question about medicine?

ryano

I totally get the fact that I need to take my prescription meds on board in their original containers. They will be in my backpack which will be my carry on.

With that said, I also take a multivitamin, 1000 mg of vitamin C and Zinc as well every morning.

Do I really really have to tote these gigantic bottles of vitamins on board with me ? :( I would love to just put what I need for 5 or 6 nights in a pill bottle or sandwich bag but I certainly dont want to be accused of smuggling drugs :o

I guess its best to carry the big bottles with me? Any suggestions?

Prescription medications that you need are best brought in their actual bottles with the official label. You can have your pharmacy provide you with smaller labeled bottles. Vitamins (assuming you could do without them for the trip in the tiny chance they were confiscated) would generally be fine a generic pills box mixed with other non-prescription remedies.

my family and I have always taken our medicines in baggies or weekly pill boxes and we've never had a problem with them.... Taking every medication with in its original bottle takes up A LOT of space... and its easier to just take them in other containers that are more "luggage" efficient.

You do NOT have to bring the original bottles, unless you're transporting quantities of controlled narcotics....

Your normal blood pressure, heart, asthma, ....whatever meds are fine to bring in daily planner containers.

No one gives them a second glance.

A consideration should be made about where you are departing...for instance if you leave Dubai, the rules on meds are way more restrictive than leaving out of US ports.

spot on advice!!!!! God Bless America!!! other countries can be tough!!!!

Another good reason to take meds in the original bottle is in case of emergency, family members can easily tell medical personnel what meds you take...if you dont take them in the original bottles, at least list them somewhere for quick reference...

Unfortunately there is some potentially dangerous misinformation on this thread. While TSA encourages (but does not require) prescription medications to be in labeled prescription bottles, customs can confiscate your medication and hold you for an extended period of time (in the U.S.) and if you are flying to another country it is even more important as local authorities in other countries often require prescription medications to be in appropriately labelled containers. While it is a pain-in-the-butt to carry medications in labeled bottles if you are on several such medications, there is a chance (albeit a very small one) that your medications will be confiscated by customs officials if you have them in a pill box type container. It does not matter if you have done it 100 times and nobody ever said anything, it is a risk. Most pharmacies will give you appropriately labelled small sized bottles for travel purposes so they do not take up much space. IMHO it is better safe than sorry, even though the chances are quite low of running into trouble, especially if they are medications that are very important that you take every day.

I don't take my medications in original packaging.

They go with me in those "weekly planner" pill boxes.

Yup, same here. I never bring the original bottles. Certainly, I can see why that would be a good, safe idea, but I have to say its never been a problem to have my medications in a pill carrier.

Going into the UAE for many drugs you need doctors letter explaining the need for the RX, and for some meds, which are OTC here, are illegal to bring in there without getting approval of their health minister ahead.

Again, know the laws where you are flying in and follow those regardless of how many folks say they have slipped by before. Go check some of the Dubai cruise threads and you will see some folks get by often and then they get stopped...many British folks in jail for carrying things into the UAE we would never give a second thought to...

If you google the list of restricted rx you can find a long list including rx you would never think would be illegal... I scoured the list to decide what to take or not...I have no meds on the restricted list but may skip taking my headache meds because apparently they fall into a sometimes an issue sometimes not...and if I do get a headahce I will drink a couple drinks and take a nap and wake up fine.

We have always taken our meds in 7 day planner boxes, and always take an extra week supply in case we are delayed or drop a pill.(it has happened) I used to carry the original bottles with labels but no one ever checked them so on our last b2b I took the labels off the bottles as we finished a 90 day script and just stuck the label to a 8x11 cardboard backing and carried it in my folder. Our names and all the script information was on the label including pharmacy, phone number, dosage, date, physician etc. This really lightened the load in our carryon because we had about 17 bottles along with 2 types of insulin ,syringes, and diabetic testing supplies. I do carry a letter from my doctor stating that these meds and supplys are necessary.

If we were traveling to Europe or Asia I probably would take the original bottles because if they were confiscated it could be life threating for us and I wouldn't take that risk.:eek:

If you are getting directly on the ship and not flying, I would not worry about the original containers.

We package our pills on a daily basis in a seal-a-meal type strip. Because my dh takes so many meds (some are controlled substances) and we get the huge mail order bottles, we also carry the prescription papers that come with the mail order. That way it fits into a gallon size ziplock bag instead of a suitcase. Also in that ziplock bag we carry a two page list of his doctors and his conditions. It works for us even when we fly in the US.

The OP appears to be sailing on Radiance in a few days.

My husband takes a variety of medicines. Normally he puts them in a weekly pill planner for US travel and we bring a list of the medicines and doses. He hasn't been stopped or had any medicines confiscated.

When we travel overseas, he brings the original pill bottles as a precaution. I keep a small bottle of assorted OTC medicines in my purse - ibuprofin, Benedryl, Pepto, Aleve. In Schiphol airport (Amsterdam) my purse was taken for additional inspection after the scanners. I couldn't prove what the individual pills were since they were mixed in a single bottle. Fortunately, the customs agent only confiscated the bottle and didn't detain me. If it had been my husband's necessary meds that were confiscated, we would have had a real problem! His bag wasn't flagged for inspection so I think is was simply random that mine was. I had another bottle with the same OTC meds in my checked bags, but those got through without a problem.

I use the weekly planner and do not take the original bottles when I cruise the Caribbean or travel within the US by air. I also have a list of my medications with dosages and my doctor's contact info in my wallet. I have never had a problem. TSA isn't screening for drugs, they are screening for guns, knives and bombs. My pill box does not leave my stateroom so I don't have to worry about the islands.

I would definitely change my practice if I were travelling abroad (outside the Caribbean). There are two many differences in drug control to chance it.

Thanks everyone :) Im not flying so no TSA would even be involved. I thought I had read on here that prescription medicines MUST BE in their original containers to carry on the ship.

Maybe I was just mistaken on that. I just didnt want security to think I was smuggling drugs on board LOL! the multivitamin is obvious but the Vitamin C and Zinc could resemble narcotics I guess.

I appreciate the input. I will get me one of those weekly planners to put all my meds in :)

In 2006 our friends did a Rhine River cruise and when they got to the airport in Amsterdam to fly home their bags were scrutinized. They had their medication in the original bottles with labels as well as lists signed by their doctor of what the meds were for. They had to show the list and the security lady really looked everything over carefully and then said they could go. However, she unscrewed the top off each bottle and said she had to keep the bottle tops! They were left with no tops on their medication bottles and had to put all the meds in a plastic bag and sort them all out when they got home.

Go figure.

I think US customs requires original containers and suggest med list signed by doctor.

BUT in all of my cruises even though I have had my drugs in original containers (mostly) and had them as carry on, they have been never looked at. On my last cruise, I was given a pat down and he felt a drug container in my pants pocket. I offered to take it out and show him, but he said NO. He new what it was from the pat down.

But I will still take my many drugs/vitamins in original containers, just in case custom person is having a bad day.

IMy last trip I put my meds in individual baggies and I made labels on a label maker that included the name of the drugs, the milligrams, dose, description and my doctor's name and phone number. I did the same for the vitamins but wrote "non - prescription"

The TSA did look in my carry on and saw those pills and said it was a good idea to have all that information written down.

The truth is, drug smugglers can just as easily put their stash in legit pill containers. I bet it happens all the time.

Archived