Booking Early -- How do you handle insurance?

smdawheel

I have booked all my cruises to date 2 - 6 months prior to departure, and have purchased flights and insurance close to the booking date. I am thinking about booking a Med cruise for next September as soon as they are released. For those of you that book that early how do you handle the insurance?

Thanks in Advance

Sue

We purchase insurance as soon as we enter in a phase where we could incur in penalties if we had to cancel our cruise (normally at the final payment date. We don't purchase flights before that time either).

Also, we don't purchase insurance through the cruise line. We go to a website used to "Insure My Trip" where we can compare different policies and purchase the one we select right on the spot.

I have booked all my cruises to date 2 - 6 months prior to departure, and have purchased flights and insurance close to the booking date. I am thinking about booking a Med cruise for next September as soon as they are released. For those of you that book that early how do you handle the insurance?

Thanks in Advance

Sue

I buy our insurance when I buy plane tickets or at final payoff, which ever comes first.

I have "pre-existing" conditions and get insurance at the time of booking so I will be covered. I would like to find a policy that covers you with existing health concerns (which are stable at the time of booking) at the time final payment is due. Regardless, I pay my money and take my chances. I do self insure on low cost trips that I don't need air for like a 7 day in the Caribbean. For a cruise tour or a cruise to Europe with air, hotels, and cruise then I buy the insurance.

I have "pre-existing" conditions and get insurance at the time of booking so I will be covered. I would like to find a policy that covers you with existing health concerns (which are stable at the time of booking) at the time final payment is due.

I understand that CSA covers pre-existing conditions and you do not need to purchase until final payment on the cruise is due but I have not checked it out myself. This may be something for you to look at.

I just found this on the CSA website at http://www.csatravelprotection.com/frequently-asked-questions.do

Is it possible to insure pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes, CSA can accepts pre-existing medical conditions for you, your traveling companions and family members. Moreover, CSA offers its customers the flexibility to cover pre-existing conditions up to final payment. Pre-existing medical conditions are accepted with most of our plans when you meet two requirements. First, you must not be disabled from travel when you buy the insurance. Second, you must purchase the insurance prior to or within 24 hours of your final payment.

I was really surprised to see what they consider "pre-existing". I've never had a serious medical issue like a stroke, heart problem, etc., so never thought I had a 'pre-existing' condition. However, I was surprised to learn that if you take cholesterol medication, blood pressure meds or the like, it is considered that you have a 'pre-existing' condition, even if you've never had a serious problem but take the meds as a preventative. So, needless to say, I buy the insurance when I book. A small amount for a large peace of mind.

We had to cancel about 3 years ago when my then DBF had heart surgery, and insurance covered basically every penny (airfare was a pain, but we even got that back eventually).

I've alway bought my insurance from Access America. I purchase it during the 14 day window after making my initial payment. Too many things are considered pre-existing and I don't want to take any chances.

When I had West Nile virus several years ago on an Alaskan cruise and had to fly back to Illinois, everything was eventually paid by the insurance company. It made me a true believer! I normally am very healthy. That whole thing just flattened me !

We always book at least a year in advance.

We also always buy insurance immediatly upon booking to receive the "Pre-Existing" waiver. As airfare, hotels, and any other non refundable expenses come up, we just call the insurance provider and increase our coverage.

We always book at least a year in advance.

We also always buy insurance immediatly upon booking to receive the "Pre-Existing" waiver.

We also purchase a policy within 15 days of our initial trip deposit, as required by Travelguard to receive certain benefits. I am not really sure one wouldn't do so.

I've alway bought my insurance from Access America. I purchase it during the 14 day window after making my initial payment.

Some TAs offer a policy from Access America that covers existing conditions as long as it is purchased on or before final payment.

Jim

Archived