Update/Resolution to my previous thread

snigg

Think there are some people who are peeved he got an upgrade;)

Well done to the OP for standing up to them.

Im glad he got what he wanted.........even though we have been married for a "bazillion years";),we much rather have a queen bed than twins....

People were still calling him a liar as early as this morning by saying that there was no way he could have called as RCI doesn't open until 8am. One post was edited after the poster realized that now RCI is open 24/7. Basically said there is no way you could have called. Poster, why would he lie about this??? Very odd that more than one person would think this. What does OP have to gain??

How could they not know that RCI is now open 24/7? After all, it's posted right there on RCI's website! :rolleyes:;):D

Think there are some people who are peeved he got an upgrade;)

Well done to the OP for standing up to them.

Don't know that he really "stood up to them." It seems he took a bit of an adversarial posture, thinking RCI wasn't doing what they should, because he booked a room with two twin beds, assuming they could be put together. He was never lied to or any such thing - the original agent didn't say that the beds could be put together.

Now, you could argue that the agent should have pointed out that the beds could not be put together, and there's some merit to that argument. But still, there was no misrepresentation on RCI's part.

The OP became a bit indignant that they wouldn't upgrade him to a suite, because he had booked a room that wasn't really what he wanted. I'm glad it worked out for him, but I understand some of the harsh comments. It's so common these days to see people putting all the blame for problems on someone else, and not accepting any responsibility themselves. People get tired of seeing that attitude and sometimes respond a little rashly to it.

How could they not know that RCI is now open 24/7? After all, it's posted right there on RCI's website! :rolleyes:;):D

Roll your eyes at me all you want but I did not know the main number is now open 24/7 as that is not the number I would ever call. Yes, it is on the website because, as I stated before, I did go check.

I never called the OP a liar, I asked who he called as I thought they were closed.

Don't know that he really "stood up to them." It seems he took a bit of an adversarial posture, thinking RCI wasn't doing what they should, because he booked a room with two twin beds, assuming they could be put together. He was never lied to or any such thing - the original agent didn't say that the beds could be put together.

Now, you could argue that the agent should have pointed out that the beds could not be put together, and there's some merit to that argument. But still, there was no misrepresentation on RCI's part.

The OP became a bit indignant that they wouldn't upgrade him to a suite, because he had booked a room that wasn't really what he wanted. I'm glad it worked out for him, but I understand some of the harsh comments. It's so common these days to see people putting all the blame for problems on someone else, and not accepting any responsibility themselves. People get tired of seeing that attitude and sometimes respond a little rashly to it.

I think he did stand up to them, he didnt just accept the twin beds and when negotiating, you aim higher than you want and meet somewhere in the middle.;)

Congratulations on your upgrade. I'm sure that your thread didn't hurt in getting RCCL's attention.:)

BTW - It's too bad that RCCL didn't offer you the Allure trade. That would have been a GOOD move on their part in winning over a new, young customer, with many years ahead to cruise. That's my opinion. ;) As it is, they still made a good move, without giving you something for barely nothing.

Also, I would pick Labadee, Haiti over Nassau, Bahamas any day. Besides, your first impression of Nassau isn't going to be too pretty since the front dockyard area burned up two days ago. Very sad. :(

Roll your eyes at me all you want but I did not know the main number is now open 24/7 as that is not the number I would ever call. Yes, it is on the website because, as I stated before, I did go check.

I never called the OP a liar, I asked who he called as I thought they were closed.

:confused:My post was not directed at you--it was simply a general response to those who flamed the OP for not seeing the bedding disclosure online, while ignoring the fact that reservation was made by phone, and the RCI rep failed to read the dislosure to the customer. :)

Im with you......Been cruising for a few years....dont read the website everyday,esp the phone number part.......in fact,I have their phone number programmed on my cell........so why bother reading the area where it says 24/7:confused::confused:

Now that you have this resolved and you know you'll be on this sailing, you might be interested to know that there is a forum on this board where members on the same cruise can meet and get to know each other before the cruise takes place.

The roll call for your cruise can be found at this link... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1325616

As a first time cruiser, you may also want to learn more about the ship or tips that other members have learned through their own experiences. If you use the search feature and the term "majesty tips" you will find lots of useful information that might help make this cruise even more enjoyable for your girlfriend and yourself.

Again, I'm glad the issue has been resolved and I hope you have a great time.

:)

I do believe that if the cabin being booked has a significant difference from the other cabins on board, it is the responsibility of the booking agent to point that out.

What if you booked a cruise only to find out that your cabin was one of a handful that shared a bath with another cabin? And somewhere on the website, in small print, it was noted.

I own a business and I asked myself what I would have done in this case. I came to the conclusion that he should have been advised of the difference and, as the business owner, I would make it right.

I fully understand that not everyone feels the same way.

I took it for granted that the RC Agent would assume that my girlfriend and I would want a queen bed, and not two twins. Next time I book a cruise i'll be sure to make sure this issue doesnt happen again.

In addition, I didnt become indignant that they wouldn't upgrade me to a suite. I told RC that i would be perfectly fine taking a room on deck2 with a queen bed, however the ONLY available room on the ship(in their words) was a suite. So if that was the only solution then I felt RC should offer the suite as a solution. It's not like there was several rooms of varying costs that were available and I demanded a suite.

I think he did stand up to them, he didnt just accept the twin beds and when negotiating, you aim higher than you want and meet somewhere in the middle.;)

I guess it felt to me like they were accommodating to him from the very beginning, so there was nothing to "stand up to." They said no to the suite upgrade, but said they'd put him on a waiting list for a more suitable cabin, which they did, and it came through. I guess saying he stood up to them, in my perception, made it sound like they were being unhelpful.

