Princess Bed Survey

gooch47

Are princess beds  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Are princess beds

• Too Hard
    • Too Soft
    • Just Right

No problem with the beds for us....nice and firm, the way we like them. Only problem is that sometimes the cabins are too warm and the duvets make it too hot. And maybe that's more of a problem for northern people who are used to curling up with lots of blankets......just don't like a warm bedroom.

So that's not really a bedding problem, just our problem !!

And I have another question.....do you bring your own pillow ? We do when we have room in our luggage.

We've only been on one Princess cruise, Sapphire. I felt like I was sleeping on an ironing board the whole time, very uncomfortable.

I did take a travel blanket with me, so I slept on top of the duvet with pillows under me, it was almost tolerable then. I was very happy it was only a 4 night cruise and this May I fully intend on requesting an egg crate mattress topper. I guess I just like comfy beds

We have a Simmons Backcare mattress at home. It is like sleeping on cloud, as one doesn't even feel the mattress. To us, our bed on the Sapphire was like sleeping on a rock. But then almost any hotel or cruise ship mattress feels like that to me. It's not just Princess beds.:)

Honestly, they are so bad for me that i wake up in agony. For our upcoming panama cruise i'm thinking of calling at walmart and buying a mattress pad and make me look for another cruise line for 2012. Our last two cruises have honestly been brutal for me

I stood looking at our broken down mattress on the Crown earlier this month and asked myself if I would put up with a mattress like this in a hotel and the answer was immediately clear to me. NO! Ours on the Ruby last week was so hard that even with one of the new toppers, not the eggcrate, my hips ached each morning.

The mattresses are fine. It is the duvet that makes it difficult to sleep - I'm either too hot with it or too cold without. I wish we still had an option for sheets and blankets.

I don't know from experience but another poster on the thread about no top sheets said you can request a top sheet and a blanket instead of the duvet. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1345786&page=2

As for the beds I love them, I sleep on a very firm mattress at home and felt like I was on my own bed on the Sapphire in April.

Did alright with the mattress with an egg crate (2) on it. The pillows were not to my liking and since I like about 5 pillows (each just a little different from the others) I am used to not having good pillow trips. :p

When a mattress has been wrecked by some of the real "heavyweight" passengers that appear on cruise ships it can ruin things for the later passengers

Personally if the mattress is good and firm with an egg crate added we are absolutely fine and never experience back pain etc

However if its been wrecked then just one night sleeping on it severe back pain is the result

Clearly Princess need to act and change such mattreses fast

I hate to think that Princess will see this forum, (which is a 'Princess' thread and heavily skewed with the Princess-can-do-no-wrong) and use it to tell themselves that their beds are okay.... To justify the hard, cheap. mattresses. :confused:

On the Ruby, I had ordered the mattress pads, which were not there. Anyhow, in the excitement of boarding I had forgotten all about it. Until a little later when after getting situated a bit, I sat on the bed, and it was like sitting on a ROCK... I mean, the minute my behind hit that mattress, it was obvious. I looked up after almost jarring my back by plopping down on that thing, and said to my Husband... "The mattress pads... We've got to make sure we get one NOW...

Apparantly, they were out, because it seemed that they tried to substitute something else for the thin foam pads. Didn't help too much... Just enough for me to get a little sleep.

AND TO NOTE: BECAUSE OF MY BACK, I ACTUALLY PREFER A PRETTY FIRM MATTRESS... FIRM AND 'ROCK' ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

PS: Reading reviews of the Diamond, there was one poster who thought that the mattresses they put in during the dry-dock were better... Don't know if it was just because it was new, or all in their head, or what.... Because Princess has not admitted to improving their same-old-same-old mattresses.

We board the Ruby in 29 daysfor our 19th Princess cruise. Have pre ordered the 2 foam pads but 9 times out of ten they aren't there when we board. Have to remember to check immediately for them!!The rock-like, cheap mattresses are our only problem with Princess and and I really wish they would upgrade the mattresses to a better quality mattress like their parent company, Carnival.

