Noro Virus on Enchantment of the seas

jkneern

That was going around on my sailing last month too. Someone from RC told me that it's common in elderly people and nursing homes. There weren't a whole lot of elderly on my cruise however.

I liked the fact that they took extra clean precautions.

Don't touch your food, don't touch the sanitizer dispensers and wash your hands as much as possible and you should be fine.

I always take liquid hand soap with me.

I was on the same cruise last month and there definitely was not an issue with norovirus. I've been on the ship many times and know a few key crew members and managers. They would have told me if there was a problem because they would have been taking precautions. Yes, I do talk with some of them about some situations that are not publicized, so, again, I must say there was no noro on EN last month.

Many people had colds, but colds are not gastro-intenstinal problems and noro is.

This doesn't surprise us at all. We were on the ship the 1/8 sailing and no one ever used the purrell. They never bothered to refill them. It comes down from the captain- very loose on our sailing. There is a new captain on board now... On the Navigator in Europe this past August- there was someone standing there welcoming you to the dinning rooms, cafe upstairs- and pointed to the purrell.

Do you really think the captain would knowingly ignore a health problem and put the crew, passengers, and himself at risk? Captain Rob is a senior captain who would never do what you're suggesting. Give me a break!

Sanitizing gels do absolutely nothing to stop the outbreak of the Noro Virus. Best bet is to wash your hands thoroughly with HOT water as often as you possibly can. I never contracted it but spoke to people who had and it's no way to spend your vacation, especially if you are quarantined to an inside cabin : (

Happy and healthy sails to all.

Don:t start this rumor. Sanitizing gels do work...maybe not as well as handwashing but they do help. Especially if used after touching menus or salt and pepper shakers. Better than nothing......:)

We've sailed after an out break and had to wait for them to bleach down everything. We did not get sick! I lysol'ed my state room and sprayed everything. The crew will be bleaching down everything, every day. You will see them at the elevators, stair wells, bathrooms... It will be fine. Enjoy your cruise and wash up regularly! ;)

It's actually a lot more likely that you didn't get sick because you were immune to that strain of the virus from previous exposure.

Don:t start this rumor. Sanitizing gels do work...maybe not as well as handwashing but they do help. Especially if used after touching menus or salt and pepper shakers. Better than nothing......:)

This is not a rumor. Do the research as I did. Talk to a medical professional, read all the medical articles about the norovirus. Then come back and tell us how it works to kill the norovirus. It doesn't.

I got very,very ill with some sort of GI illness on day 6 of last year's Adventure of the Seas. After posting here to see if anyone else got sick I concluded that I must have caught the bug from the bottled water I bought in Dominica from the street vendor. I returned home and was violently ill for a week requiring IV fluids to help me rehydrate. I am a healthcare worker and avid hand washer and will bringing sanitizing wipes with me when in ports on my March 6 Adventure of the Seas cruise. One can never be too safe!

This is not a rumor. Do the research as I did. Talk to a medical professional, read all the medical articles about the norovirus. Then come back and tell us how it works to kill the norovirus. It doesn't.

You're half right. The purely alcohol based sanitizers aren't that effective against norovirus. You want to be sure to get a hand sanitizer with benzalkonium chloride (BAC). Be sure to check the label. It all depends on what you get.

Okay we alway get ill on the last 2 days of a cruise and my husband can't understand it. the ships are kept very clean.I think that the enclosed recirculated air sytems on a ship keep the virus active and I also think that the solariums with the moist air contribute to illness. I noticed right away that if I did not frequent the solarium I immediately felt better. Just my opinion after 6 cruises.

Okay we alway get ill on the last 2 days of a cruise and my husband can't understand it. the ships are kept very clean.I think that the enclosed recirculated air sytems on a ship keep the virus active and I also think that the solariums with the moist air contribute to illness. I noticed right away that if I did not frequent the solarium I immediately felt better. Just my opinion after 6 cruises.

Interesting. I know that hot tubs are a breeding ground for all kinds of yucky stuff, and they are certainly used in the Solarium, in a fairly enclosed area...maybe that could be the problem? Just a thought.

You're half right. The purely alcohol based sanitizers aren't that effective against norovirus. You want to be sure to get a hand sanitizer with benzalkonium chloride (BAC). Be sure to check the label. It all depends on what you get.

Thanks for the tip!

Interesting. I know that hot tubs are a breeding ground for all kinds of yucky stuff, and they are certainly used in the Solarium, in a fairly enclosed area...maybe that could be the problem? Just a thought.

We were on the Celebrity Horizen years ago when there was a Legionnaire's Disease outbreak. I believe one person died and quite a few got violently ill. The cause was determined to be the hot tubs which were totally removed. These hot tubs were outdoors near the pool.

I have been looking for something that will work and can't find anything. Do you have brand names for products that would be available at a retail store (and what kind of stores)?

Agreed that the new sanitizing formulas do work better now. The previous issues years ago was that the formulas were purely alcohol based and not ethanol type based and they added glycerin which actually protected the norovirus.

Another issue was that they have to be at least 60% and 70% is the best percentage to effectively kill norovirus specifically and many over the counter (including Purell at one time) were only 40% and not effective at all.

The problem with norovirus is that it is a lipid-enveloped virus and so alcohol doesn't do much to it. The new formulas which most cruise ships are using use the ethanol product with an added emollient that helps break down the lipid envelops and disable the virus. This stuff can be ordered online from Germstar and it was i've seen on ships most recently. There's also some effective products out there containing Benzalkonium Chloride but this ingredient has been shown to contribute to the development of super strains of bacteria and are fading out. Use the sanitizer as it's better than nothing!

I have been looking for something that will work and can't find anything. Do you have brand names for products that would be available at a retail store (and what kind of stores)?

Germ X makes alcohol free wipes that are Benzalkonium Chloride. I take them with me for each cruise. I buy them at Wal Mart but most any pharmacy will likely carry them too. i believe you can get them individually packaged too.

300.jpg

Archived