28+day cruises..how do you cope?

grandmaa

To those who have cruised for 28+ days on a cruise how do you cope with being away from home for that period of time re: family, mail, health issues? We are seriously thinking of doing one but when we think of the logistics we cringe..any helpful hints to get us through the stay away from home for that period of time...thanks in advance for your responses.

I do 95% of my bill paying using Quicken, so I can set up bill payments to be made a month in advance. My income is automatically deposited into my bank account so I don't have to be concerned about having the money there the next month to pay the bills. If the bill is variable, like electric and gas, I set up payment for the highest amount within the previous three months.

I have two cats and have a pet sitter come twice a day to check on things and feed the cats. Before leaving, I give my vet a letter with the dates I'm leaving and returning, and general instructions should anything happen while I'm gone. I had a cat pass away several years ago while I was away and that was very hard. She was elderly (17YO) and had health issues, and the outcome wouldn't have been any different (she had a seizure) if I'd been there but I was still sorry I wasn't.

Seems like an ominous task when you think about it all at once, but we did the 107 day World Cruise last year and LOVED it....

Wasn't that hard to orchestrate....like Pam said, our bills are paid with our banks bill pay; automatic deposits; and you will have internet, so you can add, change or pay bills manually if you want.

Hired a pool guy for 4 months; son mowed the lawn a few times; had DS and DD come by a few times to check on things and all was well.

The biggest hassle was getting the US Postal Service to hold my mail for so long. They don't want to hold for more than 30 days; I needed it held for 107. So we negotiated - they held for 107 days, but my son had to pick it up every 30 days and bring it to my house....so it finally worked out.

Most bills were expected and monthly, but DS checked the mail when he picked it up - sent in our auto insurance payment for us (I had left a few signed checks for him just in case); got a jury duty subpeona - he filled that out and mailed it in, etc. He would email me the amount for gas, water, electricity and I would plug in the $$ to my bill pay account. Just little things...no biggie

But would definitely recommend a long cruise - loved the sea days...

Because I travel often, most of my bills go directly to my son's house. When I'm gone, I just forward the rest to him. I leave him my checkbook for any payments that need to be made.

I can keep up with what's happening at home via email. To cut down on receiving emails, I send out requests to family and friends not to email me all kinds of forwarded stuff we are all use to receiving.

Based on itinerary, which I leave a copy of for my family, I let them know via an email if I will be calling whilst in a certain port. Of course I have international calling on my phone to help cut the cost.

For anything that would be of an emergency type situation, well that's what cruise insurance is for. It helps knowing that any financial expenses that may be involved are covered.

Just about all our bills either draft our checking account or are charged to our credit card. All income goes to our checking account. I go to the credit card websites and pay those bills. They are set up so I can make online payments from our checking account.

We schedule medical and other appointments around our travels.

I send emails most days and get frequent ones from friends and family at home.

(Wow Pam.... I could have written your exact post! Right down to the "lost a cat while away part" :()

To the OP: It is essential to good health to "disconnect" from the pressures of the world. You'll be surprised at how well things will go with just a little pre-planning!

As others have stated, try to have as many bills charged to your credit cards as possible (this also helps accrue rewards from your cards faster). Then, have those card paid in full automatically from your checking account each month. This is SO simple and easy to do, and you will never have an accidental late payment. For the few bills that I do pay manually, I simply send in a larger fixed amount (say $200) and the bill is covered for the next few months.

Pets and family and health issues are trickier, but all can be covered with clear directives and helpful friends and neighbors. We have a whole group of friends who share house watching, cat/dog sitting, airport rides, etc. Have your mail & paper stopped entirely (you can do this online). The mail will be delivered when you return.

Also, If you aren't ready for that 28 day trip, then build up to it with a 14 and perhaps a 21 to see how things go? :)

To those who have cruised for 28+ days on a cruise how do you cope with being away from home for that period of time re: family, mail, health issues? We are seriously thinking of doing one but when we think of the logistics we cringe..any helpful hints to get us through the stay away from home for that period of time...thanks in advance for your responses.

This is what we've been doing in recent years, whereas 28 days has become one of our shortest cruises. What I do with electric, telephone, water, cell phone and cable is to prepay them. I just triple a bill and mail a check. Usually I pay it on line, but this way I don't have to bother logging in every month. Health insurances, car payment and mortgage come directly out of my checking account. Other insurances are prepaid too. Credit cards are paid on line from the ship. I use my own netbook and not the ship's computer.

Mail of course is another story, since as previously mentioned, the USPS only wants to hold for 30 days. So we do that and have deliver on day 31. My friend picks it up, takes it into my house and drops another hold ticket into the post office. Works well.

Everyone who matters has our itinerary, and of course we are constantly keeping in touch via email.

Last Spring we had a 12 day South American cruise (17 days away from home) turn into a 23 day cruise (28 days away from home) due to the earthquake in Chile. All our income is direct deposited and all bills are paid electronically - the only check we write each month is to our gardener. Our dog was with neighbors so we just sat back and enjoyed the two days anchored in Valparaiso harbor and nine days sailing back to Buenos Aires. As others have said, mail would have been an issue if we had been delayed much longer.

