Quick Eurodam Review - January 8 - 15

TheTGB

Getting on the ship:

We got there bright and early and were one of the first people allowed on the ship. Got through everything really fast, no lines, nothing. Probably helps we were early too, but it was definitely worth not having to stand around in line. Got on board and the rooms weren't ready yet, but went right to Lido Deck for some food and the rooms were ready quickly.

Food:

The Dining Room, in my opinion, was a little above average. A little subjective but I didn't think the variety was very good, especially on the last formal night. I expected better. Breakfast/Lunch on the Lido was always good for what you got. Late night snack room service was solid as well.

Service:

This I can't say enough about. There was always someone there for whatever you needed. Rusty working the Lido mornings/afternoons was great. Our dinner servers Ali and Dede were awesome and even invited me to go shoot hoops with them when they were done for the night. The Front Desk staff was nothing short of amazing. Sheila was the best person I had contact with. Quickly, I'll go through why. I got a private cabana set up after hours with champagne, roses, strawberries, a photographer, and the string quartet while docked at night in Puerto Rico so I could propose to my girlfriend. Despite disaster occurring (a gust of wind blew everything over and broke it all) everyone there got replacements and cleaned everything up in what seemed like 1-2 minutes. I couldn't have asked for better service from everyone.

Room:

Upper Verandah - inside room. It seemed really small. We even got upgraded and it still seemed really small. We weren't in the room that often anyway, but that's just my opinion.

Entertainment:

Magician and comedian were awesome.

However, the singers and dancers were average. The girl over sang and the guy had no range. The dancers weren't bad, but I just didn't care for them overall.

Ports:

Grand Turk - Clear Bottom Kayak with Eco-Safari - Long excursion but great trip. We had our excursion with the Shore Ex girl Cristina. She was great to talk to about other excursions. But the excursion itself was definitely worth it. Good exercise paddling up and down a little inlet with a guide who definitely knew his stuff. Both informational, educational, and a workout. At the end we went searching for conch shells and even ate raw conch from the shell after he pulled it out and skinned it for us. Definitely fun.

San Juan - Rain Forest ATVing - Was a little harder to drive than I thought since I never drove one before, lol. My girlfriend drove them all the time growing up on a farm so I let her drive after we stopped. I loved this excursion because the guides offered to take pictures with our own cameras and didn't try selling us pictures. Stopped at a couple scenic areas and stopped for a swim in a nice little river in the rainforest. A lot of fun, very beautiful to go through. Didn't see much wildlife other than farm animals which hung out in the pastures. The bus ride was long, but definitely worth it.

St. Thomas - We went swimming with sea lions at Coral World. It's not in the HAL Shore Ex book, you have to do it separately but it was definitely awesome. You can do dolphins anywhere, but not many places allow you to swim and play with sea lions. They offer you a disk of 100 pictures from your encounter afterwards on CD for $29. Well worth it since there are a ton of pictures. Really enjoyed that one.

Half Moon Cay - Seas were too rough to get the tenders out. Which is okay anyway even though we had parasailing (on advice from Cristina) and jet skis ready to go. I was starting to get sick anyway. I caught a cold and bronchitis. Figures I hadn't been sick in a year anyway.

Disembarkation was quick and painless. Definitely the best I've gone through.

Overall, I enjoyed it but I didn't find much going on at night. I like to stay up late and if I don't care for the shows I wish there was more to do. But being one of the younger couples it was tough. My grandparents and mother kept it interesting though since they didn't care for the dancers and singers either.

Oh, since the girlfriend said yes we'll probably end up cruising again sometime soon, probably for a honeymoon. Still deciding which cruise line to use as I wasn't sold on HAL.

Archived