Cruising through Europe

MoneyGuy

The missus and I are interested in doing a river cruise through some of Europe. I'm interested in both western and eastern Europe but it's too large an area to do both well so we'd have to limit our choices. We've done several ocean cruises but don't know how to go about planning this kind of cruse and are looking for ideas. What itineraries are recommended? What lines cruise these itineraries? I expect that these cruises are pretty expensive but what kind of costs are we looking for if we do, say, a 10-day cruise? Any advice is appreciated.

My wife and I have done 3 river cruises with Vantage, one in 2007 and one last year. Their prices are all inclusive of cruise, airfare and excursions. The stories are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

Another couple did a river cruise with a different line , and their story is on their website http://www.thepreismans.com

If you have any questions, e-mail us

River cruising is a wonderful way to see Europe.

If I were you I would pull out a map of Europe and look at the rivers.

The Volga is the longest river thru Europe.

The Danube is 2nd longest.

The Rhine is also of significant size.

There are cruises out there that go from 4-28 days. You just need to decide the specifics of what you want.

I would start by choosing a river that goes thru an area that sounds interesting to you.

Then I would start searching for cruises that last the number of days that fits my vacation time.

There are numerous cruiselines (all of which can be found on this site), some are:

AMA, Uniworld, Avalon, Viking, Luftner, GCT, etc...

Seems as tho you need to start researching this site>>there is a wealth of information to answer your every inquiry.

Good luck, and happy cruising!

I agree that looking at a cruise that incorporates some of your interests is a good place to start. If you have an interest in WWII, there is lots of history on the Danube. If wine interests you, you could look at the south of France, or there are some tours on the Danube/Rhine that include a focus on wine.

If you are interested in classical music - a stop in Vienna might be a focus. If you are a gardener, there is a very large gardening show in Koblenz (Germany) this year.

Because you are in Canada, some of the lines are not as financially friendly. Avalon, Scenic and Uniworld all have CDN pricing. AMA markets in Canada through GLP Worldwide - but their site (europeanwaterways.ca) indicates that the domain is no longer active... not sure if this is temporary, or if AMA has decided to take the bookings back.

Viking and Tauck only publish rates in USD. GCT and Vantage do have everything all inclusive, but there airfare is only from a US gateway --> having to get to one of the recognized gateways may add quite a cost (and therefore negate the savings...). Right now our dollar is quite strong, so booking in USD is not the issue that it was a few months ago.

You mention a 10 day cruise... There are not a lot that actually cruise for 10 days, but there are a number of options that cruise for 7, with a pre- or post-cruise stay added on.

River cruising is different from ocean cruising - but it is addictive!!! Welcome to the River cruise thread.

Because you are in Canada, some of the lines are not as financially friendly. Avalon, Scenic and Uniworld all have CDN pricing. AMA markets in Canada through GLP Worldwide - but their site (europeanwaterways.ca) indicates that the domain is no longer active... not sure if this is temporary, or if AMA has decided to take the bookings back.

Viking and Tauck only publish rates in USD. GCT and Vantage do have everything all inclusive, but there airfare is only from a US gateway --> having to get to one of the recognized gateways may add quite a cost (and therefore negate the savings...). Right now our dollar is quite strong, so booking in USD is not the issue that it was a few months ago.

The problem with USD pricing is that you will likely pay at least 2.5% in conversion costs, whether you charge it to a credit card or get a money order. I keep thinking about a US$ credit card (my sister lives in Rochester so I visit regularly) but unless you have some US$ income you have to convert to pay the bills anyway.

Welcome MoneyGuy. You are on the right discussion board for advice. There are a lot of experienced cruisers here with a wealth of knowledge.

Other posters have already pointed out the issues surrounding currency exchange. In our experience, the rates companies charge will not reflect the near parity of the Canadian dollar. Furthermore, it often seems financially advantageous to arrange your own flights (remembering to fly in at least a day early to your port of embarkation). This will also give you more flexibilty in selecting your flights from Edmonton, if that is your closest airport.

GCT and Vantage, two well respected companies, are only in the USA market and it's rather difficult too utilize them from Canada. As a result it also seems that on board they are more monocultural than other cruises.

Most cruisers probably start on the Rhine or Danube. We actually prefer the "themed" cruises, such as Christmas Markets and Tulips and Windmills. The beauty of river cruising is that, finances permitting, you have lots of options to enjoy.

As a non sequitor, I love the name Spruce Grove. Is it as beautiful as it sounds?

We actually started with the Seine --> doing the Paris and Normandy itinerary with Uniworld. It was a great itinerary to start with - and not so long that we felt "stuck" if we didn't like the experience. Lots of history with the beaches in Normandy, and lots of art history as well. We then stayed on 2 extra days in Paris on our own. Just one cruise - and we were hooked...

We did our first river cruise last summer....I picked Amsterdam to Budapest, 12 day, after lots of research ( some on CC) I decided it was a good itinerary for first time. We have been on 14 ocean cruises. I made up a spreadsheet of the major companies for the Cdn markets and took it from there. Decide on what is important to you, i.e. which places to visit, what you want in a stateroom, ( french balcony, open window) and then look at the prices. We were on the Viking Pride, category that had window that opened and we were very happy with the choice...and it didn't break the bank.

The most popular route is Amsterdam to Budapest over 1000 miles and through some 70 locks on the Amsterdam Canal, then the Rhine, then the Main River, then through the engineering marvel of the Main - Danube Canal , then on the Danube to Budapest . Allow 2 - 3 days each at start/end of your cruise in both Amsterdam and Budapest.

A new option is a 10 - 14 day cruise that operates limited departures from Passau and goes beyond Budapest to nearly reach the Black Sea . Check your TA for more details . This cruise gives both East & Western Europe.

Welcome MoneyGuy. You are on the right discussion board for advice.

Ha, guess you didn't notice my post total. I'm not new here. I'm keenly interested in WWII and am a WWII nerd - in fact, I'm listening to Rise and Fall of the Third Reich on my iPhone at this very moment. There is some good advice so far in this thread as we get into planning this cruise. Thanks, all.

Ha, guess you didn't notice my post total. I'm not new here. I'm keenly interested in WWII and am a WWII nerd - in fact, I'm listening to Rise and Fall of the Third Reich on my iPhone at this very moment. There is some good advice so far in this thread as we get into planning this cruise. Thanks, all.

Ooops! Is my face red. I was thinking you were new to river cruising. My apologies.

Re: World War II. One of my best memories on a cruise in the Lowlands was a visit to a Cemetery for our war dead outside of Arnhem. Especially touching were the graves of men from the local regiment of my home town (the Lincoln and Welland). The curator at the Arnhem museum was also refreshingly frank.

As a non sequitor, I love the name Spruce Grove. Is it as beautiful as it sounds?

Yes, it is. And although I'm one of its elected officials I'm not biased.

Some really good advice posted here so far. It will enable me to start some research. Ha, I guess I've already started by posting here. Maybe seven days with a pre- or post-cruise week-long trip added on.

• 2 weeks later...

Pacmom

Have you taken the VR ELBE River trip?

We are booked for the Oct 29 Berlin to Prague Cruise.

Any special hints about any optional tours

What hotel does VR use in Berlin?

Thanks,

MSEm

msem2 at cableone dot net

Archived