BLACK TIE, A TIE or NO TIE?

winncruiser

Although we dress very casually at home, we both like to dress up on formal nights (DH in DJ, or tux, as it is known in US), as we don't have many opportunities to do this at home now. Yes, we do have weight restrictions now on the flights, but we have decided to pay for an extra bag rather than skimp on what we take. DJ doesn't weigh more than a suit anyway. DHs only complaint is that if the air con is not working properly, it can get very hot at times. When in the Forces and in the tropics, formal dress could be a dress shirt, black tie and cumerbund (with DJ trousers, of course;)) .... much more comfortable when very hot.

I wear my Kilt with a Charlie Coat occasionally-I wear the Wexford kilt from Ireland and Macfarline[buchanan] kilt from Scotland-my heritage is 100% scot/irish back over 250 years.

I wore my kilt for our wedding in its full regala with my medals-I had alot of passengers ask to take a picture with me!:p

As much as I love my kilt, its very heavy and alot to carry on board[shoes-socks-garters-kilt-coat-sporan-etc].

Hi There,

As to the wearing of the kilt,

I would not wear a Tartan from another clan,

however foot ball clubs have there own tartan,

there are national tartans,

then they are just plain new non clan nice looking tartans.

I would wear a miltary tartan out of respect for that unit, service etc.

The kilt it self can be worn by anyone, and is by many around the world.

So I have no issue with anyone wishing to wear a kilt, there is nothing to

stop anyone from getting a tartan made to there own design and having a

kilt made out of it.

yours Shogun

Hi All

I have cruised we people from many parts of the world and I for one like to see people dress in their national dress, often this is very colourfull, but that does not matter, they are showing respect to the dress code of the evening that of being formal, and are adding to our knowledge of their customs and history.

So while I would not cruise on a ship that required formal dress ever night for dinner, I do like to see a few formal nights on a cruise, for me it is all part of the cruise experience.

And yes folks my knees will be on show on my up and coming cruise,

my only concern is the last time I stayed in Miami some one stole my kilt.

yours Shogun

The bottom line is that formal nights are pretty easy for men. Either a suit or Tux is fine but we always take a Tux since we own one and its no different then packing a suit. These days I am not sure its makes sense to spend the expense of renting formal wear for a cruise as a dark suit is more then acceptable.

Hank

My DH does not own a tux, but has a very nice black suit that looks sharp and fits well. He wore that for formal night on our recent Cunard cruise and looked great. He'll also take that for our Mexico cruise on the Sapphire Princess in two weeks (we'll drive to the port). But when we fly to Rome for our Equinox cruise, he'll probably rent a tux just to save some space in the luggage.

My DH does not own a tux, but has a very nice black suit that looks sharp and fits well. He wore that for formal night on our recent Cunard cruise and looked great. He'll also take that for our Mexico cruise on the Sapphire Princess in two weeks (we'll drive to the port). But when we fly to Rome for our Equinox cruise, he'll probably rent a tux just to save some space in the luggage.

When I first started cruising I too owned a simple but clean-cut black suit. It was my sister who convinced me to add a formal shirt ($23) with standard studs ($5) and to ad bow tie ($6). And I found out that few if any could or would want to tell the difference? It worked well until I added a few pounds when I decided to purchase a tux. I was amazed at the low cost of a tux and it weighs half that of the black suit.

When I first started cruising I too owned a simple but clean-cut black suit. It was my sister who convinced me to add a formal shirt ($23) with standard studs ($5) and to ad bow tie ($6). And I found out that few if any could or would want to tell the difference? It worked well until I added a few pounds when I decided to purchase a tux. I was amazed at the low cost of a tux and it weighs half that of the black suit.

Actually, DH does own a tux from 15 years ago that he has "outgrown." So he still has the formal white shirt, studs, bow tie and cummerbund. Do you wear your black suit with a cummerbund, or leave that off? Maybe I will have him experiment with that on the Sapphire in two weeks. Although he looked pretty good on the Queen Victoria with the black suit, white "business" shirt and silver tie.

Actually, DH does own a tux from 15 years ago that he has "outgrown." So he still has the formal white shirt, studs, bow tie and cummerbund. Do you wear your black suit with a cummerbund, or leave that off? Maybe I will have him experiment with that on the Sapphire in two weeks. Although he looked pretty good on the Queen Victoria with the black suit, white "business" shirt and silver tie.

For me, both girth and age has made me forgo the cummerbun, but that is a persoanl decision. But by having both types of shirts and ties gives one more options to dress as one feels for the particular evening with minimal additional packing.

The kilt it self can be worn by anyone, and is by many around the world.

So I have no issue with anyone wishing to wear a kilt, there is nothing to

stop anyone from getting a tartan made to there own design and having a

kilt made out of it.

yours Shogun

Excellent points, Shogun. Thank you. I currently have two kilts; one in my family tartan, another in a tartan that I designed and is registered in Scotland to me and my descendants. My next one will be the Confederate Memorial tartan, a magnificent tartan mainly in grey.

I wear a tie only to formal night where I have chosen the easy way out - I rent a tux from the ship. This way I don't have to pack a suit and it's extremely reasonable! I strongly believe it's only a matter of time before casual attire wins out. I must say; I'm looking forward to this day :)

I never wear a tie. I wear a nice sport coat and a turtle neck type shirt on formal nights. I do wear socks with my crocs because it is a formal evening.

Nice to hear you wear socks with your crocs! ;)

I go with blue blazer, khaki pants, dress shirt, no tie and sandals. Never had a problem in the MDR on formal night.

Archived