Quilt shops in Alaska

waquiltcruiser

Sitka has a shop called "Abby's Reflections," and it is located within site of the historic church (can't miss it in the center of town).

They stock a fabric called "Sitka fabric" which has images of Sitka's landmarks.

DH and I are in the process of making an Alaska-themed quilt as a gift for my parents, so we've researched a lot of Alaska fabric sources!

I had seen a fabric somewhere (while on a trip) that had the famous sign in Ketchikan on it... "Welcome to Alaska's First City... Ketchikan... The Salmon Capital of the World." I never could find a source for it online!

Silver Thimble is in Ketchikan: http://www.silverthimblealaska.com/index.php?p=home

This is the one that is on the second floor of a little mall (Salmon Landing) that another poster mentioned. It is close to where the ships dock.

Changing Tides took us quite a while to find in Juneau but it is farther along the main shopping street, again up on the second floor. Their website is: http://www.alaskastitching.com/.

The two shops in Skagway that a previous poster mentioned had merged into one shop by May 2010. It too is close to the ship docks. The website is: http://www.rushintailor.com/index.php.

I've not been to Sitka so I don't have any knowledge of quilt shops there. But there is a wonderul designer based in Sitka. Her website is: http://www.quiltswithatwist.com/. You should see her pattern and kit of Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay!!

I hope that helps. Enjoy your trip to Alaska, and visiting the quilting stores!

I remember a Quilt shop in Ketchikan in a two story 'mall' in 2008. Lots of moose and bear fabrics and fleece.

Also saw some fabric in Ben Franklin.

My mom goes to the one in Ketchikan everytime great stuff also the Ben Franklin in Juneau plus Ben Franklin has great prices on t-shirts if you need to purchase gifts :)

We did an Alaskan cruise in July with another couple we always cruise with. She is a quilter so we always check out the quilt shops. The one in Ketchikan is a very nice shop and is in the two story mall just a short walk from the ship as others have said.

I know you won't be in Skagway, but I wanted to share my story of the quilt shop in Skagway. We were in the quilt shop and my friend told me to go on ahead and catch up with the guys, she would be a few more minutes. So I did.

This Christmas she handed us a beautifully wrapped box. In it was a quilt that she made for us to remember our Alaskan cruise together. It has the northern lights, bears, moose, etc. and is beautiful. She bought the material in the shop and had it shipped home so we didn't see her carrying any pkgs.

What a wonderful souvenir to have for our cruise and we couldn't believe what a nice thing she did. Believe me, she was thanked many times.:) In fact, I then took all her Alaska pictures and put them in a really nice album for her. She hates to organize pictures (she rather be quilting, haha).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.;)

I have had two cruises to Alaska - both going to Sitka and Ketchikan and as an addicted quilter - I made sure I found shops in both towns. Sitka has Abby's Reflections. It is a very small shop with a somewhat decent selection of Alaskan themed material as well as quilt kits. She also has a nice selection cross stitch kits (Alaskan themed) for sale. She does mail your purchases to you for an extra charge. I purchased several pieces of material, two quilt kits and 4 cross stitch kits. I am taking the cross stitch and will be quilting it with the Alaskan fabric making it into a nice wall hanging.

She got all of the items into one priority envelope and charged me $5.95 for the mailing. The shop is located across the street from the St. Michaels Cathedral.

Silver Needle in Ketchikan has a BIGGER selection of material and will be worth the stop in there. You can see the mall that it is located in from the dockside of the ship. When you get off and cross the street - go to the right. It is in the building across the street that has the Harley Davidson store is located in. Just remember that Ketchikan is a short stop - you have to be back on board by 1:00 or MISS THE BOAT. The shop does not open until 9:00 AM so it will have to be one of your first stops. The have an amazing amount of material - both Alaskan themed and standard material. I didn't get past the material so I can't tell you what else they have.

Either way - enjoy your cruise. :D

Edited by Okie1946

I remember a Quilt shop in Ketchikan in a two story 'mall' in 2008. Lots of moose and bear fabrics and fleece.

Also saw some fabric in Ben Franklin.

It may be the same shop, but there is a wonderful yarn shop in the same "mall."

