pet peeves

How about the people that overload their plates at the Windjammer and leave most of it behind? What a waste! Try a small amount first and if you like it, you can be sure it'll be there later or even the next day or more... ;) It's almost like they don't know their own capacity when they are confronted by a buffet. :rolleyes:

My pet peeve is able-bodied people taking the elevator down one floor.

My pet peeve is people who assume that anyone who doesn't have an obvious disability should take the stairs.

No offence but how do you know that the people in the elevator are able bodied? Do they wear a sign around there necks stating that they are perfectly fit & able to walk up or down stairs but they are choosing to use the elevator because they are lazy or want to take the space of someone who is unable to use the stairs?

Everyone is entitled to use the elevators anytime they want regardless of their health as long as they are willing to wait patiently & courteously. I'm sure they are not using them just to annoy you.

Ok, rant over. Have a nice day.:)

My pet peeve is people who assume that anyone who doesn't have an obvious disability should take the stairs.

No offence but how do you know that the people in the elevator are able bodied? Do they wear a sign around there necks stating that they are perfectly fit & able to walk up or down stairs but they are choosing to use the elevator because they are lazy or want to take the space of someone who is unable to use the stairs?

Everyone is entitled to use the elevators anytime they want regardless of their health as long as they are willing to wait patiently & courteously. I'm sure they are not using them just to annoy you.

Ok, rant over. Have a nice day.:)

I never said people that appear able-bodied...I said people that are able-bodied. I would never presume to judge someone's health based on their appearance. But as I said in an earlier post, there are undoubtedly people that could easily take the stairs that don't. That is what I was referring to. And judging from other posts on this thread, I'm not alone in feeling this way!

I never said people that appear able-bodied...I said people that are able-bodied. I would never presume to judge someone's health based on their appearance. But as I said in an earlier post, there are undoubtedly people that could easily take the stairs that don't. That is what I was referring to. And judging from other posts on this thread, I'm not alone in feeling this way!

I understand what you meant, I just don't unerstand how you tell the difference between someone who appears able-bodied & someone who actually is without asking them.

There's not much point getting peeved in case someone able bodied has taken the elevator because they don't want to take the stairs for whatever reason they (quite rightly) choose.

Surely the elevators are there for everyone to use regardless of whether can or can't use the stairs. The choice is totally theirs & they shouldn't have to worry about other people thinking badly of them because they chose not to use the stairs. Just because someone is able to use the stairs doesn't mean they have to use them. It's entirely their choice.

I understand what you meant, I just don't unerstand how you tell the difference between someone who appears able-bodied & someone who actually is without asking them.

There's not much point getting peeved in case someone able bodied has taken the elevator because they don't want to take the stairs for whatever reason they (quite rightly) choose.

Surely the elevators are there for everyone to use regardless of whether can or can't use the stairs. The choice is totally theirs & they shouldn't have to worry about other people thinking badly of them because they chose not to use the stairs. Just because someone is able to use the stairs doesn't mean they have to use them. It's entirely their choice.

Again, I can't tell the difference, nor do I try to. But I know there are some out there that could take the stairs that don't.

Hey, this thread is about pet peeves...I stated mine. I'm not criticizing yours...I'm not sure why you're criticizing mine.:confused:

Again, I can't tell the difference, nor do I try to. But I know there are some out there that could take the stairs that don't.

Hey, this thread is about pet peeves...I stated mine. I'm not criticizing yours...I'm not sure why you're criticizing mine.:confused:

Sorry, didn't mean to criticize.:o Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I just don't understand why anyone has a problem with people using the elevators when they are able to use the stairs. :confused: Why should anyone care?

I just don't understand why anyone has a problem with people using the elevators when they are able to use the stairs. :confused: Why should anyone care?

IMO, it is simple courtesy for someone who is able to take the stairs a couple of flights to do so, leaving the elevator available for those who can't do the stairs or need to go more than a deck or 2. A common complaint on these boards is how crowded the elevators are and how it sucks for those with wheelchairs and ECVs to have to wait for multiple elevators to go by. If more people used the stairs, the elevators would be less crowded and move more quickly.

