Prepaid Gratuities

labraiser

Tipping is of course at your discretion, so no, you're not obliged to tip over and above the prepaid tips. However, many people feel that an additional tip for people who have gone out of their way to be helpful to you is a nice gesture. Additionally, if you order room service or that type of "extra" it is considered polite to give a dollar or two in tips for that sort of thing.

There is no need to tip extra. If toward the end of your cruise you feel someone has gone over and above, you can (many do) tip that person(s) extra. IF your butler isn't the one that brings you room service orders, most ppl give a few dollars to the person bringing room service. Tips are added onto each drink at bars etc

I got the distinct impression during our last cruise that our butler expected a "double tip" we prepaid up front, but he offered envelopes near the end of our trip.

Our cruise was very port intensive...we weren't in room very often and our butler didn't really have much chance to do "extra" that would have earned him a double tip.

He mentioned that the tipping has really gone down since they implemented auto tipping.

I got the distinct impression during our last cruise that our butler expected a "double tip" we prepaid up front, but he offered envelopes near the end of our trip.

Our cruise was very port intensive...we weren't in room very often and our butler didn't really have much chance to do "extra" that would have earned him a double tip.

He mentioned that the tipping has really gone down since they implemented auto tipping.

That's tacky.

I'd give the Butler a tip -- GET ANOTHER JOB!!!

I should have pulled the automatic tips. Our service was poor. Our cabin steward and waiter were awful. In the past I have always tipped at the end of the cruise. I always got asmile and athank you. And, usually it seemed that the staff tried to please. That wasn't the case this time. I even questioned mt stweward and all he said was it was on the print out. No thank you, no smile. Do they really get those tips or is it a scam? The service was very much different. In fact after the final day to pull out of the automatic tips, the service went further south. It was that poor. Never again will I just do automatic tips. Actually it may be a very long time before I book another Celebrity cruise. I have sailed on Azamara and it seems to be like the old Celebrity....great service and many smiles. Time to try different lines. Just being elite doesn't cut it after this cruise.

Even if YOU prepay, they don't GET the money until AFTER your cruise....generally, on their next paycheck date.

I am with A Sixth. Still scratching my head wondering what you meant by your comment? :confused:

I am with A Sixth. Still scratching my head wondering what you meant by your comment? :confused:

I have not noticed any real consistent difference in service with the introduction of auto tips. There are occasional variances, but no more then the envelope only days.

Frankly, if things are exceptional or we asked for a few extras we still stick a few bills into a envelope. (Like a party we hosted last cruise and our Stew had extra ice, snacks and glasses for our bar-set-up draining :D)

Archived