Planning for a cruise is ALMOST as fun as the cruise itself....

Hootsie

Don't you agree? I mean, waking up and realizing the countdown number, checking out shore excursions, looking at the map of the ship, googling photos of the ship (and looking at various Flickr accounts that pop up), surfing Cruise Critic, etc....

The whole thing just puts a smile on my face!!

I love planning for cruises or for any vacation I am going on. That is just as fun as the cruise itself. I could have been a travel agent in a former life, I love doing it that much. As I'm sailing in 9 days, I'm now researching a vacation in Hawaii.

I've been kept happy and busy for over a year researching for our Asian cruise and two weeks following it on our own in China. I think DH has realized it's good for me to have a goal and something useful to do with my Internet addiction. I'm nearly ready which is good because we leave in less than three weeks (but who's counting?)

Next fall we go to Italy again and so there's work to be done!

I tend to do all the planning. We sail in less than 4 days and my mom just asked me the the name of the ship last week! We've been booked for over a year! :eek:

-Stephanie

I had to laugh at your comment. I am just shocked when I find people that have been on a couple of cruises and they can't begin to tell you which cruise line it was with, let alone the ship. :rolleyes: So I guess just about any old boat will do. :D

So is your cruise a mother-daughter trip?

I took my mom on the Hawaii cruise. It was her first time to Hawaii. She loved EVERY minute of it. I brought my camera and took 95% of the pictures for that trip. She was most unhappy that I did not give her any pictures. That was until I gave them to her in a scrapbook for her Christmas present. She loves that scrapbook, I wonder if it is going to hold up to its constant use. :p

I tend to do all the planning. We sail in less than 4 days and my mom just asked me the the name of the ship last week! We've been booked for over a year!

That's pretty similar to my experiences with my wife ... once the term "cruise" comes up in conversation, I head straight for the computer. By the day's end, I've got several viable options ... her reaction: "Whichever you think is best." That's my clue to to proceed with the details. Within a day after that, we're booked, and the real fun begins ... air, accommodations, etc. By the end of Day 2, it's done!

I must admit, though, that we're more excited about just getting away again, as opposed to planning every moment of our vacation. Thankfully, we're able to go pretty much anywhere at any time, and have taken seven cruises in the past three years, with two more booked. Since we've been to many ports several times, shore trips don't appeal to us much ... save for the White Pass/Yukon train excursion in Skagway, AK (for about the umpteenth time ... we absolutely love it), we won't be booking any.

But it's still a rush ... finding just the right cruise at the right time for the right price. And when all arrangements are completed, I bring the information to my wife. Her response: "Sounds great." From that point on, I don't know how many times she asks, "When are we going?" "What ship will we be on?" "Where are we stopping?" No matter ... it's my job to find it, and she takes care of the nuts and bolts ... the dogs, mail, newspaper, police notification, etc. Sort of like The A Team ... ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Don't you agree? I mean, waking up and realizing the countdown number, checking out shore excursions, looking at the map of the ship, googling photos of the ship (and looking at various Flickr accounts that pop up), surfing Cruise Critic, etc....

The whole thing just puts a smile on my face!!

I've been on a high for the past month! If I'm not on this site, I'm upstairs trying on (and rejecting) clothes. Parcels are arriving every other day with things I think I must have. The house is a tip. I do enjoy it, but I will be glad to get my life back!:D

I love the planning! And that way, even though I may only cruise once a year or so, it is like the experience lasts way longer than the short time I get to be on board. Don't know if I would need to get so into the planning if I were able to take several cruises a year, every year.

I can't stand not having a cruise to look forward to. Wish the transatlantic & Europe cruises for 2012 ( on the cruise lines I'm considering) would get posted already.

For me too the planning is half the fun! I am constantly pouring over these boards looking for something 'new' that I didn't know before. We are newbies to cruising and the things I learned on CC prior to our first cruise were invaluable. I have always been a planner for our land vacations. We pick a destination and then I go into planning mode. Hubby just says whatever to most of my suggestions.

The only downfall is when it's done the first week I am home, I have nothing to do in the evenings!!

I love planning for cruises or for any vacation I am going on. That is just as fun as the cruise itself. I could have been a travel agent in a former life, I love doing it that much. As I'm sailing in 9 days, I'm now researching a vacation in Hawaii.

Well, it looks like you are on your ship today and the planning is all done. I hope you have a blast and that you planning pays off. Enjoy!

I'm absolutely addicted to the planning. We go on family cruises. My daughters are all grown up, but we love the cruises and love the planning. They have been on every single cruise that I've been on...we have 2 cruises planned, both on RCL. One is April and one is in July. Keep that in mind when I tell you that we were talking about how excited we are about the April cruise and my daughter asked me, "which ship are we on???" :eek:!!! How does that happen??? I'm on here every day looking for the latest tip, in spite of 9 previous cruises. I'm on here looking for the latest review of the ships we will be sailing on. I'm on here looking at the ports. I cannot understand how you can be excited, but not addicted to the planning :confused:

I love the planning as well and research every little detail. My gf who introduced me to cruising doesn't research a thing. I don't know how she does it. Planning is definatly a big part of the fun. A co-worker of mine is booked on the same cruise and she didn't know what cabin she had, or what dining she had. She is another one who doesn't research. Whenever I'm talking to her I tell her all kinds of tips and things she didn't know. I like being able to share what I find out.

Archived