Suite tips vs. all other cabins?

39august

We always tip at least the suggested amount. But I cannot understand why suite pax are expected to pay more in tips than others. Does someone have a reasonalbe explanation? We have sailed many cruises and began booking suites lately. I have had better room stewards in balcony cabins than a couple that I have had in suites. They don't do anything for you that isn't done in other cabins that I can see. Yes, the cabin is larger to clean, but then, they have fewer cabins assigned. Certainly there is no difference in service in the MDR or MTD, Windjammer, Promenade Cafe, etc.

I could be wrong (and undoubtedly someone will correct me instantly if I am), but I think that the higher recommended suite tips are only for the cabin steward, not the dining room personnel, so the lack of difference in the MDR, Windjammer, etc is irrelevant. As to the higher tabs for the cabin stewards, two things. One, stewards dealing with the suites DO have a larger (and in some cases, like the aqua suite, crown loft suites and family suites, MUCH larger) area to clean. Second, I believe that for that reason, they are assigned fewer cabins, and would therefore suffer an unfair reduction in the tips that are so big a part of their income if the recommended tips were not increased for suite passengers.

When you think of it as a percentage of your bill (the way most of us compute tips when going out) those of us who travel in suites are actually paying a smaller percentage tip, since the difference between the recommended suite/non-suite tips is not as great as the difference between the suite/non-suite price.

In any event, recommendations are just that -- recommendations. If you truly feel that you should not pay more than a regular cabin passenger, then you're free to keep your tips to that level.

In a true "suite" the cabin is larger, so you pay more to the attendant. You do NOT pay any more to anyone but the room attendant.

When you book a true suite, then it's assumed that you can afford the tips for your suite attendant, who doesn't have to care for as many cabins as a regular cabin attendant cares for!

When I've spoken to my room stewards on the past cruises, appears they don't have a smaller workload. They have had at least 10 or more suites to clean, but the big difference is that they always have a helper to assist with cleaning the room. Have walked in and seen one vacuuming, and one cleaning something, or out washing the windows, etc. So, there are 2 to tip vs one steward. Besides, the suite is usually much larger, with more to vacuum, dust, etc.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

I was just talking to one of my friends about this the other day. I've never noticed any different service from my steward when I was in a Grand Suite, Mini-suite or a regular balcony cabin. I've been in the service industry my whole life and have no problem tipping where deserved but I just don't see what I'm tipping extra for? I thought maybe they were able to provide some other services that I wasn't aware of, similar to a concierge.

I didn't know we where "expected" to pay more!! We tip the suggested amt--actually prepay our tips! Than whatever extras we need/want we ourselves expect to pay for the extra service we ask for.

Being in suites we seem to entertain guests, therefore usally need extra glasses, fruit & cheese trays, plates ect. brought to the suite. All the extras we ask for have always graciously been brought to us by our steward or butler and we never have had a problem!! We tip more because we ask for more!!

Most suites are quite larger than a regular balcony and do take more time to clean and have extra amenities to replenish.

We always tip at least the suggested amount. But I cannot understand why suite pax are expected to pay more in tips than others. Does someone have a reasonalbe explanation? We have sailed many cruises and began booking suites lately. I have had better room stewards in balcony cabins than a couple that I have had in suites. They don't do anything for you that isn't done in other cabins that I can see. Yes, the cabin is larger to clean, but then, they have fewer cabins assigned. Certainly there is no difference in service in the MDR or MTD, Windjammer, Promenade Cafe, etc.

You're only supposed to pay your suite attendant more. I think the reasoning is based on the extra amenities that, if you take advantage of them, would require more work for your cabin - room service from the MDR (more plates), more square footage to clean, canapes to take away, cleaning your coffeepot, etc.

When I've spoken to my room stewards on the past cruises, appears they don't have a smaller workload. They have had at least 10 or more suites to clean, but the big difference is that they always have a helper to assist with cleaning the room. Have walked in and seen one vacuuming, and one cleaning something, or out washing the windows, etc. So, there are 2 to tip vs one steward. Besides, the suite is usually much larger, with more to vacuum, dust, etc.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

We've seen teams in regular cabins as well, so I don't think that's it. But the square footage, yes.:)

You're only supposed to pay your suite attendant more. I think the reasoning is based on the extra amenities that, if you take advantage of them, would require more work for your cabin - room service from the MDR (more plates), more square footage to clean, canapes to take away, cleaning your coffeepot, etc.