How about the people that overload their plates at the Windjammer and leave most of it behind? What a waste! Try a small amount first and if you like it, you can be sure it'll be there later or even the next day or more... ;) It's almost like they don't know their own capacity when they are confronted by a buffet. :rolleyes:
I have always wanted to post a sign that says "You are allowed to return for second helpings and a clean plate. It is not mandatory to put soup,salad,main course and desert all on one plate.":rolleyes:

I guess I figure that every time somebody takes the elevator that perhaps could have taken the stairs, they are potentially delaying the elevator for others. Imagine an elevator going from deck 8 straight to deck 3, with people on it. Now imagine that somebody on deck 6 gets on to travel to deck 5. They've just delayed that elevator for whomever was using it. So it does affect other people.

Admittedly it's not a big delay, and I know we're on vacation and should just chill out (do people say that any more?), but when enough people do this, it adds up, and affects even more people, especially at busy times.

Anyway, like I said, it's not a big deal, but it is a pet peeve of mine. But thanks for responding anyway!:)

IMO, it is simple courtesy for someone who is able to take the stairs a couple of flights to do so, leaving the elevator available for those who can't do the stairs or need to go more than a deck or 2. A common complaint on these boards is how crowded the elevators are and how it sucks for those with wheelchairs and ECVs to have to wait for multiple elevators to go by. If more people used the stairs, the elevators would be less crowded and move more quickly.

But most of the time you would not know if that person can use the stairs or not. I was given a dirty look from an elderly lady when I entered the elavator to go up one floor. I dont look disabled and never say I am, but I do have a disability, climbing stairs I can manage but it causes pain so prefer not to use them. I expect she was peeved but little did she know.;)

But most of the time you would not know if that person can use the stairs or not. I was given a dirty look from an elderly lady when I entered the elavator to go up one floor. I dont look disabled and never say I am, but I do have a disability, climbing stairs I can manage but it causes pain so prefer not to use them. I expect she was peeved but little did she know.;)

My wife is in the same shape. She can do most anything..she works out hard everyday, can walk like the wind, ride a bike.... but, the one thing that hurts her is to step up on anything, much less go up stairs due to a hip injury. You can't always judge by just looking and assuming.

Yes, I understand and have already addressed that multiple times, including my OP.

Now before anyone jumps on me, I don't judge anyone who takes the elevator for 1 or 2 floors, since, even if they look capable, they may have other issues that aren't visible. Well, I do judge DH, since I know he's just being lazy. :p I just think it would be nice for people to use the stairs more often so elevators would be more readily available for those who need to use them. It's usually faster and you get some bonus exercise.

Please believe me when I say I would not roll my eyes. My peeve is more aimed at the general population rather than individuals. I saw very few people taking the stairs and lots of people waiting for the elevators. I doubt 90% of the people onboard were unable to take the stairs. I really just want the elevators to be more available for people who need to take them (for whatever reason), like you. I hope I didn't offend you. :o

Oh yes, absolutely agree. MIL is very active and is in great shape. She's 62 but looks 52. However, she has a bad knee and can barely bend it now and has a hard time with stairs. You can't tell by watching her walk on flat ground.

Personally, when I am alone, I try to take the stairs. But I have recently traveled with a wife and friend both dealing with stress fractures in theor feet, another friend using a wheel chair because he was weak from chemo, and various other members if the group for whom it was difficult, if not impossible to use the stairs, even for a flight or two. When I am with the group, I feel no guilt about accompanying them in the elevator. The elevators are for everyone.

If someone uses the elevator for a single floor, I smile and hold the door for them. As time4u2go said -- it's no big deal.

• 2 months later...
People who try to stuff themselves in an elevator even though it is obviously full. Sometimes a whole group of them trying to stuff in. Folks, this isn't the last chopper out of Saigon, there will be another elevator by, probably within 20 seconds.

