Teenager on own in inside stateroom

SailingBird

We have a 15 year old son - who is a responsible young man.

We have always up til now booked a suite so that we have plenty of room for the three of us.

It is getting to the stage where our son (and we) would like a little privacy on our holiday.

What age would be appropriate to allow him to have a single inside stateroom opposite our stateroom on his own. Do the cruiselines have an age limit ? I am a little nervous of this but I suppose I have to accept he is growing up!!!

Thanks for all opinions.

We have always up til now booked a suite so that we have plenty of room for the three of us.

It is getting to the stage where our son (and we) would like a little privacy on our holiday.

What age would be appropriate to allow him to have a single inside stateroom opposite our stateroom on his own. Do the cruiselines have an age limit ? I am a little nervous of this but I suppose I have to accept he is growing up!!!

Thanks for all opinions.

If the cruise lines have an age limit (and all do) then you have to book one parent with your son (and the other parent as a single in the other cabin). Once on the ship you can change so that your son is the single and the two parents are sharing the other cabin.

As to when your son is ready for this, only you can answer that question. Some children younger than you son can handle this. Other adults, much older than your son, cannot.

Being across the hall is probably closer to you on the ship, than he is in his bedroom, at home! The hallways are narrow! Or, a connecting cabin is another option....you're literally steps away...no going into the hallway to access each other's room, but there is a door to close for privacy.

The larger RCI ships have some balconies that connect to either insides or oceanviews if you don't want him totally on his own (towards the front and back of the ship). To answer your question, kind of, we have booked our kids in their own cabin across from us starting when they were 12 & 16. As long as the cabin is directly across from or connecting to your cabin you can book them as they will be slept in. At least we have always been able to with RCI. Can't comment on other lines.

Make sure to get an extra key to your son's cabin so you can get in when you want to. We also have an extra key to our cabin in the kids cabin in case they need us. Set rules, expectations and consequences prior to sailing, follow through and you will be fine.

1) You know your son best. Do you trust him? It matters less what my definition of a responsible young man is versus yours ;)

2) As to cruise logistics, I have a larger family and have always booked a couple adjacent rooms, always one adult in each. Once on board we allow the kids to swap and share an inside cabin togather. They are as another poster said closer than at home and with locked door we feel safe. We have rules like when you come back from kids club tell us, and we always have an extra key and check in on them.

3) Now a party of 3 is a little different. I guess a suite is likely more than a balcony and inside single so still ahead for $??

Thanks for all opinions.

This is a conundrum we've wrestled with for some time, my step son is now nearly 18 and we definitely don't want to have to curfew, or climb over him in the mornings and so on, we've travelled with friends for a few trips who also have responsible teens and we've been able to split the cost of an additional cabin, but unless we all commit to the same trip we're stuck with it too - and all the indications are that the single supplements (of 90% or higher) rule that out if we do travel as a family of 3.

David

You know your son as far as how much you can trust him, I would absolutely trust my kids.

And I am, we are booked on The Victory and the kids are in an inside cabin across the hall from us, age 13 and 15. Different cruise lines may have different rules, but we were allowed to book the kids thier own room as long as they are ajoining, across the hall, kitty corner or next to our room. We did not need to book one adult in each room, I think Carnival allows kids to have thier own room at age 12 using the above mentioned room locations.

But it will cost more to have a single in a double room. Have you thought about bringing a friend of his along? He may have fun with a friend and would enjoy it. It would give him someone to hang around with.

Some teens can't be trusted...some can. I knew mine could be.

I thought I could trust my daughter as a teen, however, she did a couple things that was way out of charachter for her. She did sneak off the ship with friends that she made on a cruise.

I thought I could trust my daughter as a teen, however, she did a couple things that was way out of charachter for her. She did sneak off the ship with friends that she made on a cruise.

Wow, you must have been crushed when you found out not to mention mad as H--L!

I think teens are definatley "different" when with their parents than with their friends. I think most parents would be shocked if they could see how they act when they are with their friends.

Toni

The Secrete Service, with all of its assets, cannot fully protect one person. Life has risks.

How often are neighbors interviewed after X kills some people and the neighbors say, X was a really nice person. I cannot believe X did this.

Just got back from a long weekend (land) trip with five 14-15YO girls. All very responsible, good kids. They stayed in an adjoining room. And (apart from staying up a bit too late - they were responsible for setting their own time line and paid the price :D Live and learn!)

I spend a lot of time with young people -- scouts, youth sports, high school band trips -- most of the kids are good. There are a couple of "bad apples" but you find out who you can trust and who you cannot, which kids who would otherwise be good who can (and likely will) be led astray. You need to give them some minor responsibilities and feel out how they deal with them and adjust your expectations. There is no one "right" answer.

Archived