What's up with the "No Top Sheet" thing, anyway?

Nitemare

I just find the duvet much too warm. I agree with the poster who suggested having a folded top sheet available on the closet shelf for those of us who like to be cooler. I always request a top sheet and it is brought almost immediately.

We found the duvet much too warm for us and didn't know we could ask for a top sheet to use. So........ we just cranked down the air to freeze and then turned it back up to a more normal temp when we got up. Worked out fine as long as you didn't need to get up during the night.

Cruisin Oldies

I just find the duvet much too warm. I agree with the poster who suggestedcloset shelf fo having a folded top sheet available on the r those of us who like to be cooler. I always request a top sheet and it is brought almost immediately.

Key words "those of us" - everybody does not want one so it would be a waste of effort, laundering and expense to have one or two in every closet. Don't you agree, especially when you can get one almost immediately by asking your steward.

I remember the horror on the face of a friend in Yorkshire decades ago when I commented on the absence of public drinking fountains in the UK. :eek:

And yes, their house used duvets. We both learned something about each other's homeland and their respective attitudes about commonplace things.

I am familiar with duvets, and knew that they were European. Wouldn't have been surprised to see this on P&O, but was surprised to see them on a US-Centric ship.

And no public drinking fountains on the ship, either! :)

We don't like sleeping under a "doona" which is what they are called down here. We much prefer blankets as we can take them off when we need to. I cannot remember not having a top sheet when we were on the Ocean Princess back in May last year. Perhaps I had already requested our steward to provide us with one as that is the only way we can sleep with a doona, they are far too hot and even when you shake and shake them down so the feathers get to the bottom, they are still warm.

I must remember to ask our steward in April, the moment we meet him to provide us with a top sheet.

Jennie

I would love to know where to buy them for my own house. Love them, no top sheet for us.

Jan

Look for them in stores such as Target, Shopko, Walmart, and Kohl's....we bought ours at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I believe they are also found in Department stores such as JC Penney, Macy's or Herbergers... Duvets and covers are common in our area. You can buy them in different weights and fills...I got the medium weight, mid-line kind, meant for all year around. Some people have different weight Duvets for different seasons of the year. You can get them with a fiber fill, or down fill, too.

I would love to know where to buy them for my own house. Love them, no top sheet for us.

Jan

I've had one for years; got it at Bloomingdale's, I think. Any full-service department store (not necessarily just the high-end stores) will carry them and an assortment of duvet covers. You can also get them at Bed, Bath & Beyond. In fact, I see that BB&B has a pretty informative page about what to look for when buying a down comforter.

Key words "those of us" - everybody does not want one so it would be a waste of effort, laundering and expense to have one or two in every closet. Don't you agree, especially when you can get one almost immediately by asking your steward.

It's no more effort than having a spare blanket there; and if it's not used then it doesn't have to be laundered or replaced.

Sometimes I just don't think of it until I'm ready to pop into bed, and at that point I don't exactly feel like calling "stewart" and waiting for my sheet to show up.

So I'm just curious about those of you who are reluctant to get into a bed with a previously used duvet unless there are at least two layers of freshly laundered linen between you and the cootie-ridden quilt. What do you do when you plunk your bathing-suit-clothed body down on a lounger that another half-naked person has just vacated? Put down a plastic tarp?

As I stated earlier, they wash the duvet covers every three days in all cabin but with suites, they was them daily. We did the ships tour and I asked how often they get laundered.

On the Caribbean P. earlier this month, the sheets were not changed at all. I change the sheets once a week at home, so I don't need my sheets changed more often, but I just happened to notice because I accidentally got a pinpoint mark of eyebrow pencil on the duvet cover around the second or third day and it was still there the last day. We did get clean towels twice a day, even though we always hung them up to dry. :rolleyes:

Try http://www.thecompanystore.com/ They have a huge choice of comforters and duvets. And the comforters are on sale!

Patsy

And if you already have a bunch of quilts or comforters, you can buy duvet *covers* too -- we found them even in places like Shopko and Target. Think of them like a "pillow case" for a comforter.

Top sheet and egg crate are the first things I request (along with a sharps container as I have to daily inject due to MS) They have gotten everything done before we get to the state room. (wondering if it is because of the Sharps container that they look twice at our request) The top sheet is for my travel friend. We always go south on vaca. And I always pack sweats :) hehehe she is usually very warm so we set the temp lower than I find comfortable. So she uses a sheet only on her bed and I am in swets and under every sheet and blanket and Duvet available in the room to keep warm.... I must like my travel friend a lot to do this :) When I travel with others there is never this issue..... So tops sheets are good as far as I am concerned..... So Carib for us in 2012 I am looking for sweats now to make sure I have a pair or two to pack..... hehehe

Teri

And if you already have a bunch of quilts or comforters, you can buy duvet *covers* too -- we found them even in places like Shopko and Target. Think of them like a "pillow case" for a comforter.

Thank you, Uppity Cats. I always thought the duvet WAS the cover. Now I'm wondering about the difference between a comforter and a duvet!

Patsy

Hi Patsy...Not much difference between the two. I think with a comforter the cover is more optional. They can sometimes be decorative. The duvet is generall all white and sort of a bag with feathers, down or synthetic filling. All the duvets I have known need to be shaken to properly distribute the contents. Comforters are constructed more like quilts and the filling stays put.

I Think. Woulsd love to hear from others on this....

Seemed to be one piece to me. And with an untucked cover, one of us rolls over, the other one is uncovered! I know, personal problem, but real to us! ;)

Agreed that it was too warm for us as well.

When did this change happen?

Oh! No! Could it be your avatar?

So I'm just curious about those of you who are reluctant to get into a bed with a previously used duvet unless there are at least two layers of freshly laundered linen between you and the cootie-ridden quilt. What do you do when you plunk your bathing-suit-clothed body down on a lounger that another half-naked person has just vacated? Put down a plastic tarp?

No, but I do put down a towel:)

No, but I do put down a towel:)

I hadn't even thought about the lounges.......Yikes! Is nothing sacred anymore?

And, now that I think about it - the duvet's do not have a "slip-cover" type covering. Do you really think they're going to change-out the duvet's after every customer? I bet the Steward is told to do a cursary inspection of the duvet and if it doesn't look dirty he/she simply places it back on the bed for the next customer.........

Oh! Top Sheet, FOR SURE!!!!!! :eek:

Archived