of stressful.:)

Hopefully you have the Tundra Wilderness tour. Also, just a heads up, it depends on the actual cruisetour, what time you will get to Seward, so you may not have time for Exit Glacier hiking.

Be sure to plan, well your time in Ketchikan. Going to Totem Bight by city bus, needs 3 hours.

We also will be heading to Alaska this June. We are doing a 5 day land tour first with Celebrity starting 6/19. We are actually flying into Fairbanks on the 17th so that on the 18th we can do the Fairbanks Highlight Tour then attend the Midnight Sun Baseball Game at 10:30pm.

I looked into the midnight sun game as well but their website lists June 21st at 10:30pm as the game time...???

I love to cruise and we are going back to AK for a second trip. I rarely book through the cruise line, I hate feeling like cattle and having to waste time in the shops, which few have anything native in them. The last trip our highlight was renting a car in Skagway and drive to Carcross, we got there before the cruise busses and the train, we could stop at our leisure and walk down to the lake and do a little hiking, take pictures of the amazing views, stop and play in the snow. We had a wonderful conversation with the ladies at the post office, they stamped our passports for us. Learned much more about what it's like to live in such an isolated area. Most of the cruise ports are practically owned by the cruise lines, so we got out as fast as possible. This trip we will be renting bikes in a few ports and doing many of the same things people will be bussed to.

I recommend everyone put their wish list of what they think they want to see and do in AK and find out which port is best for each of the top 5. Our other favorites were the whale watching which we did in Juneau, my son who was 14 loved panning for gold, we actually got some, I could have passed on that trip. We saw plenty of glaciers from the trip so we didn't go to any while on land, but we got to see them on our way out and back from whale watching. We will likely bike out this time.

No matter what you will be in aww at the beauty of the area and you won't be able to see/do everything. Good Luck

We are also going back to Alaska for the second time. The first time we did 2 excursions, a tour of Juneau (which included a salmon processing plant, the Alaska Brewing company and Mendanhall glacier) and a trip up into the Yukon with a ride back on the White Pass and Yukon train. Both were a lot of fun. We spent time wandering through each port and found them very picturesque and charming. We believe cruise vacations are for relaxing and we don't like to pack things in.

This year, we are again going for 12 days out of San Francisco, and as we have been there once before, we are a little more adventurous with our plans. We are going on a Alaska Chef's food tour in Ketchikan, the Mount Roberts Tram in Juneau, biking in both Haines, Sitka and Vancouver.

Vancouver is a great biking town capped with a wonderful trail in Stanley Park that is a can't miss. It is one of the world's great urban parks, up there with Hyde Park in London, Central Park in NYC and Golden Gate Park her in the SF Bay Area. Most of all, don't feel forces to spend every minute of every hour in port on an Excursion. Enjoy the remoteness of Alaska, it is a truly stunning part of the world.

Archived