Freedom of the Sea Upgrades?

I heard that Freedom was going to dry dock for a few months for some upgrades (poolside movie screen, cupcake shop, upgrade movie theatre to 3D) and the upgrades were to be completed in May. I haven't read or seen anything more about the upgrades. We are cruising on FOS the end of May and am curious. Anyone have an update?:cool:

Go to Royal Caribbean's website and type "Freedom of the Seas" in the search bar.

The page that pops up first has FAQ (about 4 questions) scroll pass them and you'll see "General". Under that click on Freedom of the Seas Puppet show After enhancement...

You will see details about the enhancements, which should be complete on March 27th.

Here's the list without details:

The Dream Works Experience

Britto Gallery

3D Movie Theater

Outdoor, poolside movie screen

Royal Babies and Tots Nursery

Imagine Ocean! Puppet Show

The Cupcake Cupboard

Chefmakers Cooking Academy

Vintages Wine Bar

Technology Enhancements

• 1 month later...

Sure hope they haven't messed with the fitness center, locker room, sauna area. That was one of our biggest complaints with Oasis. There's no real locker room for the fitness center any more and you have to pay to use the sauna and steam room. Worse yet, the sauna and steam room are small and sometimes weren't working very well.

I heard that Freedom was going to dry dock for a few months for some upgrades (poolside movie screen, cupcake shop, upgrade movie theatre to 3D) and the upgrades were to be completed in May. I haven't read or seen anything more about the upgrades. We are cruising on FOS the end of May and am curious. Anyone have an update?:cool:

Freedom has been in and out of the shipyard already! She just departed on her first cruise since the drydocking this past Sunday. Freedom spent one week in the shipyard as did Liberty. We're waiting to hear from those on board when they return next week!

Sailed the 27th? Hummm...On Sat March 26th the Freedom of the Seas was in Dry dock in Freeport and when we left at 5pm her props were still in the air and cranes still lined up around her. I saw her while I was on the Carnival Fantasy. Either way, I can prove it was in dry dock...saw the props and everything! LOL!

Sailed the 27th? Hummm...On Sat March 26th the Freedom of the Seas was in Dry dock in Freeport and when we left at 5pm her props were still in the air and cranes still lined up around her. I saw her while I was on the Carnival Fantasy. Either way, I can prove it was in dry dock...saw the props and everything! LOL!

Hmmmm? Many of us watched the Port Canaveral webcam as Freedom was departing on March 27th and a few others who where going on this cruise made comments about the ship and it's changes. Freedom arrived in Port Canaveral early in the morning on March 27th. You may have seen Freedom in drydock as they were finishing the work to undock later that evening. It's a very short transit overnight from Freeport to Port Canaveral.

Just watched the video on the enhancements to the Freedom of the Seas, very exciting! We will be sailing on her at the end of May and can't wait!

Does anyone know if any enhancements were made to the staterooms, in terms of carpeting, bedding, deck furniture, etc. As I understand it, replacement of "soft" goods is an on-going process, but wondering if the staterooms received any enhancements during dry-dock.

Happy Sailings

Nancy

Just watched the video on the enhancements to the Freedom of the Seas, very exciting! We will be sailing on her at the end of May and can't wait!

Does anyone know if any enhancements were made to the staterooms, in terms of carpeting, bedding, deck furniture, etc. As I understand it, replacement of "soft" goods is an on-going process, but wondering if the staterooms received any enhancements during dry-dock.

Happy Sailings

y'd

Nancy

Let's keep this thread active until early next week so that returning FOS cruisers can tell us about the enhancements and other dry dock improvements.

I am just back from FOS the week prior to dry dock. They had put up some "shrek" decor halfway through the cruise and the Shrek characters made surprise visits to the kids club. I think the Shrek characters also show up elsewhere through the ship but we only saw them in kids club. It was not pre-announced.

They were loading huge boxes of equipment by crane as we were leaving the port. Must have been those big screens! They were headed off to the bahamas later that day to install the improvements.

Can't wait to hear from others who have experienced the improvements!;)

Here is a video of the changes made on FOS during drydock:

http://www.royalcaribbeannationofwhynot.com/videos/freedom-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-revitalization They incorporate some of the Oasis/Allure features

Wow! Thanks Sherri!! :)

Loved the link and the video! Electronic mustering? Can we muster from our cabin on the interactive TV now? And do we need ketchup to go with it.... LOL ;) ;)

I am just back from FOS the week prior to dry dock. They had put up some "shrek" decor halfway through the cruise and the Shrek characters made surprise visits to the kids club. I think the Shrek characters also show up elsewhere through the ship but we only saw them in kids club. It was not pre-announced.

They were loading huge boxes of equipment by crane as we were leaving the port. Must have been those big screens! They were headed off to the bahamas later that day to install the improvements.

Can't wait to hear from others who have experienced the improvements!;)

Thanks for the info about what they were loading onto the ship.

Heard that folks saw Princess Fiona wandering around on your cruise -- the poster said she seemed a bit tentative as if she was getting into the character.

Wow! Thanks Sherri!! :)

Loved the link and the video! Electronic mustering? Can we muster from our cabin on the interactive TV now? And do we need ketchup to go with it.... LOL ;) ;)

That was too bad. I think we should post a thread about electronic mustering next week after the folks get back from FOS or if I find out anything from other sources, I will post it.

Sure hope they haven't messed with the fitness center, locker room, sauna area. That was one of our biggest complaints with Oasis. There's no real locker room for the fitness center any more and you have to pay to use the sauna and steam room. Worse yet, the sauna and steam room are small and sometimes weren't working very well.

Arrgh, didn't want to hear that, I did enjoy those areas on the Voyager and Freedom class, and ok I expect if you have to pay for sauna and steam to find they are a premium experience.

That was too bad. I think we should post a thread about electronic mustering next week after the folks get back from FOS or if I find out anything from other sources, I will post it.

That is what we always say..."if you don't muster...you will have to ketchup" :eek: ;)

Could not resist...the 12/11 discount was just too tempting for me. Just had to do it, you know!! Nice "over 6 month" Diamond balcony discount added to that "hot deal" ....you know it just had me like a moth to a flame! (As the DH rolls his eyes!!...harrummff...go figure!! ;) )

Booked and Mingle registered just half an hour ago!! :D :D

Archived