We've seen teams in regular cabins as well, so I don't think that's it. But the square footage, yes.:)

Jean.....on our last cruise, I noticed that the room steward on the other side of the ship had a helper, but ours did not. Inquiring to her about this (after how many cruises that we have completed:rolleyes:) it turns out that a cabin steward can have a helper, if they are willing to pay for that helper out of their pay.

There is more for a cabin steward to do in a suite, than in a regular cabin, as others have mentioned. We have a list that we ask our steward to fulfill on day one, and then do have guests in, which require more glasses to be cleaned etc.

These ammenities are just not offered in regular cabins. We not only pay the additional amount, but add a very nice tip on top, most of the time.

Like some of the other cruisers on this board, we have been fortunate enough to have had the same cabin attendent on several cruises, so they pretty much know our needs, and one more than one occasion, when we have opened our door, our cabin attendant has all of our anticipated needs met.

In my book, they deserve extra. We don't mind paying for the extra real estate, and fully expect to pay our steward for taking care of us.:)

Rick

Do we really begrudge the relatively small difference in the suggested tip amount for suite attendants or is it just another way of venting about tipping in general? The suites are considerably larger, require more work to maintain and come with significant perks both in and out of your stateroom. We might as well argue about having to tip the same amount when we stay in a small interior stateroom as when we stay in a balcony stateroom.:rolleyes:

I don't "begrudge" tips to any service staff. Thanks to those who responded with some good thoughts as to why tips are more for suites. We have only once eaten in our suite, but I can see the potential for lots more service and clean up if one wishes to utilize some suite perks that we usually do not use. The one time we did eat lunch en suite, the food was not delivered by our steward but by room service. Also, we prepay tips as we are doing MTD, so we just see the entire daily amount suggested per day, in total, not broken down by who gets what. So apparently the difference goes entirely to the suite steward.

We don't begrudge tipping either and we always stay in a suite, because we like the added perks and comfort, along with the DVD/surround sound. Indeed the steward deserves the additional $31.50 for a 7 day cruise, if he or she is doing a great job. I've only had one steward on the FOS that thought she could tell us what to expect from her, and she proceeded to give us her schedule, needless to say she got tipped nothing extra as we normally tip well above for a job well done. We also told the hotel director and the concierge about her.

Give what you can, and don't take advantage or forgranted for what they provide you.

We don't begrudge tipping either and we always stay in a suite, because we like the added perks and comfort, along with the DVD/surround sound. Indeed the steward deserves the additional $31.50 for a 7 day cruise, if he or she is doing a great job. I've only had one steward on the FOS that thought she could tell us what to expect from her, and she proceeded to give us her schedule, needless to say she got tipped nothing extra as we normally tip well above for a job well done. We also told the hotel director and the concierge about her.

Give what you can, and don't take advantage or forgranted for what they provide you.

Had a similar experience on the Splendour several years ago. Had a nice sit down chat with the Hotel Director and Head of Housekeeping, and firmly requested a replacement, which we received immediately. Could have been due to the fact that we were in the Royal Suite. Since the service was corrected so quickly, we tipped above the usual amounts.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Jean.....on our last cruise, I noticed that the room steward on the other side of the ship had a helper, but ours did not. Inquiring to her about this (after how many cruises that we have completed:rolleyes:) it turns out that a cabin steward can have a helper, if they are willing to pay for that helper out of their pay.

There is more for a cabin steward to do in a suite, than in a regular cabin, as others have mentioned. We have a list that we ask our steward to fulfill on day one, and then do have guests in, which require more glasses to be cleaned etc.

These ammenities are just not offered in regular cabins. We not only pay the additional amount, but add a very nice tip on top, most of the time.

Like some of the other cruisers on this board, we have been fortunate enough to have had the same cabin attendent on several cruises, so they pretty much know our needs, and one more than one occasion, when we have opened our door, our cabin attendant has all of our anticipated needs met.

In my book, they deserve extra. We don't mind paying for the extra real estate, and fully expect to pay our steward for taking care of us.:)

Rick

Rick

You mean we are suppose to " T I P " on these Cruises ? ? ?

Archived