Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

That got me to thinking - Can I possibly go on The Next Cruise without buying ONE THING:eek::rolleyes:. Look at clothes, accessories that always miss the cut and discover new outfits!

Well, that's going to be my challenge. Can this Caribbean Cruising Fashionista live up to the goal??:confused:

Please, say it isn't so!:eek: You certainly will need something - a pair of shoes, a necklace, a scarf.... (OK, I'm an enabler!:o)

That got me to thinking - Can I possibly go on The Next Cruise without buying ONE THING:eek::rolleyes:. Look at clothes, accessories that always miss the cut and discover new outfits!

I could never do this so kudos to you if you can. Part of my vacation fun is buying new clothes! :)

Indiana, I wish you well on this endeavor, but there is no way I could do it. I am still buying clothes for our cruisetour in 3 weeks!!! :eek: In my defense, I am still losing weight and a bunch of my clothes are just too baggy and look kind of sloppy now. As a cruise fashionista, that simply will not do. :D

Lisa

I too love my cruise fashions- and like you, it has nothing to do with pleasing others. Getting dressed is part of the fun of vacationing for me.

Planning and prep is also part of the fun...

Prior to leaving I start a packing excel spreadsheet (the whole planning thing adds to the excitement- just like writing in the forums does :D

I make sure I have a day outfit, a swim outfit, and a night/dinner outfit.

I am a beach/pool bum, so everyday consists of a different bathing suit with matching cover-up and sunglasses (I can repeat sunglasses, but never repeat a cover up or swimsuit-since I wear them for so many hours they are like outfits to me). I also have a sundress or another easy outfit for day wear so I can participate in non-pool/beach activities, tour ports, or eat at the buffet. I have a nightwear outfit for every night as well. I put the entire days outfit in a ziplock bag to keep it together and organized. I put any details including day number inside the ziplock bag.

As outliers I have 2 formal dresses and 3 nightlife outfits. If necessary, some dinner outfits can transition into nightlife outfits with different jewelry and makeup.

If some accessories are transitional I write that in the ziplock bag. For instance, my black sun hat can go with several bathing suits so I will write which hat & sandals I need to go with the outfit. For my sunhats I put them on top of my suitcase, upside down, and stuff them with sunglasses (the sunglasses are in their cases). This helps not only keep everything together, but also preserves the shape of my sun hats.

My husband thinks I'm crazy but I don't care- its all part of the fun for me! He packs the night before and usually forgets something. He has now conceded to at least letting me review his bag with an excel spreadsheet that I created for him.

My mom, my sisters and I were coming up with outfits for the cruise last night, and we all discovered we have sequin dresses....so we'll be wearing them together on one of the formal nights lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375897370.038923.jpg.8d040892e524326a4b4a94bfbd80615b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HELLO AGAIN CCF' LADIES. I need your help!! PLEASE!! We are going on our first NCL cruise on the Epic. I have just found out that they have done away

with the WHITE PARTY for a NEON PARTY. Any suggestions on what a lady in

her 40's could wear? It isn't formal but I like to look nice. Any help would be great.

I too love my cruise fashions- and like you, it has nothing to do with pleasing others. Getting dressed is part of the fun of vacationing for me.

Planning and prep is also part of the fun...

Prior to leaving I start a packing excel spreadsheet (the whole planning thing adds to the excitement- just like writing in the forums does :D

I am a beach/pool bum, so everyday consists of a different bathing suit with matching cover-up and sunglasses (I can repeat sunglasses, but never repeat a cover up or swimsuit-since I wear them for so many hours they are like outfits to me). I also have a sundress or another easy outfit for day wear so I can participate in non-pool/beach activities, tour ports, or eat at the buffet. I have a nightwear outfit for every night as well. I put the entire days outfit in a ziplock bag to keep it together and organized. I put any details including day number inside the ziplock bag.

As outliers I have 2 formal dresses and 3 nightlife outfits. If necessary, some dinner outfits can transition into nightlife outfits with different jewelry and makeup.

If some accessories are transitional I write that in the ziplock bag. For instance, my black sun hat can go with several bathing suits so I will write which hat & sandals I need to go with the outfit. For my sunhats I put them on top of my suitcase, upside down, and stuff them with sunglasses (the sunglasses are in their cases). This helps not only keep everything together, but also preserves the shape of my sun hats.

My husband thinks I'm crazy but I don't care- its all part of the fun for me! He packs the night before and usually forgets something. He has now conceded to at least letting me review his bag with an excel spreadsheet that I created for him.

I think we might be twins lol.

