Classical music on Equinox?

Waswo

I am booked for March 11th with a friend and she is freaking out that there will be no source of classical music on the Equinox. I have sworn to her that in EVERY CRUISE I have been on there has been at least a string quartet and/or a classical pianist available daily.

Is there anyone who can tell me about daily music--especially classical--on the Equinox? I have seen some Daily Programs but I cannot figure out how to enlarge them on my computer.

Please help! She is getting frantic and belligerant.

It's been a while since I've seen real classical music on Celebrity. They used to have the string quartet in the MDR during dinner, but I think they stopped that a while ago. They even stopped the harpist in the specialty restaurants. They may bring on a pianist who will play in the theater a couple times a week. They now focus on a quartet of singers who sing in different venues. But as far as true classical music, it's hit or miss.

On my last 3 Celebrity cruises (including the Eclipse 4 weeks ago) they had a string quartet playing each night around the ship. They were always young and talented Ukrainian and Russian women. They also will take requests. On my last cruise though, they played lots of songs by the Beatles rather than true classics.

We were just on the 2/7/11 sailing of the Equinox and there was a string quartet that played almost every day for at least an hour in various venues throughout the ship. They weren't particularly good, but they were there. That was really the only classical music to be had, though, unless one of the pianists did classical stuff at some point (we never went to any of the piano events). My husband and I are opera singers and we both remarked that it would have been nice to have more (and better) classical music on the ship, but most people aren't as into it as we are!

We were on the same cruise as Alsmez and, although we observed the string quartet playing, we did not stay long enough to really evaluate their skills. Not that we have such musical ability, anyway :rolleyes:. The piano player in Michael's Club seemed very talented to us, but she played mostly show tunes and pop music. There was a fabulous jazz quartet (Les De Merle) in the Ensemble Lounge, however. Don't know if that will make your friend happy, but at least they were good :D

Sheila

Thank you to everyone for your responses. It gives me something to tell my friend. I fear that she wants the Equinox to feature the finest attributes of the Metropolitan Opera, the Louvre, the finest French restaurants, and probably would like a cobble-stoned replica of a Medieval village and a guy who looks like Abraham Lincoln strolling around repeating the Gettysburg Address. She also is fearful that the ship's library will not compete with the Library of Congress.

I am looking forward to this trip and plan to have a wonderful time myself, but I fear that my friend expects a dizzying experience of both sensual luxury and intellectual stimulation! She, too, will have a good time against her own better judgement!

Thank you for humoring me.

There was a fabulous jazz quartet (Les De Merle) in the Ensemble Lounge, however. Don't know if that will make your friend happy, but at least they were good :D
They were good, but unfortunately they left Equinox on 2/28. :cool:

The strings playing on the 1/28 Equinox cruise were very bad...tempo lacking & out of tune..painful to the ear..

we have only seen one outstanding group recently.. on Summit to Bermuda in Sept... they were so good that seats filled quickly in the Cova area & they scheduled them for a concert on board ..BRAVO!

Hope you willl be lucky --

I too miss the harpists!

Waso - Your friend sounds like my sister. On a HAL cruise a couple of years ago, she professed that there was no food on the ship to suit her. :eek:

The best classical music that we have ever heard on a ship was on the Princess Coral through the Panama Canal. All of our cruises have had a good trio of musicians.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. It gives me something to tell my friend. I fear that she wants the Equinox to feature the finest attributes of the Metropolitan Opera, the Louvre, the finest French restaurants, and probably would like a cobble-stoned replica of a Medieval village and a guy who looks like Abraham Lincoln strolling around repeating the Gettysburg Address. She also is fearful that the ship's library will not compete with the Library of Congress.

I am looking forward to this trip and plan to have a wonderful time myself, but I fear that my friend expects a dizzying experience of both sensual luxury and intellectual stimulation! She, too, will have a good time against her own better judgement!

Thank you for humoring me.

And you agreed to travel with her because???????????

Sounds like you will need a vacation after your vacation! :D:D:D

Archived