I hate to think that Princess will see this forum, (which is a 'Princess' thread and heavily skewed with the Princess-can-do-no-wrong) and use it to tell themselves that their beds are okay.... To justify the hard, cheap. mattresses. :confused:

Despite your conspiracy theory, I honestly, non-cheerleadingly find the beds to be totally, non-backachingly fine. I sleep on a firm mattress at home and find many highly-touted beds to be too soft. I'm sorry the world isn't always to your liking, but - as someone earlier posted - maybe some of the individual bed problems are due to pax, not Princess. I've seen folks onboard whose girth...well, you know...I'm just amazed there are any intact chairs left at the HC...no offense to anyone...

Maybe you should go to a board of non-Princess cruisers and ask them what they think of the beds on a line they seldom/never cruise? And maybe I should start a poll here asking what people think of Carnival's decor?

Despite your conspiracy theory, I honestly, non-cheerleadingly find the beds to be totally, non-backachingly fine. I sleep on a firm mattress at home and find many highly-touted beds to be too soft. I'm sorry the world isn't always to your liking, but - as someone earlier posted - maybe some of the individual bed problems are due to pax, not Princess. I've seen folks onboard whose girth...well, you know...I'm just amazed there are any intact chairs left at the HC...no offense to anyone...

Maybe you should go to a board of non-Princess cruisers and ask them what they think of the beds on a line they seldom/never cruise? And maybe I should start a poll here asking what people think of Carnival's decor?

OK, we typically cruise on RCI and up until a few years ago, they had ironing boards for beds like Princess does now, we've only been on one Princess cruise. They changed them out and the beds I slept in the last 3/4 RCI cruises were wonderful.

I've only taken one Carnival cruise and found the decor to be cheesy and garish, not only in the atrium, cabins and entertainment areas, but the stairwells and elevator lobbies as well. I look at Carnival pics and it just turns me off, but we prefer understated elegance to in your face decor any day. Other people find it interesting.

We have a group of family/friends cruising on the same Princess ship in a few months and we have cautioned them regarding the overly hard beds.

WOW. Amazingly rude. I'm a size 10 and wake up in agony. There is a reason they run out of egg foam mattress covers. It's because the beds suck

I have never complained about the mattresses on Princess but since there was a poll I did check too hard. My Jan cruise on the Ruby was the hardest I have experienced. But it seems to me that all the Princess beds have been quite hard. I used to have firm mattress all the time until I kept waking with backaches. In the later 90's we splurged and bought a King's Down mattress extra deep pillow top on both sides which we do turn few times a year. We haven't had backaches since, like sleeping on a cloud and after all these years it is still just like new. Best purchase we ever made! I don't expect any ship or hotel to have that kind of mattress but I do think they could be a little softer on Princess. That being said, I have never had problems sleeping anywhere enclucing on Princess. I think the sea air and the rocking and rolling just put me right to sleep. I would never think of cruising on another line to have a softer mattress, I LOVE Princess too much to change lines.

WOW. Amazingly rude. I'm a size 10 and wake up in agony. There is a reason they run out of egg foam mattress covers. It's because the beds suck

Not meant to be rude, and anyway someone else suggested it here first: obviously, pressure breaks down beds. And also obviously, there are some very plus-size people on a cruise. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. And while perhaps I shouldn't have made the HC joke (sorry), I saw a number of people onboard a couple of weeks ago who were so fat that, honestly, it looked like they could barely walk with anything approaching a normal gait. I am not condemning those people, especially since one day I may be among them, merely pointing out that a 300-pounder will break down a mattress faster than a slimmer person would.

I'm sorry you wake up in agony. I don't. A majority of people in this admittedly informal poll don't. You may think the beds suck. I don't. First night onboard the Sapphire, I asked my partner about the bed. Response: "Feels just fine." So that makes at least two of us. However, I wouldn't state "the beds don't suck" as an objective fact.

And yes, my admittedly fading memory of HAL beds is that they are in fact nicer than Princess beds. FWIW.

Our bed aboard the Diamond was so hard and we kept trying to get comfortable. About Wednesday, we requested the egg crate. Actually, we'd put the order in with the TA, but it wasn't there.

We were in an inside stateroom, in the second lowest category. And the bed was the only thing to sit on. We're trying one more Princess Cruise in a VS to see if we can stand the beds. Next time, we're starting with the egg crate the first day.

We figure if the beds are uncomfortable in a VS, Princess may not be for us.

Mattresses can be damaged by children jumping on them too.

Archived