You didn't indicate what port you are leaving from, but if Seattle, there is a quilt shop at Pike Market. This summer they had on display two original quilts which were NOAA nautical charts of puget sound. They were quilted in the style of Hawaiian quilts with the land and water depth appliquéd on then the lines of quilting outlining them concentrically. The quilter added appliqué orcas and fish. Not to be missed!

• 1 year later...

I wanted to thanks all the Quilters for the info on shops in Alaska! I found the info very useful as we will be going on a cruise in June and also want to make a quilt as a reminder of our trip. Thanks again! I can't wait to check out these shops.

Sitka has a shop called "Abby's Reflections," and it is located within site of the historic church (can't miss it in the center of town).

They stock a fabric called "Sitka fabric" which has images of Sitka's landmarks.

DH and I are in the process of making an Alaska-themed quilt as a gift for my parents, so we've researched a lot of Alaska fabric sources!

I had seen a fabric somewhere (while on a trip) that had the famous sign in Ketchikan on it... "Welcome to Alaska's First City... Ketchikan... The Salmon Capital of the World." I never could find a source for it online!

Abby's is wonderful!! The lady that owns it is really nice. Watch out for the old black dog that resides there also. He/she is hard to see and easy to step on. He/she will go behind the counter when someone comes in.

They not only have wildlife fabric, they have beautiful fabric with Alaskan Native designs on them. And if you find you need more when you get home, you can order it and they are really fast. You can even get fat quarters.

Here's a link to the specialty fabric they carry.

http://abbysreflection.danemcoweb.com/shop/category/wildlife-fabric/

• 3 years later...

The Rushin Tailor and Changin' Threads are the same company if I'm not mistaken.

I've ordered online from Rushin Tailor. Quality of kits, fabric is great and service outstanding. :) How I wish I was going to be in Skagway this time around.

Thank everyone for the info. My DH says there isn't a piece of fabric that I DON'T like (isn't that the truth !!) I have noted these shops for our cruise next year. Someone mentioned Seattle, how about Vancouver ??

Thank everyone for the info. My DH says there isn't a piece of fabric that I DON'T like (isn't that the truth !!) I have noted these shops for our cruise next year. Someone mentioned Seattle, how about Vancouver ??

This thread is a little old so you might want to check for updated information before your cruise.

I found a quilt shop by happenstance in Granville Island Market in Vancouver, last year. Sorry, I can't tell you the name or provide more details on the location.

Umm, turns out Google is my friend. The quilt shop is The Cloth Shop and the address is 104, 1551 Johnston Street.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

The Silver Thimble in Ketchikan changed hands in 2014. It isn't as large as it used to be, but is still worth a visit.

If you are going to Hoonah (Icy Strait) there's a nice quilt shop in the cannery, which is adjacent to the visitor center.

At the time I responded - we had been to Alaska on two cruises - Now we are ready to leave for our 5th one.

Have found A LOT more shops - it all depends on where you are going.

The Silver Thimble has been sold and is now Whales Tail Quilts. Same location in Ketchikan

Juneau - Changing Tides - 175 S. Franklin # 203 - Very small shop but has some really great fabrics and will have some interesting packages put together. The bundles of 5 fat quarters are really neat.

Icy Strait Point - Hoonah - Quilt shop is located in the Cannery Warehouse building and it's a nice store too - But then every quilt store that I have ever been into is a nice store. :D

Seward - Sew'n Bee Cozy - 211 4th Avenue (Quilt) A Flying Skein 223 4th Avenue ( Yarn)

Skagway - Rushin' Tailor - MY FAVORITE !!!!

Anchorage The Quilted Raven - down town - about 3 blocks from Where the free shuttle bus from the ship drops off and picks up. Located on G Street between 4th and 5th.

Homer - Sewciable Quilts 1130 Ocean Drive and Seams To Bee 1103 Ocean Drive

Kodiak - Flying geese 202 Center Ave Suite 320

Sitka - Abby's Reflections (two doors down from St. Michaels)

If you do the Land tour and wind up going to Denali - there is a really cute quilt shop on the other side of the highway.

Whitehorse - Bear's Paw Quilts -

Hope these give you some ideas. And enjoy your cruise

Okie1946