Is tipping optional??

jadzhea

"Not to totally rain on your parade, but be aware that the additional fuel service charge can be imposed with little or no notice. Just another expense to think "

Maybe the captain will ask us for a whip round for fuel when we are onboard!!

Ha ha

I feel the biggest confusion about "tips" is that they should just be rolled into the cruise fare. I know there are countries where tipping is not a part of their culture. Look at Australia, tipping is not something they do on a daily basis but they do when they cruise. If it were a service fee, or supplement like the fuel surcharge, it might not be looked at in such a negative light. Noone wants to be overcharged and nickled and dimed to death. Perception is reality and all the people that are saying " if you can't afford to tip, don't cruise.", need to understand the OPs background.

Just sayin

I fully understand where they live and how they could be confused, but their concerns and questions were addressed correctly.

It may not be the answers they were hoping for, but they asked for clarification and got it.

I feel that at least in the future they and others reading this thread will factor in ALL costs associated with a cruise and be better prepared to plan and budget for their next vacation.

I do agree that the snide remarks offer nothing and in the end help no one, especially the OP.

Many of us at least tried to state the 'facts' regarding tips.

"Tips" are not mandatory and strictly your choice. How much staff/crew are paid is between them and the employer. In saying that, we do give gratuities but would never listen to our American neighbours who seem to think every man and his dog must receive a tip.

You do what is best for you, bearing in mind that American's want to tip everyone. Some of the rest of us in the world are more discerning on who we tip.

And I would be inclined to check your paperwork again. Most of the Brits have their tips automatically added to their bill by their TA. Make sure you TA hasn't already done that.

To Liz54

Also, as you are obviously so concerned about ethics (low wages, feeding their families etc), and Bad Karma!!!, could you please have a word with your Government for me about all the innocent seals that have been clubbed to death over the years... Cheers:D

This was not called for!

Nobody was picking on Brits so please don't start picking on us Canadians!

You have obviously misunderstood the spirit of CC : we are here to help each other learn as much as possible about cruising. Can we please stick to that?

Hi Planesailing

Thanks for your opinion... I thought it would take a fellow Brit to back me up!!

I applaud you if you want to pay the tips,I just feel a bit bullied into it, and probably all the experienced cruisers will look down their nose at me

I am not saying I wont tip.. We have been on holiday before... I am not mean nor am I rich..

I am sure Royal Carribean wouldnt refuse my money if I told them the opinion of posters ' if you cant afford to tip dont cruise'!

Hi Jadzhea

All that that talk about tipping from our american friends is amusing, I was in new york last year and after having dinner in a well know resteraunt were the service was unbearably slow i only tipped 10% and was told by by head waiter that 20% should be tipped for any food service. I laughed and asked him what about mcdonalds were the service is allways fine and there is never a thought of the staff there getting tips

To sum up prepaid tips is grand and if you get extra special attention and can afford to do so by all means.But dont feell bullied.

Cheers;)

I hate tipping threads mostly because there is so much misinformation(in some cases deliberately so by people who have an ax to grind or a particular view of the world).

The service people on most of the tipping cruise lines are paid a base salary of something around $100 per MONTH plus on board room and board and some on board medical care) here is a thread from someone who works/ed in the dinning room that talks about this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1107696

They do take home more because they get a draw against the tips and the tips themselves.

This method of paying the traditional tipped crew goes back to at least the early 1900's and was continued by Samuel Cunard who was born in Canada and immigrated to England.

In fact in the 1910-30 there was a movement in the US to do away with tipping-which obviously failed.

Because of the fare structure now the remuneration for the traditionally tipped crew is NOT included in the fare. Generally those cruise lines that do include it charge more than the difference between the cost of tipping non tipping(Azamara announced a 25% increase and included the "basic" tipping and some other items-none of which when added together could justify a 25% increase-but I don't know if the full increase has held this is an example I realize that the cruise line your are sailing is not Azamara or Seaborn or other of the luxury lines where in general you pay a premium to get the base tip included-do you really think that people no longer tip on these lines).

Whether its in the fare or the expected tip, its you are paying it anyway. I really don't see why you may want to pay more to have it included in the fare.(I believe it will cost more to have it added in the fare)

On most cruise lines when you remove the auto -tip all or most of the cash tip is put back into the pool anyway so in fact you make it more difficult for those who you want to reward. The best way to reward these people is to either write a note to their supervisors explaining how they went over and above or giving them a little extra(at your discretion of course).

The auto tip takes care of what the employees were required to do anyway(called tipping out). The rooms stewards traditionally tipped out the laundry room supply room staff and asst head housekeeper(the name for this varies among cruise lines); and the waiters tipped out the bus boys, dishwashers, line cooks and asst head waiter/maitre d(also varies by cruise line).

