Name That Ship

kiwi sailor

Thats so sad. I thinking cruise ships should be sunken or something I hate seeing them ripped apart like that.

Hi Drelix,

It is sad yes, but it is the natural end for a ship that has lived a long an useful life. The existance that Oriana endured in her last years was a travesty. She was gutted and turned into something she never was, very little of the ship we knew and loved remained.

As for sinking, well that would be un-natural - ships are built to float not sink, no scrapping is not nice but it is the natural end.

Lets also remember that the original Oriana was a 3 class ship..

and never did those classes mix.

What was it?...

First Class

2nd Class

and Tourist Class.

How would that work in todays PC Socieity?

Actually she was two-class, First and Tourist. That changed in the mid Seventies when she was permanantly changed to one-class for cruising.

As for today, I believe that we still have Fiorst and Tourist classes, allbeit on different ships - Seabourn and SilverSea are equivelent to the old First Class, Princess, HAL, Celebrity are the old Second Class and P&O, RCL, NCL, Carnival are the old Tourist, just now each class is on a different ship!

Interestingly, airlines have never changed and remain three class!

As for today, I believe that we still have Fiorst and Tourist classes, allbeit on different ships - Seabourn and SilverSea are equivelent to the old First Class, Princess, HAL, Celebrity are the old Second Class and P&O, RCL, NCL, Carnival are the old Tourist, just now each class is on a different ship!

There's also Cunard, which does still have different classes on the one ship...

Archived