? Summit after retrofit and 8046 vs 6143 in Jan 2012 ?

travlindoc

Just came off my first Celebrity cruise aboard the Solstice and had a fantastic time, albeit with noro running amok (lucky we weren't affected... err, infected), and just made a deposit on the Summit for next winter (looking to do Southern Caribbean next). Couple of questions for anyone who can provide or surmise an answer. Thanks in advance!

1) Not knowing exactly when the retrofit is supposed to take place (word is over 2-3 weeks in Jan), would you risk the possibility of dealing with post-dry dock issues for a cruise at the end of Jan (HAL board was ripe with stories of stateroom and public room problems on Rotterdam - sailed her last summer to Alaska - in the first few weeks after the refurb), or wait until Feb if timing is not an issue? Anyone notice any major problems on Connie just after her refurb?

2) Did my due diligence re: all the best staterooms per reports/pics here, and put a deposit down today on 8046 (larger, triangular balcony) after reading all the reviews. Interested in concierge class, but not aft (I know). My dilemma is that 6143 is currently available for around the same price. Couple of concerns/questions:

(a) My traveling companion is very sensitive to smoke. Don't think smoking area on port 10 aft of us will be a problem, but does anyone have any experience on 6 with aft-wafting tobacco fumes from port 4? Would not want to risk it if any possibility of increasing exposure to smoke on the balcony (wouldn't get one there if greater chance; know there will always be potential for exposure, just trying to minimize), or is the offending area far enough away not to be a problem?

(b) Also, can anyone reassure me some that, if I go with 6143, the crew door/balcony/"closet" next door wasn't/won't be an issue with excessive rummaging or door-closing noise during the trip? Did it stay a "closet" or other on Connie after the refurb?

Looking forward to hitting the high seas on Celeb again. Hope everyone who is about to sail on one of her beauties has a safe, healthy, and enjoyable journey :o

HI. We were in 6144 last March on the Summit (same cabin as 6143 just on the other side) - we really enjoyed this cabin with the large balcony and CC perks. We never heard anyone in the crew cabin next door or had problems with smoke from the public smoking areas. I think I remember (but don't hold me to it) that someone in the penthouse or royal suite next door was smoking a cigar one afternoon but I called desk relations and that stopped.

The Summit is a great ship and we really enjoyed the southern Carib. ports.

Enjoy!

Just returned today from Summit in 6143. First let me say we had a fabulous time. I do have to agree with some of the posters in that the ship and our cabin is definitely in need of some updating. That being said after the first day we didn't give it much thought. The service and the food were amazing. The itinerary was awesome!

To address your concerns. I did not smell smoke and I'm ultra sensitive. However, when we first got to the room there was a cigarette butt on our balcony deck. Our room attendant apologized and said it came from above. Never saw another one. Nothing like making the mistake of walking port side at the pool.

I did hear people going in and out of the "closet" space next to our cabin a lot. More so than I thought they would but I didn't find it super bothersome but I did notice it so not sure what that means.:rolleyes:

We enjoyed the extra space of our cabin as compared to our friends in 7177 and 8161. But are now reflecting on whether it was worth the extra money for the CC. Still yet undecided.

Hope you find this helpful, let me know if you have any other questions.

6143 is my favorite cabin as you can see from my screen name. Have had it on both the Connie and the Millie. Never had a problem with smoke. Also was never bothered with noise from the passageway next door. In fact, you can open the divider at the end of the balcony and have more room at the railing. And if you get friendly with the people in the sky suite next door, that divider can be opened as well, as can the divider between the sky suite and the penthouse.

I love the extra room in the cabin and the large balcony!

Tks, HC 6143. Was going to see about switching to that cabin, but Summit has been taken off site for "inventory maintenance," according to the Celebrity rep I spoke to this weekend.

Guess they're trying to figure out how/what to list post-dry dock, when I hear they'll have a few AQ cabins as well (? whether new additions or existing rooms changed to AQ).

Also a poss, according to the rep, that they may pull the week I've chosen off the calendar altogether, if it looks as though it may still be in dry dock in late Jan. They said to give it a week or so and I would hear back from them either way. Never a dull moment... :confused:

Tks, HC 6143. Was going to see about switching to that cabin, but Summit has been taken off site for "inventory maintenance," according to the Celebrity rep I spoke to this weekend.

Guess they're trying to figure out how/what to list post-dry dock, when I hear they'll have a few AQ cabins as well (? whether new additions or existing rooms changed to AQ).

Also a poss, according to the rep, that they may pull the week I've chosen off the calendar altogether, if it looks as though it may still be in dry dock in late Jan. They said to give it a week or so and I would hear back from them either way. Never a dull moment... :confused:

It looks like you will be on her first sailing after she is Solsticizied. I am

thinking of going on her the week after you.:)

.........To address your concerns. I did not smell smoke and I'm ultra sensitive. However, when we first got to the room there was a cigarette butt on our balcony deck. Our room attendant apologized and said it came from above. Never saw another one. Nothing like making the mistake of walking port side at the pool.

I did hear people going in and out of the "closet" space next to our cabin a lot. More so than I thought they would but I didn't find it super bothersome but I did notice it so not sure what that means.:rolleyes:

The other thing that bothered us about 6143 was having a side door from the balcony of the "closet" hallway space that opened directly into the balcony of 6143. So anyone who enters that hallway has access to the balcony of 6143 through the side door and can then enter your cabin from the balcony if you should forget to lock your balcony door.

I remember someone saying that he got into the cabin that way himself when he forgot his room key.

Archived