carnival dream or Norwegian epic

cruisin73

Which cruise would be better? Both are going to the same ports Epic leaves from Miami which I've done a million times ok 3 times Dream out of cape Canaveral which I think would be a nice change. Dream is about 400.00 cheaper but also a cheaper hotel than one i can get in Miami. Also we are taking our then 11 year old. We do not plan on taking him to st martin when we are there so he would have to stay on the ship in the kids club. So knowing this which cruise line would you choose?

I was on the Dream last year with my family in June - We are going again this summer as well. My father went on the Norweigan Epic for 2 weeks in December. He was overall, disappointed with the service & got bored fast on board. He was also very unhappy with the kids clubs.

I, on the other hand, LOVED the Dream. It was a beautiful ship with lots of activities! We were never bored & always had something planned to do. The Water Park is so much fun, for adults & children. Your child will have a great time - their kids clubs are fantastic, as well as the staff. There is so many dining options, especially for lunch - and none of them have extra fees like NCL. The Dream has one speciality restaurant, The Steakhouse, which is fantastic.

I agree that Carnival has better kids clubs than Norwegian, although maybe the epic is better than the one we went on (Star). We always did the late night entertainment and when we went to get our daughter on Norwegian she was usually the last kid to get picked up, whereas there were usually lots of kids still there on the Carnival cruises.

I have not been on either ship but on each cruise line. I have two small children and was also recently debating those two ships. We are a family that quite often likes to stay on ship while in port, its quiet and just more relaxing. The fact that I would have to pay $10 per hour if my girls wanted to play at the play facility on the Epic, just wasn't worth it to me. Seem to be a lot of "extras" on that ship!

We LOVED the EPIC. We had 5 kids in our group. They all had a great time in the kids club. The waterslides are really fun. I think we liked them as much as the kids - although, they were much faster climbing the steps. My nephew is 10 1/2 and he spent one whole sea day in kids club - we couldn't get him to come out - he was having so much fun.

I have no clue how you could possibly get bored on the EPIC. We definately want to go for another week to do everything we missed. This is an awesome ship!

I haven't cruised on NCL, yet. But, I was on the Dream in January with my husband. I spent some time checking out the childrens' club areas because I'm planning another cruise on the Dream, with our kids, extended family and friends. I was impressed with the Camp Carnival areas - the Dream class ships have much more space alotted to the camp areas/club areas.

Just looking at the financial benefits of cruising the Dream would be a plus if I was looking at the two cruises. Cape Canaveral has some interesting places to visit before or after your cruise. DS wants to visit NASA when we go back.

I had posted my impression of the Epic on this forum in January. We really loved it. The kids club was excellent. The slides were fun and the pool area was really nice. My daughter was 12 and she liked the kids club.

There is so much to do on the ship, I can't imagine being bored. Yet at the same time you can just lay on a pool lounger and do nothing.

I also love the freestyle aspect of not having to go to dinner at the same time every evening. Makes it so easy when traveling with kids.

Link in my signature shows the dailies from the Eastern Caribbean route (with St. Maarten) and also the 10-12 kids club info.

We love Carnival and sail them alot. My kids have so much fun in the kids club. We are planning to try Epic next March for their spring break. I am reading mixed reviews some good some bad but I think it will be fun to experience a ship like that. I dont think you can go worng with either line.

We love NCL, and prefer it over Carnival. We found plenty to do on the Dawn, Spirit and Jewel, and our 3 girls loved the kids crew. As a family we enjoyed the overall experience of NCL and found the staff awesome.

We just cruised on the Epic 2 weeks ago. LOVED IT!!! Our 7 year old never wanted to leave the kids club. There was so much to do, I really don't understand people who say they were bored. The waterslides were awesome - esp. Epic Plunge!

You will really have a great time no matter what ship you choose. :)

Loved the EPIC, little one loved the EPIC..I read above where someone said they were bored on the EPIC? Wow....EPIC is the entertainment ship. My little one who is not yet 3 has been on 6 different cruiselines and the NCL so far was her favorite... and just for the record she will never step foot on a Carnival ship again..after 2 days she refused to go in there....I am not going to go into any details as I don't want to fight with the Carnival cheerleaders but if I were you I would choose EPIC without hesitation. If you want to do a Dream ship...do the Disney Dream at least that would be a fair comparison.

Loved the EPIC, little one loved the EPIC..I read above where someone said they were bored on the EPIC? Wow....EPIC is the entertainment ship. My little one who is not yet 3 has been on 6 different cruiselines and the NCL so far was her favorite... and just for the record she will never step foot on a Carnival ship again..after 2 days she refused to go in there....I am not going to go into any details as I don't want to fight with the Carnival cheerleaders but if I were you I would choose EPIC without hesitation. If you want to do a Dream ship...do the Disney Dream at least that would be a fair comparison.

Glad to hear your little one LOVED epic. My DS will be just over 3 next March and I was worried about the combined ages in the kids club and him not wanting to participate, glad to hear yours loved it!! I cant wait.

Glad to hear your little one LOVED epic. My DS will be just over 3 next March and I was worried about the combined ages in the kids club and him not wanting to participate, glad to hear yours loved it!! I cant wait.

I saw a little guy in the kids club kinda standing around after drop off acting shy and one of the coordinaters came over and really made him feel welcome. They are awesome on EPIC I was so impressed. We sailed EPIC, OASIS and Disney Dream within the past year and EPIC kids club really really stood out as the best.

