Ventura questions

amajaa

Hi Folks

I'm new here and am going on our very first cruise on Ventua in the summer :)

I have a few questions if anyone can kindly answer:-

Our check in time on our internet documents says 15.30 to 15.45. I'm a bit worried about that as the ship is supposed to sail at 16.30 :eek: Can we check in earlier or do we have to stick rigidly to our timeslot as I would really like to check in at lunch timish or just after? I'm also worried that the luggage won't make it in time if we check in at 15.30.

Has anyone clicked the Go Green on the internet? The only problem I had with that is you won't get sent the suitcase lables and it doesn't seem as if it would be the same with paper lables instead of the stiff company ones.

We have been put down for the early dinner at 6.30 but what about breakfast and lunch? Do you get set times for those as well (I'm thinking you must) as no one has mentioned that. What if you just want to go to the buffet for any of the meals some days, do you have to tell them or just not turn up?

P.S. My name isn't Susan and I'm not lazy lol, I just happened to have bought a new lazysusan and thought it sounded like a good name lol

Susan

Welcome to these boards, I hope that you enjoy your cruise, and feel free to ask any questions. There will probably be a Roll Call on this area http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=379

The answers to your questions are that you can arrive earlier and may have to queue, however you may have to queue anyway depending on circumstances.

The paper luggage labels work well, fold into 3 and either tape or staple them together for strength, they are ugly but work ok.

Only dinner has a set time, breakfast and lunch are open although the restaurants only open for a couple of hours max.

Hope this helps.:)

Thanks for info. I will Go Green then, it says you get your info about a month earlier which sounds good to me.

I assumed you would sit at the same table for breakfast and lunch but didn't know how it would work as presumably the people on the second dinner sitting would have the same places.

BTW we have booked a guaranteed balcony cabin so don't know our cabin yet. Is it a good idea to do that? (apart from the fact the travel agent said it was cheaper)

Thanks for info. I will Go Green then, it says you get your info about a month earlier which sounds good to me.

I assumed you would sit at the same table for breakfast and lunch but didn't know how it would work as presumably the people on the second dinner sitting would have the same places.

BTW we have booked a guaranteed balcony cabin so don't know our cabin yet. Is it a good idea to do that? (apart from the fact the travel agent said it was cheaper)

The waiters in the restaurants will seat you for lunch and breakfast, if you want to share you can or ask for a table for 2, I prefer to share. The guarantee is normally good as you will get at least the grade that you booked and may get an upgrade. It is cheaper which is a good thing as well. What you won't know is where on the ship your cabin will be, whether forward, midships or aft, nor which deck. It matters to some people.

Hi, LS...you don't have to go to your dining room at all- we normally go freedom dining, but on a very last minute booking, had to accept 2nd sitting. We went once, to explain to our table, and also to tip the waiters- who rely on the cash-the rest of the time we ate in all the speciality places, plus the Beach House ( which no-one knows about at first!) or at the themed buffet nights.

Jo.

Hi,

Dont press the GO GREEN button as you dont get the holiday information book or luggage labels. if you have pressed it you can phone P&O and get it reversed.

Check in opens at noon and you are checked in in order of arrival. Lunch is served on board. The time on your tickets is not important as long as you dont miss the ship.

If you are on fixed time dining, its common courtesy to let your fellow diners and waiters know if you are dining elsewhere.

Breakfast in the restaurant is normally 7:30-9:00 port days and 8:00-9:30 sea days. Lunch is normally 12:15-13:45. Afternoon tea 4-4:45pm. The times may vary if there is a port requiring a very early start. The self service restaurant is open virtually 24 hours.

Brian

Lazysusan

I have also had a guaranteed cabin, and since booking last week, my online info with P&O has changed to a cabin superior to the original allocation. (Balcony JG to JA grade) There is always the possibility of going further up the ladder at no additional expense.)

This will be my second cruise on Ventura and I am sure that you will not be disappointed

The upgrade sounds good, doubt we'll be as lucky mind. It's our first cruise so wouldn't know which cabin to pick anyway so the guaranteed cabin sounded a good idea.

Thanks for the tips about dinning everyone. I'm assuming that most of the other restaurant you have to pay a bit extra for, is that correct?

Tips were mentioned, I've been told P & O don't automatically take money off like some cruise lines do so what is the etiquette on tipping, do you do it as you go along or if you are in the same seat every evening, tip at the end?

The upgrade sounds good, doubt we'll be as lucky mind. It's our first cruise so wouldn't know which cabin to pick anyway so the guaranteed cabin sounded a good idea.

Thanks for the tips about dinning everyone. I'm assuming that most of the other restaurant you have to pay a bit extra for, is that correct?

Tips were mentioned, I've been told P & O don't automatically take money off like some cruise lines do so what is the etiquette on tipping, do you do it as you go along or if you are in the same seat every evening, tip at the end?

There is a tipping guide in your cabin, you tip at the end of the trip. Tips normally go to your two waiters, cabin steward and anyone else who has helped you. I normally give a few pounds to the Maitre D' and maybe barmen, but you don't need to do so. Can't help you about the other food outlets but someone else will, there is normally one restaurant with an extra charge, the others are all normally free.

Your fare includes all meals (breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, late night snacks) in either the main restaurants or Waterside/Beach House self service. Also in the the Beach House in the evening is an Grill type restaurant, which is waiter service and available on a first come/first served basis. The Waterside has a themed (i.e. Chinese, Indian, Italian etc) self service buffet each evening.

The restaurants which incur an extra charge are Marco Pierre Whites, East (Asian) and Ramblas (Spanish). There are sometimes reduced price offers if you go before 7pm. In Ramblas they do a Tapas, choice of any three items from the menu for £2.50.

