Day trip from New York to Washington DC or Boston

SPY1956

We will be staying at Staybridge suite on 40th street for 5 days post cruise in October. We are 2 ladies and would like to take a bus tour to Washington or Boston. After reading some negative postings re Greyhound bus travel, could someone please recommend a safer bus company?

you'd be better off just taking AMTRAK into DC. once at the main terminal in DC you can use the subway to get around very easily. system is very similar to the one you have locally. Maps of the area can be found at all the Museums. these maps also list the subway stations.

I highly recommend the Zoo if you are of a mind. but that is a day trip by and of itself. also, Each museum is easily an all day affair if you let it, and that doesn't count all the memorials we have on the Mall.

It's been a hundred years since I have been to Boston but AMTRAK is probably your best bet to get up there too.

Greyhound is a glorifed taxi cab. there are Bus tours that are better but I am not familiar with any particular ones, I just hear ads all the time on the radio.. day trips to NYC for one low price. I imagine the reverse is true as well

You mention taking a "day trip" in your title. Given the travel time and distance to Boston or Washington, you would consume much of the day just on intercity travel, which will significantly cut into the time you actually have to tour. If you want to go to either city allow yourself at least a day or two to actually stay in your city of choice and tour.

Greyhound Lines is probably the safest carrier of any that operate between New York, Washington, and Boston. However, the difference in safety records between Greyhound Lines, other legacy bus companies, the railroads, and the airlines are so slight as to be statistically insignificant (travel by automobile is much more dangerous than any of these common carriers).

You may prefer to use another carrier for reasons of comfort or for superior customer service. But on the basis on the safety, there are no carriers statistically safer than Greyhound Lines.

(If you want to look at some actual statistics you can go the website of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, http://www.fmcsa.gov, and review details. The report for Greyhound Lines is at http://www.safersys.org/query.asp?searchtype=ANY&query_type=queryCarrierSnapshot&query_param=USDOT&original_query_param=NAME&query_string=44110&original_query_string=GREYHOUND%20LINES%20INC. Taking a look at that report you can see that over the past 2 years, the national average out-of-service percentage for vehicles has been 20.72 percent, and for Greyhound Lines 10.4 percent. The same statistics for drivers are 5.51 percent nationally, and 1.6 percent for Greyhound Lines. Over the past 2 years, as a result of crashes, Greyhound Lines has had 3 fatalities and 74 injuries.)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Indeed its a long bus trip going to Boston or Washington for a day trip. It is our first time to U.S so thought we could see as much during our short trip there. I would be travelling more frequently from next year so may look at another trip to spend more time in your lovely country. Its a heatwave down under, temp. over 35 degree C. for over 2 weeks!

Since you are literally from the other side of the planet I can see why you would want to do this. It is possible but it makes for a long day.

If you really want to see Boston or DC in a day trip from NYC, take Amtrak. The train, especially the Acela, is much faster so you will have more time to tour. In DC you come into Union station which has amazing architecture all it's own. It will be a very long day but you can nap on the train.

You can probably do some kind of bus tour or a Ride the Ducks overview in either city to get an overview. In DC stroll the mall & the tidal basin to see the big monmuments. In Boston go to Boston Commons, check out Nob Hill & walk part of the Freedom trail.

The bus ride from NYC to Boston is 3-1/4 hours each way. If you were to catch the earliest bus (Bolt Bus) from New York at 7am and the 10pm bus back you would have about 10 hours to visit Boston.

Boston is a small and easily walkable or via subway but coming all the way from Perth it seems a shame to spend 7 hours on a bus.

Enjoy your visit whatever you do!

heck you could spend most of the Day at Union and still see a lot!. there are some nice restaurants there, plus some very good shopping.

also the DC subway has an all day one price pass ( valid after 9 am and only restricted thereafter during the afternoon rush hour) you can hop on and off the entire system for one price as opposed to piecemealing it or having to trudge allll the way back to your original stop( there are three or 4 stations along the Mall and depending on where you end up one station is closer than another)

it's also very easy to get around..and each station has employees( and random passers by) who can help you figure things out.

We will be staying at Staybridge suite on 40th street for 5 days post cruise in October. We are 2 ladies and would like to take a bus tour to Washington or Boston. After reading some negative postings re Greyhound bus travel, could someone please recommend a safer bus company?

Taking the Amtrak train is a better option. The Greyhound bus station in Washington, D.C. is not in a very good part of town (personal safety is an issue). Amtrak may be slightly more expensive but you would avoid the heavy traffic conditions on the highways between NYC and D.C.

I agree that if you want to come to DC, take Amtrak. From Union Station, you can walk to the museums or take the Metro. If you take the metro, you can get off at the Smithsonian station which would drop you off in the middle of the mall area. Looking one way you can see the Capitol and the other way the Washington Monument. There is also a bus that takes you around the mall and you can get on and off a various places. The Zoo is in another part of the city and is not close to the mall area but interesting to see.

Greyhound Lines is probably the safest carrier of any that operate between New York, Washington, and Boston. However, the difference in safety records between Greyhound Lines, other legacy bus companies, the railroads, and the airlines are so slight as to be statistically insignificant (travel by automobile is much more dangerous than any of these common carriers).