Not been on Dream, but did Epic last October, it is now one of my favorite ships.

However, in your situation, it will probably depend on what time of year it is and how many other kids are sailing since he's pre-teen.

If it's summer you'd be ok- but if it's off season- you will probably see more kids on Carnival- that's just been my experience.

You might be able to call the cruiseline and ask how many kids are booked so far?

My 16 year old and 3 year old loved the Epic.

If it were just for me - I'd pick Epic as well-

Julie

• 11 months later...

go with the epic. its easy, relaxing, and has the freestyle concept embeded in it.

2010- Norwegian Epic East Caribbean

2012- Disney Dream 3 night bahama

2013- Disney Magic 5 night bahama

We LOVED the EPIC. We had 5 kids in our group. They all had a great time in the kids club. The waterslides are really fun. I think we liked them as much as the kids - although, they were much faster climbing the steps. My nephew is 10 1/2 and he spent one whole sea day in kids club - we couldn't get him to come out - he was having so much fun.

I have no clue how you could possibly get bored on the EPIC. We definately want to go for another week to do everything we missed. This is an awesome ship!

I agree...there was so much to do and it was my favorite cruise to date. I have not sailed on the Dream but we have been on 5 other Carnival cruises...I have to say the entertainment on the EPIC was much better than anything I have seen on Carnival. Pick your cruise based on what your family is interested in....which ever you pick have a blast.

Wow that year went by fast (looking at my posts from 1 yr ago on this thread)! We are set to sail the EPIC a week from Saturday. Now all I read are awesome reviews for this ship and I am sure my 6 and 3 year-old will have a great time! Looking forward to all the EPIC has to offer and agree it is nothing like anything on Carnival (although the price for us is about double what we normally spend on a cruise).

• 1 year later...

I see you've taken alot of cruises. We've only done 10 so far. Just returned yesterday from the Carnival Breeze. Beautiful ship. Have also done the Dream, Liberty, Glory and Sensation. Have done 4 with RC and 1 with Disney (didn't like at all). We are looking to try a different cruiseline, but can 't seem to fine answers to our questions and was hoping you could help. Thinking of the new Norgweigan Getaway for next summer which won't be ready to sail until next year. Our family is REALLY impressed with the number of "complimentary" dining choices on Carnival and fear the NC won't be the same. Seems like the only complimentary dining that NC has is the main dining rooms and the buffet. Is that it? Carnival Dream & Breeze has in addition the BBQ, the Mongolian wok, the deli, the soup & salad at the Taste Bar, the pizzeria, the indian food, the Guys Burger Joint, the pasta bar restaurant and the taco/Burrito section. All complimentary included in the price. They also have 24 hour ice cream and open up grills late at night on deck at 11pm. There's just so much to choose from. From what I can see all the choices on NC are extra charge......is this correct?

Also....what kind of activities do they have aside of the shows and waterpark? We are big on the trivia games that carnival does. Do they have a big screen movie theater on deck? Do they have movies at all? Are they complimentary or extra money?

What about beverages. I know carnival provides round the clock lemonade, iced tea, milk, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. RC only provides water outside of dining hours. What is NC like when it comes to beverages? Also, do they have the soda card like carnival has where you can pay 1 price and have unlimited soda throughout the week?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. -Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to bump this for you.

We haven't been on NCL yet, but we're booked for next May. I can let you know what I've learned from my research though. NCL has a 24 hour restaurant, 2 MDRs, the buffet, room service, and an outdoor buffet. They offer iced tea, coffee, juice in the morning, and several flavored waters. I think they also offer milk. I hope this helps!

I see you've taken alot of cruises. We've only done 10 so far. Just returned yesterday from the Carnival Breeze. Beautiful ship. Have also done the Dream, Liberty, Glory and Sensation. Have done 4 with RC and 1 with Disney (didn't like at all). We are looking to try a different cruiseline, but can 't seem to fine answers to our questions and was hoping you could help. Thinking of the new Norgweigan Getaway for next summer which won't be ready to sail until next year. Our family is REALLY impressed with the number of "complimentary" dining choices on Carnival and fear the NC won't be the same. Seems like the only complimentary dining that NC has is the main dining rooms and the buffet. Is that it? Carnival Dream & Breeze has in addition the BBQ, the Mongolian wok, the deli, the soup & salad at the Taste Bar, the pizzeria, the indian food, the Guys Burger Joint, the pasta bar restaurant and the taco/Burrito section. All complimentary included in the price. They also have 24 hour ice cream and open up grills late at night on deck at 11pm. There's just so much to choose from. From what I can see all the choices on NC are extra charge......is this correct?

Also....what kind of activities do they have aside of the shows and waterpark? We are big on the trivia games that carnival does. Do they have a big screen movie theater on deck? Do they have movies at all? Are they complimentary or extra money?

What about beverages. I know carnival provides round the clock lemonade, iced tea, milk, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. RC only provides water outside of dining hours. What is NC like when it comes to beverages? Also, do they have the soda card like carnival has where you can pay 1 price and have unlimited soda throughout the week?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. -Suzanne

NCL does offer a soda card, plus the beverage choices listed in the PP. They have a lot of activities going on all day long, and also have bbq's on the pool deck every day. ETA - NCL has just as many free dining venues and shows as other lines, but has more pay options than other lines. The pay options tend to be less expensive than other line's pay options for the same quality.

Archived