Brian

PS You can see the menus here.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

The Beach house has some items that are a small extra but most are free

Hi Lazysusan, Ventura is a beautiful ship.

Check out the few tables at the aft pool for an al fresco buffet lunch on sea days. We always managed to get one as people come and go quickly.

You can get free pastries and cake at the Costa coffee shop on deck 5 (?) when you purchase a coffee or other drink.

You can also use room service free of charge for most items on the menu. Nominal fee after 11pm. Enjoy your tea and coffee making facilities in your cabin. I wish all the cruise lines would provide them. :)

We did Azura last spring and Ventura at Christmas. We preferred Ventura and as you can see from the countdown timers below are back on her in 2 months time.

You will really enjoy her. We tried the Marco Pierre White restaurant and it was very good. We thought it better than the equivalent 17 on Azura. We didnt try Ramblas however the menu looked good and the price was very cheap.

Hi Folks

I'm new here and am going on our very first cruise on Ventua in the summer :)

I have a few questions if anyone can kindly answer:-

Our check in time on our internet documents says 15.30 to 15.45. I'm a bit worried about that as the ship is supposed to sail at 16.30 :eek: Can we check in earlier or do we have to stick rigidly to our timeslot as I would really like to check in at lunch timish or just after? I'm also worried that the luggage won't make it in time if we check in at 15.30.

Has anyone clicked the Go Green on the internet? The only problem I had with that is you won't get sent the suitcase lables and it doesn't seem as if it would be the same with paper lables instead of the stiff company ones.

We have been put down for the early dinner at 6.30 but what about breakfast and lunch? Do you get set times for those as well (I'm thinking you must) as no one has mentioned that. What if you just want to go to the buffet for any of the meals some days, do you have to tell them or just not turn up?

P.S. My name isn't Susan and I'm not lazy lol, I just happened to have bought a new lazysusan and thought it sounded like a good name lol

Hi there

Just a thought re - luggage tags. If you have pressed "go green" and need to print out your luggage tags - Why not laminate them and then use zip ties to attach them ? It makes them much sturdier!

With regards to dining - I would definately recommend " East " and "The White Room" for a special evening meal ( they charge a supplement but it is well worth it!!!!) We also loved the beach house diner in the evenings - (no extra charge) just turn up and they will try to seat you . If they cannot seat you straight away then they will give you a pager and call you as soon as one is available!!!! Excellent food!!!

During the day we would go up to the buffet for breakfast - it can be really busy at peak times.( I don't know what time they start breakfast but I know they serve till quite late about 11 -11.30) It's usually best to find a seat before you get food.

A little tip - the waterside and beach house often only open on one side at a time . If you look for a table on the side which is open then tables are often scarce. Keep walking and on the closed side there are often tables available!!!

We used to go to the buffet for lunch , but since discovering the grill and pizzeria by the beachcomber pool i have to admit I often get my lunch there!!!!!!!! Can't resist the lovely chicken burgers and freshly made pizzas!!!! Yum i'm getting hungry thinking about it. It's also nice to eat outside too!!

Tbh we have never been to main dining room for breakfast or dinner as I don't think I would ever eat my evening meal if I did!!!!!!

Hth's

Sue

Thanks every one you have all been really helpful.

I haven't clicked the Go Green yet, so as far as I can see the pros are you get your documents a month earlier (or so they say, is that true?) and the cons are you don't get the brochure. Good idea about laminating the luggage lables.

Thanks every one you have all been really helpful.

I haven't clicked the Go Green yet, so as far as I can see the pros are you get your documents a month earlier (or so they say, is that true?) and the cons are you don't get the brochure. Good idea about laminating the luggage lables.

You can view all your excursions on line from around 12 weeks whether you have pressed GO GREEN or not, by just going to the cruise personalisor. If you dont press GO GREEN, you should get your holiday information book complete with personalised luggage lables six weeks before. The luggage lables are printed on material that is difficult to tear, are colour coded by deck and have your name and cabin number on them. Using the proper labels, rather than home printed ones, means there is less chance of your luggage going astray.

Brian

People are talking about the main dining rooms which are included in the price, I've looked at teh deck plans and concluded there must be 2 or 3 of these. Is that correct and what are they called.

Sorry for all the questions :D

There are three main restaurants. Saffron, Bay Tree and Cinnamon. Cinnamon is used for Freedom dining. The food and menu for dinner is the same in all, as is the dress code.

For breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea there may only be one or two of them open to suit demand. Seating is free seating for these, i.e you just turn up and are shown to a vacant table.

The self service restaurants, Waterside and Beach House are open almost 24hours but maybe only a small section open at quiet times.

Keep your questions coming.

Brian

Hi Brian, it was just a reference number next to my name and a different one next to my husband's saying portunus number. So if you get points per night when are they added and what do you use them for? Am I therefore correct in assuming that this sme number will be used on future cruises then?

I see also there is a mention of Porunus Club on the website, what's that?

Hi Brian, it was just a reference number next to my name and a different one next to my husband's saying portunus number. So if you get points per night when are they added and what do you use them for? Am I therefore correct in assuming that this sme number will be used on future cruises then?

That number is your Portunis Club membership and previous passenger number. It will be used on all future bookings to ensure that your account gets credited with 10 points each night. the points have no use other than marking your movement through the various tiers on membership, each tier has its' own benefits. I suggest that you Google Portunis Club to see what they are.

Its basically a loyalty programme. The number of points give you various benefits. The basic level gives you 5% off your on board spend. Details can be found here

http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Experience/newLoyalty/

The Portunus is changing to Peninsular in April 2012 with slightly different benefits.

Normally you dont need to do anything as your Portunus number gets picked up automatically when you book so you may only need it when there is a problem

Brian

Archived