NCL Fans- what don't you like

gargoyle999

Is that used in place of something that hangs on the door knob? If so we may like that better. On Carnival the tag to hang on the door always seems to fall off when you go to open the door when inside the cabin unless you open it really fast and grab it or really really slow. It makes DW mad.

That's one of things that I really do like also. Hate the door tags.

Obviously nothing stops us from sailing NCL and I can't imagine anything that would, but I do not like the fact we can not even bring on one bottle of wine for consumption in our cabin, and I wish the cabins were a little larger on most of the ships. We do find the food in the main dining rooms sometimes hit or miss, mostly we are satisfied. No, it isn't anything like the whiners would like you to think, but we usually do get one meal that could be a little better.

The food is like that on Carnival as well. As far as wine that is good to know that you can't bring any, we usually bring some since Carnival allows 1 bottle.

Are you allowed to bring on soda on NCL?

The food is like that on Carnival as well. As far as wine that is good to know that you can't bring any, we usually bring some since Carnival allows 1 bottle.

You can bring wine on NCL....They charge a 15$ corkage fee for each bottle.

This is where miscommunication happens. NCL allows you to bring as much wine onboard as you want. We routinely take a case to a case and a half. Each bottle is charged a $15 corkage fee for you to enjoy anywhere on the ship whether it is in your cabin, dining room, specialty restaurant. People have also brought sodas on with no problem.

Hey G.. just want to clarify.. you can bring any number of bottles if you have a favorite wine and feel like you won't find it onboard. What the poster was meaning is that they wish you could bring some onboard at no cost. For every bottle you bring you pay a $15.00 corkage fee. If you want, I can find you the link on NCL that will explain what size bottles you can bring and the corkage fee associated with it. The only one I remember off the top of my head that you can't bring are those that are a big box of wine with a spout thing on it. This is all for wine only. Other alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought onboard for your onboard consumption.

EDIT> sorry..I just saw someone posted with this info and as they said.. you are allowed to bring as many sodas as you want to, even though the office policy on NCL say you cannot.

When do they charge the corkage fee? If it's even for a bottle in your cabin is it charged at embarkation? Otherwise you could just open it yourself without paying.

If you carry on, it is after security. If you put it in your checked bags and it is detected, you are called to the naughty room. when you pay the corkage, a "corkage paid" sticker is affixed to each bottle. If you show up in the dining room, without a sticker on the bottle, you will be charged then.

correction, I didn't word that right, you can bring it on but you have to pay the $15 corkage fee up front, unlike other lines where if you consume it in your cabin there is no corkage fee. I am sorry, I should have worded it differently.

Yes, you can bring all the soda and water on you want.

Nita

I just love cruising!!! Probably the one thing I wasn't crazy about was the lack of TV programs..now this may be due to the ship..location or what..don't know..and honestly don't watch a whole lot of it..except for real early AM or before going to bed and winding down..or just down time in general. Not a whole lot to choose from.

For me..the food was good..my husband thought there wasn't enough variety..but I don't go to just eat..I by no way starved...actually gained 7lbs :(

WEll we all could nit pick but overall ncl offers a very consistent adequate product, the shows are hit or miss but that is to be expected, the buffet food is usually better than the main dining room, and at least in the buffet you can see what you are getting so you can pick and sample so that food is not wasted, several meals in the main dining room were not edible.

I love the wide open spaces on the ncl ships, except of course for the EPIC I despise the EPIC.

I dont like the smoking policy, I despise the smoking policy

I dont like the lattitudes program, pretty much worthless, and there is always a problem with my lattitude number, I keep getting a new one every cruise and it takes awhile to get it straigtened out, (the lattitude people are not very friendly and usually tell me that I should have booked with ncl at a greater cost, instead of an oustide agent)

A couple of things I don't like:

1. no self-service laundry on ships

2. lack of seating on the promenade decks (some ships have a few places to sit but in my opinion not enough). I prefer the promenade deck to the pool deck when I can get a seat.

3. Lack of shaded seating on the pool decks

That's about it.

A couple of things I don't like:

1. no self-service laundry on ships

I think that is a negative. We'll be ok for a 7 day but we have started to to back to back or longer cruises due to having to fly and end up doing laundry on board.