. It's so common these days to see people putting all the blame for problems on someone else, and not accepting any responsibility themselves.

Just as it so common for some around here to admit that Royal Caribbean could possibly ever be wrong. Much less ever admit that RC should ever make their wrong good by doing whats right.

It appears they did that in this case. Kudos to RC and kudos to someone that likely got a free upgrade to a GS and kudos to the OP for having a better cabin on a higher deck with the queen bed he desired.

It appears to be a win for everyone in this situation. Maybe RC just gained another Loyal Royal for doing whats right.

I took it for granted that the RC Agent would assume that my girlfriend and I would want a queen bed, and not two twins. Next time I book a cruise i'll be sure to make sure this issue doesnt happen again.

In addition, I didnt become indignant that they wouldn't upgrade me to a suite. I told RC that i would be perfectly fine taking a room on deck2 with a queen bed, however the ONLY available room on the ship(in their words) was a suite. So if that was the only solution then I felt RC should offer the suite as a solution. It's not like there was several rooms of varying costs that were available and I demanded a suite.

Let me ask you a hypothetical. It is obvious that there were not many rooms left, when you booked, if a week later, when you realized the issue, there was only one cabin left, and it was a Grand Suite. So, maybe there weren't any cabins available in your budget range other than the ones with beds that couldn't be put together. If that were the case, and the agent had informed you at the time, what would you have done? Changed your vacation plans? Paid for a higher-priced cabin? Decided you could make do with the less-than-optimal room layout?

Just curious. I suspect that's why you ended up with that room in the first place. It was probably one of the last ones left, because it was one of the less desirable rooms. So, you did sort of luck out.

:confused:My post was not directed at you--it was simply a general response to those who flamed the OP for not seeing the bedding disclosure online, while ignoring the fact that reservation was made by phone, and the RCI rep failed to read the dislosure to the customer. :)

My apologies then. I was the only one who asked him who he talked to so that is why I thought you meant me.

As far as the bed configuration, it is noted on the website but I am only able to find it if I do a dummy booking. I posted the list of cabins on the now locked, original thread. I do not see the disclaimer if I look at the deckplans.

It is a live and learn situation in my opinion. The OP "assumed" he would have the ability to make a queen bed from the twins, but admittedly, never asked. It also was not disclosed by the RCL rep per the OP.

It is really important that we all do our homework. Not all beds can be made to a queen or even separated to two twins. Buyer beware.

Thats great that it was resolved for you.

I think its sad that many have flamed you for the agents error, you and your GF both where on the phone during the reservation and the agent should have warned you of the rooms limitations.

I agree. Sometimes you simply don't know enough to know what you don't know and this was probably one of those times. The agent on the phone had an obligation to bring to your (the OP's) attention any "irregularities" of the cabin he was suggesting to you. My guess is that the agents' salary somehow is tied to how many deals they close. This agent saw that the only cabins remaining could not be moved to the queen configuration but wanted to close the deal so conveniently avoided disclosing that in order to "make the sale."

Let me ask you a hypothetical. It is obvious that there were not many rooms left, when you booked, if a week later, when you realized the issue, there was only one cabin left, and it was a Grand Suite. So, maybe there weren't any cabins available in your budget range other than the ones with beds that couldn't be put together. If that were the case, and the agent had informed you at the time, what would you have done? Changed your vacation plans? Paid for a higher-priced cabin? Decided you could make do with the less-than-optimal room layout?

Just curious. I suspect that's why you ended up with that room in the first place. It was probably one of the last ones left, because it was one of the less desirable rooms. So, you did sort of luck out.

Your post is kind of unclear to me, but are you asking what I would have done initially had the twin bed room be the only available option at the initial booking? I stated this to RC during the process yesterday. If the original booking agent would have said, "Sir, the only room available in your price range has two twin beds that cannot convert" then I would have paid more money, or booked a cruise at a later date. When we originally booked the the cruise we explained to the agent that it was our first cruise, we were unfamiliar with the layout of the ship as far as what rooms are desirable(ie, towards the front, back, middle, etc) and asked him for his recommendation. He said, "rooms 20XX and 2022 area available, but 2022 is a better room so we'll put you there." That was the extent of the conversation about the room selection, and I guess I should have asked at that time to make sure the beds would convert, however I trusted the agent.

Not you mema, it was SueL who's post was edited.

To the OP, please dont be upset if you get on board and you notice that the twin beds are apart instead of together forming a queen like you asked for.

All it takes is a quick chat to your room attendant and he will fix the problem.

So far I have had the beds as Ive requested them but it seems hit or miss. Again, your room attendant will be happy to accomodate your request.

Snigg....wonderful that you are now content.

But, persistence was needed...honestly...why would you pay more and why were so many posters on the boards willing let you do it. I mean if you got on the ship what if the OBC was not on your account, another problem, to be resolved.

Easiest resolution for everyone involved was to upgrade you to a cabin that was now "available". End of story...

For some reason, it seems common sense is lacking with some of the reps and supervisors, however I still find RCI to be the most Flexible of all the tour and cruise companies I have dealt with in the last several years.

My advice to you is spend your time resolving your problem and don't waste time posting it on the boards, as few people have had a similar experience.

Enjoy

Another point to be made. Obviously there are many of us that could be considered very experienced cruisers. Even some of us didn't know that there were cabins on board that couldn't convert to twins. While I agree that one needs to do their own homework, it never would have occurred to me to check to see if the twin beds converted to queen. I would have assumed that they did based on past experience.

Snigg ... let us know if they still are giving you OBC as well. Also, when you fill out your paperwork and pre-register, make sure you check the box that says you want the beds together ... We have that on our profile page. Anyway, see you onboard!!

Archived