I agree. However, there are also the people who try to tell you the elevator is full when all they have to do is take a step back to let a few more people on.

Hard to tell what "able bodied" is sometimes. My husband has a harder time going DOWN stairs than up, because he's had heel surgery on both feet. The downward motion is hard on his feet.

DW and I are both "able bodied" but sometimes when I suggest that we just take the stairs, she tells me I'm being inpatient.

One of my peeves is people who don't know how to say 'excuse me.' They'll knock you over and not even look you in the eye because they either don't care or know they're wrong for doing that. Look, we're all trying to get somewhere, so just be nice. It only takes a second to say it. :confused:

I'll second that one, and its become a big deal anywhere in public where a large amount of people gather. It seems to me people are now thinking, "I'll never see these people again, I don't have to waste energy on common courtesy. To me on a cruise, everybody is a potential new friend, perhaps a short term one, but a friend anyway. Normally, I hate waiting in lines, but on a cruise I don't mind most lines and can easily strike up a conversation with someone new while waiting. At least on the cruise ship, I'm rarely bumped into by someone who is texting, checking their stocks, playing angry birds, or posting on facebook while they are walking.

My pet peeve is able-bodied people taking the elevator down one floor.

As one can see, this issue has been addressed. My sister cannot walk down stairs and I accompany her in the elevator at times. If the elevator is crowded, I'll go ahead and meet her...she wishes she could manage stairs. My next cruise I may at times have to use a wheelchair and it's not something I look forward to. Thank goodness it will only be a temporary issue and my next cruise I'll be back to full health again. I'm kind of anticipating I'll get some rude remarks from folks who will witness me walking short distances, hopefully that will not happen.

Uh, has it occurred to you that you CAN board a couple of hours later? The WJ will still be open and you could stash your carry-ons in your cabin before going there. Even though we are only 20 minutes from Cape Liberty from which we often cruise, DH flatly refuses to get there before the cabins are ready anymore after having endured the crowds and table hogs from prior cruises. Just not worth the hassle, especially if all you are going to do upon boarding is eat and then sit there until your cabin is ready.

This is what we prefer to do when we cruise, even when it's not from our home port. We've even stopped for brunch a couple times before boarding a ship, way better than ship buffet food. When we cruise from a distant port, we have gone on excursions to see the city sites. That hour or two on board a ship on embarkation day is just not that important to us and yes, our vacation has already started as well (I read this comment a lot) even if not onboard a ship.

My pet peeve in a crowd is not just limited to cruise ships. It's when the person behind or next to you sees their companions and yells at the top of their lungs to get attention. Please wait until you get closer, or at the very least try not to yell in my ear. Other than that, a group of people walking 4/5 abreast slowly, blocking the path of others or just plain stopping with no regard for traffic flow. If you have to stop and chat, move to the side, please. If you have to walk as a group, simply walk 2 abreast in line and keep to the right if you want to stroll...maybe that way you wouldn't have to stop to talk, since you would be better able to hear each other.

I'm way too impatient to wait for elevators (plus, I just don't really like riding in them anywhere) so I always take the stairs too. DH and I say it helps us get in some exercise in between stuffing our faces!

Smoking is a pet peeve of mine too!

Yep, I rarely ride the elevators I do not have the patience to stand and wait so that is not a concern. The folks with the strollers and scooters used as battering rams are extremely annoying in any setting - cruise ship, mall, grocery, etc.

I try to go with the flow on vacation so not a lot really strikes a nerve with me. I do enjoy a snooze on the decks and probably have even drooled a bit - but please don't stare, just as I don't stare at some of the horrible fashion choices of my fellow cruisers.

Like others, I have taken multiple turns around the WJ looking for a table, but one of us usually finds one while the other person gets their food.

I find as I get older my ability to concentrate on reading material is fast flying out the window - thanks to the poster who mentioned the noise cancelling headphones.

My biggest pet peeve unfortunately is directed at posters who insist on beginning sentences with "me and..." grrr. :mad:

Archived