To those who have cruised for 28+ days on a cruise how do you cope with being away from home for that period of time re: family, mail, health issues? We are seriously thinking of doing one but when we think of the logistics we cringe..any helpful hints to get us through the stay away from home for that period of time....

Wish I had that problem. :D

Rely on friends and family to help. You won't be totally out of touch as you will have internet and phone if need be. Just make sure and get insurance. Don't let things like mail and bills get in the way of enjoying your life. Have fun.

Thanks to all for the wonderful advice..I already do some of the things mentioned when we have been away for 3 weeks. We have done 2 Trans Atlantic cruises being away 21 days but longer we have not tried..but it is on the drawing board. Good neighbors and children who pitch in when needed are what makes longer travel somewhat easier..but, that little word with a big meaning, we need to wrap our heads around being away longer! It is a work in progress...thank you all!!!

How do we cope???? Very well, thank you.

Actually being away 5 weeks is about our limit. The dogs start to forget who we are.

I have a check-list I use before we go.

Call credit card companies to tell them you will be using cards out of the country. Make advance payments on major bills. Stop mail. Haircut, nails, etc. Pack laundry sheets. Refill all prescriptions. Etc. Have copies of all reservations, flights, color passport copies, etc.

We have no problems with longer cruises and can easily handle logistical issues for 2 months. Things have become much easier, these days, because of the internet, bill payer systems, direct debits, etc. When we take long trips we ask our post office to hold our mail and handle most financial affairs via the internet. Our Credit Union offers free bill payer services and most public utilities can now be set-up so they directly debit bank accounts (or do automatic credit card changes). It is easy to access financial accounts from anywhere in the world via the internet. In order to accomodate our travel habit we no longer have pets.

Hank

Newspapers are picked up by the neighbors. Mail automatically goes into the garage. Bills - automatically paid by electronic from a special checking account for bills only -- just make certain we have enough monies in that account before we leave home. Medications -- we always make cerain that we take plenty -- at least an extra weeks worth -- drug store preps bottles for us. Family -- none. Neighbors who pick up newspapers also check house even though we have an alarm system.

I think the more operative question is not how do you cope but how do you budget?

How do you know in advance what an average 28 days at sea cost?

Take a 7 day and multiply by 4?

If you are talking about onboard and ashore spending, I find 28 days is less than 4 seven day cruises. There are usually proportionately more sea days on the longer cruises and we spend more in ports (tours, etc) than on the ship.

As others have stated, my bills are automatically debited from my bank account. Mail can be forwarded for up to one year. To make it a little easier on my friends, I have my mail forwarded to a Post Office box. A friend picks it up every week or so and goes through it to be sure there's nothing that needs taking care of.

I live in hurricane country and have no family with legal authority in the area, so I have found one more way to "cover all bases." If, heaven forbid, the house should be damaged by a storm or burn down, it would be a greater expense than one can reasonably expect a friend to pay out. I pre-authorize one of the local fire/water restoration companies to take care of mitigation work in my absence. The authorization allows them to draw on my insurance to "put a lid" on serious house damage. All my neighbors have to do is let them know. It beats trying to fax a power of attorney from some exotic place.

Luckily for us we have family and friends look after our home and pick up mail on their daily visits.

BUT, I could never be away from home that long. Just off the NCL Jewel (10 days) and on the last day I couldn't wait to get back home.

Going away for any length of time does take a lot of planning. To me the main things are having a trusted person check on our home, get our mail, have an ample supply of medications and money :D, emergency numbers and a way to stay in touch with family and/or doctors.

Also making sure we travel with a good insurance policy is a must. Dental problems or other medical issues can come up at any time.

Of course passports, ID and emergency contact numbers are important as well. Making copies of all your documents and leaving a set with a family member as well as bringing an extra set and putting it in your safe will be a big help if you misplace something.

Online bill pay makes our life easier and anything we may pay with a check we put in an envelope and give to our family member to mail. (or just mail it early)

With wi-fi everywhere is so easy to keep in touch and check on things.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, no matter the length.

Like many who have answered here, we use internet and credit card payments for regular bills and pay our taxes and rates on-line when they fall due (I have a spreadsheet that tells me when all payments are due).

We can be contacted by family, either via internet or text messages on our phone.

In addition, we are fortunate to have a wonderful house-sitter. She moves in the day we leave. This means we don't have to worry about getting mail held or re-addressed, or about the welfare of our cats. In return, she lives rent-free, with power and Sky TV paid by us. This seems to work well for all of us and our insurance company is also happy that the house is not left empty for long periods.

A neighbour's son mows our grass for us - we pay him half in advance and half on our return.

Before we go away, I visit the vet's office and make arrangements for our cats to be treated, if necessary, while we are away - and for us to be billed on our return. No way we would impose vets' bills on our house-sitter, but we like to be sure the cats will get treated, if they are ill.

I give the house a real good clean before we leave - don't want another woman discovering my housekeeping sins! ;) DH has as blitz on the gardening during the week before we go.

The weeds grow well while we are away and we usually have to have several gardening sessions soon after our return.

Archived