You may prefer to use another carrier for reasons of comfort or for superior customer service. But on the basis on the safety, there are no carriers statistically safer than Greyhound Lines.

While it is true that most intercity bus companies have an enviable safety record in terms of accidents, there is also "safety" in terms of crimes against passengers, or the threat of same. And in this regard, I would venture to guess that Greyhound is much less safe than Amtrak, the airlines, or even other bus lines like MegaBus.

If you want to spend a day in DC from NY, I second the advice to travel by train (Amtrak) and not bus. While train delays are not unheard of, the highways between NY and DC are some of the most congested in our country; all it takes is one accident, or some construction, and boom.. A 4-5 hour trip becomes even longer. If on time, the Acela does the trip in about three hours, the cheaper trains a little longer.

It's very easy to get around DC by taxi, Metro, and by walking. If you have specific things you'd like to see and advice about your time in DC, please come back and let us know.

As others have said, this isn't exactly a day trip as your travel time round trip would be six plus hours.

I would spend either your first or last day in Washington DC and skip Boston.

Amtrak is much safer mode of travel in terms of passenger safety.

Amtrak will take you from city center to city center.

While it is true that most intercity bus companies have an enviable safety record in terms of accidents, there is also "safety" in terms of crimes against passengers, or the threat of same. And in this regard, I would venture to guess that Greyhound is much less safe than Amtrak, the airlines, or even other bus lines like MegaBus.

It is more difficult to quantify "security" (as compared to "safety"), but I'm not sure if I would be in full agreement, at least in the northeast.

Civility on all modes had decreased, and there are so many stories of altercations on board all modes of travel. But like the cruise ship industry, carriers probably do a lot to sweep such incidents under the rug. I would say that it is likely that security varies as a function of the economic well-being of the passengers on board. In the northeast, people of all income levels travel by bus, train, and airplane, and I would suggest that security on all modes is quite similar. Outside the northeast, buses are disproportionately patronized by people with below-average income, and therefore more likely to have security incidents. Likewise, sleeping cars on trains are disproportionately patronized by well-to-do vacationers, and are probably most secure.

So long as one travels with a good head on one's shoulders, I would not see much concern with security on buses in the northeast.

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I will take your advice and catch a train to Washington DC. We will select a few sites as suggested and return to your lovely country next time for a longer visit.

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I will take your advice and catch a train to Washington DC. We will select a few sites as suggested and return to your lovely country next time for a longer visit.

i think you've made a wise decision, and I hope you have a wonderful time here.

The only thing I know about Australian trains comes from a documentary I saw about the one that goes clear across the country, and I distinctly remember them saying that the train toddles along at a stately 17 m.p.h. for much of its route. (Don't remember why.) If this is true of your trains in general, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Northeast Corridor service. The trains average something like 80 m.p.h. (including station stops) and top out at about 120 m.p.h. It's a fun ride.

Try Bolt Bus.

Taking the train is a wise decision for a couple of reasons. Union Station is in the area that you want to be--The Mall (the place where all the monuments and museums are). The Grayhound Bus station would mean that you have to take another form of transportation to get to the Mall and as someone mentioned, one accident can mean a delay. The DC area is known for their heavy traffic. As I said, you can walk down to the Capitol and the museums from Union Station. I live in the area, so if you need any other help all you have to do is ask.

Check the Amtrak.com for schedule and pricing info. The regular train takes only about 20-25 minutes more than the Acela, and is much less expensive, and would be my recommendation. Amtrak is currently offering a $49 fare if purchased at least 2 weeks in advance. It's like airline discounts, a limited number of tickets available at that price, so not offered on all departures. I agree with posters who suggest the train over the bus, just because there's less of a chance of delays. There is a hop-on-hop-off type bus at Union Station where the train arrives, which will give you an overview tour of D.C. The Mall is between the Capitol and the Washington Monument, and is lined with all the Smithsonian Museums, which are free, so you can walk along and go into each one to see whatever interests you, although it would be overly ambitious to try to visit each one in one day.

The only thing I know about Australian trains comes from a documentary I saw about the one that goes clear across the country, and I distinctly remember them saying that the train toddles along at a stately 17 m.p.h. for much of its route. .

sorry, wrong info..

it would never get there at that rate!

Length of Journey: 65 hours/4,352km one way

Average Speed of Train: 85km/hour (max speed 115km/hour)

2697513840071872817S600x600Q85.jpg

remember OZ is the same size as the USA..

sorry, wrong info..

it would never get there at that rate!

Length of Journey: 65 hours/4,352km one way

Average Speed of Train: 85km/hour (max speed 115km/hour)

Well, that makes a lot more sense. Maybe something happened to the particular train that the documentary film crew was riding to make it go so slowly.

My knowledge of Australia is pretty much limited to "Crocodile Dundee," "Finding Nemo," and that train documentary. I really hope to rectify this deficiency with a trip Down Under at some point, as I would love to see your country. In the meantime, I truly hope you'll have an enjoyable and memorable visit to mine.

Archived