That's one of things that I really do like also. Hate the door tags.

In theory I like them too. But it can be frustrating if you are the victim of pranksters.

Too bad the design of the dials weren't better. Such as one that would have the display on the outside but the dial manipulated on the inside. That would be great.

WEll we all could nit pick but overall ncl offers a very consistent adequate product, the shows are hit or miss but that is to be expected, the buffet food is usually better than the main dining room, and at least in the buffet you can see what you are getting so you can pick and sample so that food is not wasted, several meals in the main dining room were not edible.

I love the wide open spaces on the ncl ships, except of course for the EPIC I despise the EPIC.

I dont like the smoking policy, I despise the smoking policy

I dont like the lattitudes program, pretty much worthless, and there is always a problem with my lattitude number, I keep getting a new one every cruise and it takes awhile to get it straigtened out, (the lattitude people are not very friendly and usually tell me that I should have booked with ncl at a greater cost, instead of an oustide agent)

LOL commis, despise is a pretty strong word to use regarding a ship you've never sailed.

When you book with your outside agent do you give them your latitude number so they can use it on your reservation? If you use outside agent (as I usually do) then you need to give them the proper information. If your NCL documents aren't correct you need to go through your agent to have the necessary changes made.

I'm surpised noone has mentioned the anouncements.

This is my biggest pet peeve with NCL.

If I want to know what's going on, I will read the daily. I don't need the CD to read the whole thing to me over the PA serveral times a day.:mad:

I agree about the lattitudes. I have only sailed MSC twice, an 11 night and a 9 night and I am already at their second level (silver) which among other things, entitles me to a free dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant.

I love the dials outside the rooms, no hanging stuff on the door handle and hoping it doesn't fall off.

Also love freestyle dining.

Lois

In theory I like them too. But it can be frustrating if you are the victim of pranksters.

They wouldn't be more susceptible than a hanging door tag though right? Someone could flip that or even take it. I see them on the floor so I think they just blow off too.

Does NCL broadcast everything into the cabin or just "important" announcements.

Most announcements are not broadcast into the cabin. You can barely hear through the door. We would open the door to hear the announcement rather than tune to the correct tv station. If it was something we didn't care about, easy enough to shut the door :)

The thing I'm least fond of on NCL (although it has been a while since our last cruise on this line) is the lack of a minimum dress code. I'm not talking about formal nights or that sort of thing, but just more of a basic standard. We traveled with Oceania (which also does not have specific dinner seating times or tables and has a variety of restaurants to choose from) and most people adhered to a basic level of dress which I appreciated, but found lacking on my previous NCL cruise.

I found it slightly disconcerting to be sitting at a beautifully laid table with crystal and china when all those around us were wearing shorts and t-shirts.

But, overall, I find that NCL's product suits us for the moment, so I'll just have to get over the disconnect. :-)

:-) amcb

The lack of self-service laundry.

I do like the "status wheel" outside the door but it seems that even the stewards don't pay attention to it. I have had mine set many times to "Make up my stateroom." and have gone to breakfast and out for a couple hours and when I return the steward is making up another stateroom that has the sign on green and mine hasn't been touched.

Take care,

Mike

They wouldn't be more susceptible than a hanging door tag though right? Someone could flip that or even take it. I see them on the floor so I think they just blow off too.

I think they are more susceptible. On the Epic, we were enjoying our first day at sea and slept in. I was dressed and ready to go but my husband was in the shower. I had the wheel set on "Do Not Disturb." Here comes our cabin steward. He was very embarrassed apologetic but took the opportunity to demonstrate to me how the wheel worked. Thought it was funny. I then proceeded to tell him that I had put the wheel on "Do Not Disturb" the night before. It was reading "Make Up Cabin." The steward said this happens constantly with kids pulling pranks. I have also had our door tags taken numerous times.

Does NCL broadcast everything into the cabin or just "important" announcements.

That would be my pet peeve...in order to hear the announcements you have to open your cabin door.

The worst thing about NCL is...that I can't cruise more than once or twice a year...would love to cruise more but will need to win the lottery first!:D

We have always been happy with NCL so will stick to sailing with NCL...love Freestyle Cruising!

Archived