I am just as intense with my planning and packing. My mom thinks I'm nuts for packing 8 swimsuits for my upcoming cruise, but like you said, they're like an outfit! And I have to plan/pack at least 16 outfits :eek:

Last night I sat down with my little sister and we wrote down her outfits for each day, took pics of them, and also made a list of things she needs to pick up to complete her outfits. It may seem a little meticulous or tedious, but it's so worth it in the end...eliminates so much stress and the "What should I wear today?" question!

HELLO AGAIN CCF' LADIES. I need your help!! PLEASE!! We are going on our first NCL cruise on the Epic. I have just found out that they have done away

with the WHITE PARTY for a NEON PARTY. Any suggestions on what a lady in

her 40's could wear? It isn't formal but I like to look nice. Any help would be great.

Oooh sounds like fun! Maybe a neon peplum top...or neon pants? Neon is still in so you should be able to find something!

My day outfit IS my swim outfit lol. We love spending time at the pool and lounging around in the sun so I'm forever in my bathing suit until we go to dinner. I'll just throw a cute sundress over it if we go to lunch or do any non[-pool activities.

I am just as intense with my planning and packing. My mom thinks I'm nuts for packing 8 swimsuits for my upcoming cruise, but like you said, they're like an outfit! And I have to plan/pack at least 16 outfits :eek:

Last night I sat down with my little sister and we wrote down her outfits for each day, took pics of them, and also made a list of things she needs to pick up to complete her outfits. It may seem a little meticulous or tedious, but it's so worth it in the end...eliminates so much stress and the "What should I wear today?" question!

LexiPoo you are so cute. I would be that way too if I hadn't gained so much weight. Since I started having a thyroid issue I hate being seen in a bathing suit.

My mom, my sisters and I were coming up with outfits for the cruise last night, and we all discovered we have sequin dresses....so we'll be wearing them together on one of the formal nights lol

[ATTACH]281729[/ATTACH]

That will be such fun for all of you to wear your sequin dresses. They look great on all of you.

I'm not sure if my resolve will crumble...like many CCFs, part of the fun is shopping/buying:). The Next Cruise is 10 nights - even more of a challenge...

I will confess to all of you if something calls my name, and I give in:rolleyes:.

Neotericisis: First - there must be a story to your screen name!

Welcome to the sisterhood of CCFs! We are of the exact mind set when it comes to planning Cruise Outfits.

The fact that you never repeat a swimsuit is reason enough to make you Queen of This Week's CCF:cool:.

AND to seal the deal - your DH reacts like mine (and many others, I'm sure!) - first calling you "crazy"...and then conceding(even a little bit) that you might be good at this planning thing;).

LEXIpoo: Cudos to you and your sisters and mom. You will be the highlight of Formal Night!

footballbabe3: Oh my! A WHITE PARTY is easy to dress for...but a NEON PARTY??? Why not wear whatever white outfit you have, and accessorize with neon? I bet there are end-of-season sales on neon shoes, jewelry...

Here's an interesting tidbit from All You magazine. The Source is Applied Research in Quality of Life (never heard of it, but agree with most of the quote). "...The biggest boost in joy comes from the simple act of planning a trip - even more than taking it."

Planning AND taking both make me happy:):cool:.

Indiana, I wish you well on this endeavor, but there is no way I could do it. I am still buying clothes for our cruisetour in 3 weeks!!! :eek: In my defense, I am still losing weight and a bunch of my clothes are just too baggy and look kind of sloppy now. As a cruise fashionista, that simply will not do. :D

Lisa

Congrats on your weight loss! I've lost a bit recently and working to loose more before our cruise. I really want to get down to a size 12 as I have some nice jeans and slacks in that size barely worn in my closet. Even though I'll probably just buy new anyway! :rolleyes:

Someone up there asked for Neon party suggestions. I'm trying to imagine what they're thinking with that one. Maybe trying to draw in the younger crowd? The only neon parties I've ever seen were where people where dark colors to dance in the dark sporting glowing 'neon' jewelry. I can only come up with two ideas and I don't know that this has anything to do with what they have in mind. Maybe wear all one shade in a bright jewel tone? Either that or wear black and buy some flashing rave jewelry. :D

My ban on shopping doesn't begin until September 1:eek:...that was my disclaimer...so the purchases made today don't count!

Less that $90: TJ Maxx - Ralph Lauren PJs (a fun print in Caribbean colors), a Liz Claiborne knit top and a jersey knit dark blue print dress

Goodwill - an Ann Taylor sleeveless white knit top, a Gap black & white stripe top:cool: and 2 long sleeve pullover sweaters:).

Except for the sweaters, they are in the Cruise Room. The Packing Process won't begin until after Halloween...

