What do you do with your Kindle?

mom for life

I am cruising in April and recently bought a Kindle to use for my fave books but I am wondering, what do you do with your Kindle if you go for a walk....I would usually just leave my book on my chair while I go for a walk or a dip in the pool. I really don't feel comfortable leaving my Kindle there on the chair....anyone have this experience and what do you do?

Hmm... got one for Xmas too. Hadn't thought of that aspect. I know they make beach bags / small totes that have a lock on them so you can lock them to the chair. That would be the only option I would think of.

If you're only going to be out of your chair to take a dip, stick it in your tote bag (surely you bring something to put your sunscreen, room key, sunglasses, etc...in ???)

If you're NOT coming right back to your chair....(taking a walk seems to be leaving the pool).....then take your stuff, and don't hog the chair!!! If you're coming right back, it will be just fine....the folks sitting next to you will know if it's you or someone else in "your" spot!

As suggested, if you are going to the track to walk, you should give up the chair and allow those who want to lounge use of it IMO

If you are only going to the rest room or to the buffet to bring back a bit of lunch, you could bring it or put it in a beach bag as suggested.

A Kindle is registered to a person who has an account with Amazon.com. and that account has a username and password only known to the owner. So unless the owner has been so dumb as to write all of this information on the back of their Kindle...a Kindle has no value to a thief. This not to say that a person shouldn't take ordinary care of their Kindle there is also no reason to lose a lot of sleep over it.

When i read the title of this post - What do you do with your Kindle? - I thought you were going to be asking if people use it to get ont he internet or for other useful tasks! LOL!

Last year I used my K2 to check Facebook - it worked about half the time which was better than nothing. I figure I can give it a try this year - I have a K3 and the 3G should be a bit better at connecting, or at least thats been my experience with it. Seems like I read on these boards that the wifi connection does not work with a kindle.

I am very careful with mine and take it with me in a beach bag - I wouldnt leave it out of sight for fear of it getting stolen or tossed off the chair and broken!

Just a word of advice: when you leave it on your chair, covered up, etc....don't forget and sit down on it or even on the edge of it! I accidently did that at home while at the pool. I didn't realize until later that the screen was broken. I had put it in a plastic ziploc bag and put it under a towel while I was in the pool, and FORGOT!

Now I leave my Kindle in its cover, and then put it in the plastic bag while near water. At least it is more durable and sturdy that way.

I felt safe leaving my Kindle in my room on the ship when not using it, I put it in a locked bag, not room in the safe I had with other things in there too.

If I had been out by the pool and decided to go walking around I would take it with me in my beach bag. If I was near my chair in the pool or hot-tub I would leave it within my vision in my bag....never will I leave it in a chair again. Someone else could come along and plop down on YOUR chair, you never know!

I think on this cruise coming up...I will see lots of e-Readers! Love my Kindle!

Hi folks, I was just wondering about guidebooks on the kindle. I love my DK guides and wonder if I could put them on the Kindle so I would have those great cutaway plans and information. I am also wondering if I Phone apps for guiding you around on shore.

I would love to hear how you use these new tools to make your cruising life that much better.

A Kindle is registered to a person who has an account with Amazon.com. and that account has a username and password only known to the owner. So unless the owner has been so dumb as to write all of this information on the back of their Kindle...a Kindle has no value to a thief. This not to say that a person shouldn't take ordinary care of their Kindle there is also no reason to lose a lot of sleep over it.
Password protection on a Kindle (to keep someone else from reading) is optional and not active by default. If you don't have that password on, there's nothing to keep someone from taking your Kindle and buying a bunch of stuff that can only be read on that Kindle account. The other thing they could do would be to register it to another Amazon account and then they have the device and you have the books remaining in your e-book account with Amazon. To say it has no value really isn't correct - a stolen Kindle can be registered to a different account and then it's a perfectly good Kindle.

I lost two Kindles from a bag in Paris a year ago. The first thing I did was de-register the Kindles (easy to do if you have internet access). If someone does buy stuff before you de-register it you can undo the purchase up to a week later.

Since then I've heard that it might be easier for Amazon to trace the stolen Kindle if it's left registered. I don't know if this is true or not.

Hmm... got one for Xmas too. Hadn't thought of that aspect. I know they make beach bags / small totes that have a lock on them so you can lock them to the chair. That would be the only option I would think of.
I've usually left my Kindle on my chair only if my husband or one of our kids was there with our stuff. I have occasionally taken a quick cool-off dip with my Kindle left in my bag . . . But only if I had a front- row chair and an uninterrupted view of the chair from the pool.

Also, when I get up, I always put the Kindle into my small beach bag -- I don't want to be mad at a family member for sitting on my towel and hearing a big crack!

Now that I'm thinking about those beach- safe bags, I would like to have one. With the Kindle firmly attached to the chair, I could enjoy that cool-off dip a little longer, or could go to the bathroom without taking it along. This might become more important to me because next cruise the kids won't be coming along -- thus, fewer Kindle babysitters.

As for the beach, I usually bring a paperback.

While I know you're right, all thieves might not. Someone might take your Kindle THINKING it would be usable.

I treat my Kindle like I treat my camera -- a valuable piece of electronic gear that doesn't leave my sight. I don't worry about it in the stateroom, but I wouldn't leave it exposed on a chair, or when I'm off to the buffet, or on a walk.

Yes, it's registered at Amazon. But unless you have immediate internet access to block it, someone could abuse your account. And besides..I bring the Kindle for my entertainment, and I'd be lost without it! :p

I have left my Sony on the table in the buffet "saving my table" while I went back through the different serving lines for my next feeding frenzy. The people sitting on either side of me certainly would know if someone picked up my reader that didn't look like me!:eek: I've never had a problem doing that. As I've very recently "upgraded" to an iPAD, I most likely do the same thing on my next cruise.

Archived