Do the employees just pocket the cash? mostly no. If the auto-tip is removed and they don't turn it in(BTW I have been told by some staff they sometimes convert extra tips left by some which they don't have to turn in at all to pay for the removers because they ARE marked down when people keep taking the auto-tip off and leave nothing or less than the suggested amount-rightfully or wrongfully its held against them). The employees live in close quarters 3-4 in a room and they don't want large amounts of cash lying around either. The employees know pretty quickly who are the slackers and pocketers and since the supervisor is one of the people being stiffed by the employees they get a. fired b. non renewed or c the worst assignments....and also have been known to be visited by their own countries of origin mafia on board.

Ships are clearly a different culture with somewhat different rules. The tipping culture is a tradition on board. I know some people dis like being told when in Rome....but you aren't in Kansas either.

There is also not one iota of evidence that the entire auto tip doesn't make it to the traditionally tipped and tipped out crew. The cruise lines even absorb the credit card charge. Cruise employees sue cruise lines all the time and there is NOT one report of any crew member that the entire amount doesn't eventually get to them and not one reported lawsuit...yet(I monitor a number of cruise lawyers reports who would report any such lawsuit)

. I will remove the auto tip in England but if the service warrants I will tip.

Now them is the facts. If you would like to discuss the facts please do but just like you may complain when someone on formal night wears shorts, traditions should be obeyed.

and I have no problem reducing the tips or leaving less when service is poor but many times the problem people complain about(slow service-was this a kitchen problem-or you didn't like how the food was spiced) has nothing to do with the server anyway....

"Tips" are not mandatory and strictly your choice. How much staff/crew are paid is between them and the employer. In saying that, we do give gratuities but would never listen to our American neighbours who seem to think every man and his dog must receive a tip.

You do what is best for you, bearing in mind that American's want to tip everyone. Some of the rest of us in the world are more discerning on who we tip.

And I would be inclined to check your paperwork again. Most of the Brits have their tips automatically added to their bill by their TA. Make sure you TA hasn't already done that.

Now that would be funny. If after all the ranting, if OP has already paid the tips.

It's considered bad form and quite rude not to tip. Even cruise lines based in the UK and Asia ask for tips so it's not exclusively an American thing. And I will say that the UK Is doing a pretty good job of accepting, and even adding in, tips for many things. Rather interesting when you consider our lovely Brit cruisers bring up the fact that tipping isn't something that happens in the UK. Not so, as evidenced by the numerous gratuities I've paid on all my holidays in London, Dublin, Edinburgh, and various cities in England.

You do realize that not everything is included in your cruise? Once on board, there are a lot of things that cost extra, and it sounds as if you might not be aware of it all. You could very well find yourself with a very high bill at the end of your cruise.

If you don't want to tip, then don't tip. But like I said, it's bad form not to do so. It's not the workers fault that their wages from the cruise line are meager. And, UK wage laws are NOT a part of this. Why do you think cruise ships aren't registered in the US, but rather in places like Algeria, Malta or Liberia where there are no wage laws.

I object to the manner in which Travel Agents (and cruise lines) promote Inclusive Cruise Pricing.

We cruisers know - there are many extra options to take our money, once our cruise is underway.

It is my choice how I spend my budget for "optionals".

Tipping is neither an option nor is it Inclusive.

However, bar service is with mandated tip already added, with your purchase.

So, for cultures not regulated/accustomed to Tipping, I understand, 100%, where they are coming from, and the emotions associated with the functionality of on board tipping.

No dispute that service workers Are worthy of pay - but should cruisers be in the position of settling the payroll? or should their employers (cruise line)?

I do the pre-pay tipping and forgetaboutit! The drinks are auto-tipping.

IF anybody goes above and beyond my expectations, it is my pleasure to add a little extra at the time of service (think: Windjammer and Room Service).

Otherwise, on my own, I add the gratuities to the cost of the cruise.

I don't like this process - I think it puts certain cultures off and occasionally could result in a service worker getting slighted.

You'll not have to pay 15% on bar sales....RCI have removed this from Indy sailing from Southampton.

Another time, check out British managed ships, where tips are either suggested or included.

Jo.

I thought the drink prices were raised by 15%, so it is paid, but isn't an extra line item like on other ships.

Well, that article was rather interesting. Not a job I'd want to do, certainly. Makes me wonder why anyone would want to work a cruise ship, LOL!

Yes, it's true you'd tip over here too - we have a lovely thing called 'service included' in some restaurants which you may see added to your bill. Seems to be 12.5% mostly. But if it is, then you don't need to tip further.

I have to say, I'm very intrigued by the idea of a cruise. I have no real idea what to expect! But looking forward to it; seems to be a whole different world, somehow.

This was not called for!

Nobody was picking on Brits so please don't start picking on us Canadians!

You have obviously misunderstood the spirit of CC : we are here to help each other learn as much as possible about cruising. Can we please stick to that?

Apologies!!

I just get the feeling someone telling me I have created Bad Karma may have already made a voodoo doll and started sticked pins in it!!

