How to get from Passau to Prague

Kingvalley

We want to visit Prague after our Danube cruise from Budapest to Passau. However, Uniworld only provide transport to Munich Airport and not to Prague unless we use their land package. Any ideas?:confused:

I have been to both cities, but didn't go from one to the other. Knowing the area, I would say that renting a car would probably be the best. Train connections might take you out of the way.

You can check train and bus schedules here: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?rt=1&

Trains are about 5.5 hours Passau to Prague with one to two changes. I think it would be a waste of time to take the transfer to Munich just because it is included. It is 5 hours by train from Munich central station so no time savings. And no cheaper either.

I would not bother with a flight personally as the trains are easy and comfortable.

Since there are no direct trains, the car is the way to go. It should not be more than 3 hours at most. This compares favorably against the 6,5 hours on the train. The train is a hassle, on very small trains through the Bavarian and Bohemian Forest, changing in the middle of nowhere.

There are no buget airlines on the MUC-PRG route, so that does not help.

I have another idea, which is cheap, fairly hassle free and fun. Why not take the direct Intercity train to Regensburg (beautiful Unesco Heritage historical city), spend a night in a hotel or a just few hours (left luggage options at the station) and then take the direct ALEX train to Prague?

You could also head to Nuremberg by train and then take the direct bus to Prague. I much prefer Regensburg to Nuremberg but this is an easy option as well. The station in Passau is small and very easy to navigate with regular ICE trains to Nuremberg where the bus leaves from just outside the train station.

I have used Mike twice on both my trips to Prague. Since you can leave early, there is no reason he won't be willing to stop in Cesky Krumlov, and even to see the brewery and gigantic town square of Cesky Budejovice (the original Budweiser) after that, which is right on the way to Prague. Mike can also arrange to have his friend, Jiri, meet you there so you can have a local guide to more efficiently see the place. You could be in Prague by 6 PM. Just email Mike to negotiate what it will cost. He has a microphone in his minivan so everyone can hear and is very flexible to meet everyone's needs.

I have used Mike twice on both my trips to Prague. Since you can leave early, there is no reason he won't be willing to stop in Cesky Krumlov, and even to see the brewery and gigantic town square of Cesky Budejovice (the original Budweiser) after that, which is right on the way to Prague. Mike can also arrange to have his friend, Jiri, meet you there so you can have a local guide to more efficiently see the place. You could be in Prague by 6 PM. Just email Mike to negotiate what it will cost. He has a microphone in his minivan so everyone can hear and is very flexible to meet everyone's needs.

If you have a chance to visit Cesky Krumlov, do! We sometimes go on a daytrip. It is absolutely wonderful.

We have booked through Prague Airport Transfers. They seem to have gotten good reviews. Has anyone on here used them? We booked online, both our airport to hotel upon arrival and our Prague to Passau transfer. They are less expensive then Mike or Martin, you pay the driver and they allow a stop for lunch at no extra on the trip to Passau. Sedan for up to 4 people is one price. We plan on stopping in Ceskey Krumlov for an hour or so and the wait time is only an extra $13 an hour, which is pretty cheap I think.

Edited by Tarheel72

Tar heel, if I remember correctly, you will need a few hours to experience C-K since you will be dropped off and picked up from the parking lot which is a bit of a walk to the castle and then down to the town from which you may be picked up from a different parking area. I would recommend using a local guide to make the most of your brief time there. Of course, that will take some preparation and expense, but I think it's worth it.

• 7 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, go2bch said:

Tarheel72. Did you use Prague Airport Transfer? Were you happy with them.  We are thinking of using them for the exact trip.  Thanks! 

Yes, I think that was who we used.  I read your other posts and yes a train or bus to Salzburg and 4-5 hours there is more than enough in my opinion.  We had about 3.5 hours in CK and saw everything and never felt rushed.  Great photo ops there and the castle is the main attraction.  The rest is mostly wandering the streets and taking photos.  Beautiful city but compact and easy to navigate on foot.

Interesting side story.  Our driver told us the Germans liked to stop nice cars with Cech license plates when they crossed the boarder, to check the car for drugs.  Sure enough, about 5 minutes after we crossed the boarder into Germany, an unmarked German police car pulled us over.  We had to turn off the road and park, and they had everyone get out of the car and show our documents, and then they looked in all the luggage.  We stood there for about 15 minutes and waited for them to finish.  We loved it, it gave us a good story to tell on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

Just another data point .... Here's who we used:

PRIVATE-PRAGUE-GUIDE.COM 
Travel Agency Custom Travel Services s.r.o.
Pristavni 24 | Prague 7 | Czech Republic

info@prague-guide.cz

Jay was great in handling our bookings. We had a driver-guide pick us up at the ship in Passau and he took us to our hotel in Prague, with a stop of several hours for lunch and a tour in Cesky Krumlov. It was a fantastic day. The next day we went on a 6-hour tour through them that was also excellent:

The “Best of Prague” Private Walking Tour - Recommended by Fodor´s
- all-in-one 6-hour tour, itinerary:
- 2 hours right riverbank walking tour (Old Town, New Town, Jewish Quarter)
- 1 hour boat ride “Prague Venice” with refreshments (included)
- 1 hour lunch break (lunch not included)
- 2 hours left riverbank walking tour (Charles Bridge, Little Quarter, Prague Castle)

Since we had 5 days total in Prague, the tour gave us an excellent overview to help us refine what we wanted to spend more time seeing and doing the rest of the time we were there. I wouldn't hesitate to use this company again.