FV chances for 3 adults?

TMLAalum

My widowed gf would like to join DH and I for a Solstice class cruise. The layout of the FV would be ideal for the 3 of us in that it would give her & us private rooms and she could travel more economically than having to book at a single rate.

What are the chances of getting one of these cabins? The schedules for the itineraries we are considering in 2012 are not yet published- is it first come, first served?

My widowed gf would like to join DH and I for a Solstice class cruise. The layout of the FV would be ideal for the 3 of us in that it would give her & us private rooms and she could travel more economically than having to book at a single rate.

What are the chances of getting one of these cabins? The schedules for the itineraries we are considering in 2012 are not yet published- is it first come, first served?

We had an FV on Solstice this month. It wasn't available for booking (two of us) until about a month before sailing, and then all of the sudden there were three cabins available, so we jumped on it after having originally booked a 2C.

Bear in mind that the second bedroom is rather small, and you'll be sharing a washroom... but if those factors are acceptable, you'll enjoy the trade-offs of a large living room and (if on Deck 8) a bigger balcony.

For a party of three, they might be available from the time that sailing goes on sale, so keep an eye out and be ready to book (or have your TA ready).

We had a FV on the Eclipse and booked it again for this December. Both times we had to have 5 people in order for Celebrity to release the room to us. They would not do it with any less.

However, as time draws nearer, they will accept reservations for less than 5 people. But as has already been pointed out, it will be much closer to sailing time. There is always a small chance that you could get booted out of your room if there is a family of 5 wanting a FV. I haven't seen it happen in person, but there have been people on here that have had that experience firsthand.

The FV's are held for families of 5 (or perhaps 4). On many cruises they are not booked and X will open them to others including couples. Longer cruises that are not over scheduled peak vacation dates are more likely to have FV's available. Generally they are released about the time final payment is due. Sometimes FV guarantee rates are available if the cabins do not get booked. When they do open, there is often a flurry of activity as people who are booked in other cabins will change their cabin to get one. This is especially true of the M-class corner FV cabins. One plen might be to book a triple and then make a change if/when one opens.

It may depend on the length of the cruise. My wife and I have booked M class corner FV's several times; once as far as six months out. These were all fourteen or more night cruises, ie. transatlantics or round trip Hawaii, so maybe they anticipate less family activity. There was never an issue that there would only be two of us.

I would just watch their site daily.

Good luck.

If past experiance holds true then your chances of booking it shortly after the 2012 itineraries are out are zero. If I were you I'd book alternatives and keep a close eye on bookings. Typically if these are not all booked by the large parties of 5 by the time the cruise gets near then they will be released for booking by smaller parties between 2 and 4 months before the cruise date. But they go fast when released so your only hope is to keep a eye out.

You might also pay close attention to prices of alternatives. You might find it isn't much more expensive to get two lesser adjacent cabins or an outside or veranda along with an inside across the hall. This will go a long ways in providing privacy, storage space and an extra bathroom. This might also be a lot more comfortable for the third person than the fold out soda beds in the FV which I think designed more for younger children than for adults.

As sasset said above, it will depend on the length of sailing and whether or not it is during a school holiday. We, just DH and I, have had corner FVs 3 times on TA cruises -- and have, for at least one of those sailings, gotten our choice of cabin over 6 months in advance. Good luck!

Have you considered the Celebrity Suite on the solstice ships? They have a seperate bedroom and a full bed pull-out in the 'living room' that I suppose could be made up each morning, back into the couch for seating etc. Just a thought for three adults wanting some privacy.

Archived