Just a joke by the way, we really dont need to go to war :D

Hi Jadzhea

All that that talk about tipping from our american friends is amusing, I was in new york last year and after having dinner in a well know resteraunt were the service was unbearably slow i only tipped 10% and was told by by head waiter that 20% should be tipped for any food service. I laughed and asked him what about mcdonalds were the service is allways fine and there is never a thought of the staff there getting tips

To sum up prepaid tips is grand and if you get extra special attention and can afford to do so by all means.But dont feell bullied.

Cheers;)

Hi merseyside... good choice of name by the way!!

Thanks for your support in my opinion... I witnessed plently of Americans not tipping while on holiday in Florida, and that is their choice... I have not said I am not going to tip, I will use my discretion but I certainly wont be told what I should give...

I am sure a lot of people feel the same, they are just too afraid to say so!!

I dont think its a case of 'stiffing them'!!

I work long hours and I dont get tipped nor would I expect it, I think it should be a personal thing based on what you can afford not what they tell you to give.

Sorry, it has absolutely nothing to do with what you can afford. Like someone else said, if things are beyond your means, why do it? The tips are a very small portion of the entire cruise bill.

And as far as you not being tipped, why use that argument? Unless you work in the service industry, your comment is not part and parcel to the issue. Most jobs don't have tipping as part of the job description, unless it's the service industry. And if tipping isn't part of the UK culture, why hasn't any of those I've tipped in the UK ever handed it back to me? If it's such an unknown thing in the UK, those tips I've given should have been returned, but it has never happened.

Apologies!!

:D

Apology accepted!

Hope you have a lovely cruise.

Only problem is, they are addictive, as you may have noticed from these boards, some people have done 20 - 30 and more:eek:. So as soon as this one is paid you will find yourself saving for the next one.

I would also like to point out that we don't tip here in Trinidad either, if we ever do it is our choice for extra special treatment and it is NOT 20%. This is also my first cruise and has nothing to do with affording since it is a prize. Also 1USD is a little over 6TTD so for the tips expected are a lot.

Tipping is an American thing but cruising is not so it unfair for posters to bash other posters whose culture is not like that.

Sorry, it has absolutely nothing to do with what you can afford. Like someone else said, if things are beyond your means, why do it? The tips are a very small portion of the entire cruise bill.

And as far as you not being tipped, why use that argument? Unless you work in the service industry, your comment is not part and parcel to the issue. Most jobs don't have tipping as part of the job description, unless it's the service industry. And if tipping isn't part of the UK culture, why hasn't any of those I've tipped in the UK ever handed it back to me? If it's such an unknown thing in the UK, those tips I've given should have been returned, but it has never happened.

Obviously people are not going to give you the tips back... They probably thought you were very generous , and the whole point is THAT IS YOUR CHOICE!!

I think your attitude of things being beyond my means is rather rude and insulting... You certainly don't know me or know what my means are, my original point was I thought the level of tipping was excessive... Are you saying cruising should be reserved for the wealthy?? I just like a lot of other people who haven't cruised before , wanted to try something different...

Well, I think that if you do not want to tip at least the recommended amount suggested than you should not use the services and let the staff take better care of the people who do tip.

Really?? I'll tell my child not to eat and drink for 10 days shall I ??

Get real...

I would also like to point out that we don't tip here in Trinidad either, if we ever do it is our choice for extra special treatment and it is NOT 20%. This is also my first cruise and has nothing to do with affording since it is a prize. Also 1USD is a little over 6TTD so for the tips expected are a lot.

Tipping is an American thing but cruising is not so it unfair for posters to bash other posters whose culture is not like that.

There is an expression, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you are taking a cruise out of a U.S. ports .. why should you expect Americans to subsidize your cruise? Its built into the cost to me, so if you arent tipping, either others have to make up your shortfall, or the cruiseline has to raise the price overall.

From what the OP said she would be cruising out of the U.S. If cruising out of the U.K... then use their tipping standards. .. but it is after all is said and done your own choice how much to tip. Even NCL, though I hear it is hard, you can remove the charge for tips/service charge as its now being called. As they start calling it a service charge, to me it gets harder and harder to justify having the charges removed.

There is an expression, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you are taking a cruise out of a U.S. ports .. why should you expect Americans to subsidize your cruise? Its built into the cost to me, so if you arent tipping, either others have to make up your shortfall, or the cruiseline has to raise the price overall.

From what the OP said she would be cruising out of the U.S. If cruising out of the U.K... then use their tipping standards. .. but it is after all is said and done your own choice how much to tip. Even NCL, thought I hear it is hard, you can remove the charge for tips/service charge as its now being called.

Nope.. I am not cruising from the US.. Leaving from Southampton ... And I most certainly do not expect Americans to subsidise my cruise... Nor should I have to subsidise low wages!!

I look at it this way, the cabin steward is paid $50 per month salary by the cruise line. They have about 17 cabins, so that is $3 per cabin. If all of the cabins are double occupancy, that makes it $1.50 per person for the month. That is a nickle a day that the cabin steward is paid from your fare. Can you tell me that that is fair compensation for everything that is done in your cabin each day?

Archived