Insect repellent, and suncreen?

martini cruiser

I understand that there can be problems insects, which insect repellent do you like best? Would prefer something more natural than deet products but if they work best I'll go with the deet, because the insect love me and leave little tokens of affection in the form of red welts.

Also interested if anyone has a recommendation for sunscreens ( waterproof). I normally only use a 6 on my body and 15 on the face, but I've heard that may not be enough in FP.

Thanks again,

Martini Cruiser

I have a friend who was really afraid of DEET and uses only natural products. She used to work in an apothecary. Three months after their honeymoon in Tahiti, Morrea and Bora Bora, we we all went to Hawaii and she was the first to look for DEET products. She was so miserable in French Polynesia. She said it wasn't worth not using. My thought is that mosquitos carry lots of disease so I guess I will take my chance with DEET leeching into me, keep the mosquitos away and have a good trip. I'm packing DEET along with the ones that plug into the wall for when we are staying in a B&B in Moorea.

You will need very little bug spray as there never has been any need on board the ship. You may need it on some of the hikes and safaris only. Make sure you spray well as some of the islands ( Tahiti among them) have dengue fever.

We found we needed bug spray whenever we were in the forest, trails or archeological areas. The mosquitos were quite bad there. However, probably the place I was bitten most was at the Radisson Hotel in Papeete. So be prepared because I wasn't and had packed my insect repellant. I treated them with Caladryl after I got home and they have cleared up quite quickly. I had a spray without Deet but I think it worked quite well as long as I applied it to my uncovered areas. Mine was called Herbal Armor. website is www.allterrainco.com

Do take a high SPF suncream with you. 2 minutes in that sun and you burn but we were there at the hottest time, just a week ago. I wish I was still there!

Semolina,

I am in shock about the Radisson - we have never been bitten in Papeete. Hope this is not the case for July when its their cooler/drier weather.

I will keep my spray out.

I wonder if this will be the case at the Intercontinental as well.

insect repellant only needed once when taking the 4x4 tour of Bora Bora

high spf sunscreen is mandatory -- witnessed many unhappy folks with 'base tans' or wanting to 'get a little color' discover how strong the rays are in FP -- even the locals douse themselves in high spf - please be careful

Given the strong sun rays in FP, I was very surprised to learn that there are no beach umbrellas for shade at either Motu Mahana or the PG beach on Bora Bora. Somehow I expected to have that in a luxury set-up.

Oh well, I just hope there is lotsa natural shade at both places.

Very little shade at Bora Bora motu - maybe just a couple of trees. There is no infrastructure here - no chairs and no washrooms - to me that is the charm. That is why the high SPF and the special shirts are essential.

Lots of trees at Motu Mahana.

Archived