Glacier Bay?

mj

We just booked our first HAL cruise and it is for Alaska 2012 on the Zuiderdam sailing out of Vancouver. The schedule does not say how long we sail in Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm. Does anyone have a general idea. I know Princess sails into Glacier Bay from 6am - 3pm. I know Tracy Arm is the day of Juneau and want get much time in there since we arrive in Juneau at 1pm. Thanks.

Our Cruise Log from the Statendam a few years back says we embarked the G.B. park rangers at 8:53a and disembarked them at 7:26p.

Our Daily Program for the day said we were scheduled to enter G.B. at 9:30a and exit at 7:30p.

However, we went to Skagway the day after G.B., so we just had a short overnight run. You may depart earlier since you will be going down to Ketchikan overnight.

The main event when visiting Glacier Bay is Marjorie Glacier. I think HAL ships generally spend maybe 60-90 minutes there.

It does take a few hours to get to and from the glacier, with other sights and commentary along the way.

I have not been to Tracy Arm, so I don't know how much time is spent there.

when we went in 2007 and 2009, we spent the morning in Tracy Arm (from about 6 am til about noon), and all day in Glacier Bay, but that includes time to enter bay and sail up to the glaciers, then sail back out. probably about 4-5 hours actually cruising GB.

ML

You will embark the Rangers about 6:45 AM and then sail into the Bay. You will be at the Marjorie Glacier about 11:15 PM and will be there until 12:15 PM and then slowly sail through the bay again. You will drop off the rangers about 4:00 PM and then sail out toward Icy Strait. Around 4:15-4:30 you will probably see some hump back Whales.

Have a great cruise and a great day in Glacier Bay.

Archived