It isn't easy with more than 100 days till SailAway...but then there are 3 cruises within 4 months!

I've used Lancôme concealer for several years and liked it. Recently an article on lower-priced cosmetics suggested discount store brands. L'Oreal true match crayon concealer is wonderful! I love the stick that goes on directly where it's needed.

My Smashbox eye liner has been replaced with Rimmel Scandleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal and L'Oreal Colour Riche lipstick is the best I've had in years!.

My Lancôme eye shadow is fairly new. I'll try L'Oreal next.

It's fun to find bargains at TJ Maxx and Goodwill, and also fun to find lower priced high-quality make-up.

More $$ for cruising:cool:!

Or maybe triplets!! If I go on a seven day cruise, I have to have at least 16 outfits minimum and lets not even get started on accessories and shoes!:p:D:o

Lexipoo: It takes more of an effort to try on a complete outfit and take a self-photo OR have someone (i.e. DH) take it...BUT so-o-o much easier to lay it all out and simply click the photo:). Along (or in place of) the Spreadsheet, the photos "are worth a thousand words". Thanks for the idea!

That might be the best way for keeping the "I Won't Buy Anything New for the Next Cruise" declaration.

If I start in September...that gives me LOTS of time to mix and match, choosing from the many items already in the Cruise Room:cool:.

Lexipoo: It takes more of an effort to try on a complete outfit and take a self-photo OR have someone (i.e. DH) take it...BUT so-o-o much easier to lay it all out and simply click the photo:). Along (or in place of) the Spreadsheet, the photos "are worth a thousand words". Thanks for the idea!

That might be the best way for keeping the "I Won't Buy Anything New for the Next Cruise" declaration.

If I start in September...that gives me LOTS of time to mix and match, choosing from the many items already in the Cruise Room:cool:.

Lol, no problem! I'm like a packing fanatic so I love coming up with new ways to make packing and unpacking as easy as possible. Hope it works out for you :)

This has been a cool summer...no, not :cool: cool...but:( cool weather cool. I brought a late summer outfit to wear to an event this evening...but oh no, temps in the low 60s dictate long pants, long sleeves.

Daydreaming about booking a cruise for tomorrow, but of course, only daydreaming!

Here's what I'm thinking of doing starting early September: Determine how many outfits are needed for the Next Cruise. Divide that number by the number of weeks until Serious Packing begins (probably 11) and then start choosing a couple each week (without buying new stuff:eek:).

In fact, I'm going to print the spreadsheet template today to get started:).

This has been a cool summer...no, not :cool: cool...but:( cool weather cool. I brought a late summer outfit to wear to an event this evening...but oh no, temps in the low 60s dictate long pants, long sleeves.

Daydreaming about booking a cruise for tomorrow, but of course, only daydreaming!

Here's what I'm thinking of doing starting early September: Determine how many outfits are needed for the Next Cruise. Divide that number by the number of weeks until Serious Packing begins (probably 11) and then start choosing a couple each week (without buying new stuff:eek:).

In fact, I'm going to print the spreadsheet template today to get started:).

Haha...I'll take bets on you're not buying something for the next cruise! :D Haven't found my red dress yet, have you?:(

First:

LEXIpoo: Are you a model? If not, you should be! Clothes fit you so easily and you have a great fashion sense. Love that you are sharing photos:)!

fyree39: I agree with boopsahoy that the dress works much better without the red belt (but I do love the red belt...maybe with another outfit...) Thank you, too, for sharing photos.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a visual person and photos are the best way to describe anything.

Putting outfits together (even if it's just to do my weekly shopping/Starbucks run) is fun. Don't know if I would have been successful as a stylist, but starting with a basic outfit and adding all the accessories never gets old!

Snuggles: Nice to see you here at CCF! Haven't found a red dress yet. There's a store that's about an hour away that features outlet prices on dresses. A friend who sings with a band gets most of hers there. I'm planning to go in a couple weeks.

CCFs who live near lots of shopping venues - we small town girls are envious;)!

I bought an infinity dress and hope to get some good use out of that! I'm pregnant and the dress is short, so I might have to use it more like a tunic... we'll see how it fits though once it arrives and so far my belly doesn't look very pregnant (that could change in the next three weeks though!) :)

I'm thinking I could dress it down for casual brunches or dress it up for a formal night. And maybe wear it with an overlay skirt to change it up more. Any tips on accessorizing a purple dress (plum color)? I'm thinking gold or ivory, but I love purple and red combos!

Inspiration pic attached! (The dress I bought is a deeper hue of purple.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376600583.057364.jpg.ce64aac97957dadfe069ffbb15b188c5.jpg