All things EARTH...

Attached is a photo of a black and coral dress I have, that I bought for the style and fit without considering the color at all, other than that it was dramatic and I liked it. But these colors are too bright and clear for an EARTH (experts please weigh in here, I think this is ICE maybe?). If you go with coral, it should be a muted color, and then you have to wonder if it is going to stand up to the black. JMHO

Why not a gold shrug with gold jewelry? I think gold and black are very elegant together.

I'm still trying to figure out this 'color thing' and where I fit in the spectrum. I am VERY drawn to this dress and the colors in it. Does this mean I'm whatever this color combo is? Are you instinctively drawn to the colors that best represent you?

I'm still trying to figure out this 'color thing' and where I fit in the spectrum. I am VERY drawn to this dress and the colors in it. Does this mean I'm whatever this color combo is? Are you instinctively drawn to the colors that best represent you?

I would chime in here and say... not really! In fact, even though I know my color palette, I still struggle with being drawn to an outfit or a pretty dress or a particular color that I think is beautiful.... completely out of my palette.

For example, I don't know if it's the nautical love in me... a cruiser, after all... but I love the look of a crisp, white capri with a nautical top in stripes of red or stripes of blue. This look just doesn't have the same jaunty feeling if the pants aren't that crisp white and contrast so remarkably with the depth of color in the top... to my eye.

I still love the look of black and gold together.. just beautiful.

So, I just have to love the way those outfits work for people who can wear them and understand that I don't want to look like a mannequin. kwim? Beautiful outfit, but washed out features and uneven skin tone!

I did talk myself into a pair of pretty white cargo/capri pants that have gorgeous gold accents. Thought they would be appropriate and acceptable and convinced my FIRE sisters (AND Anita!) that the purchase was remarkably logical. The capris also came in a color called Sand, which is a golden light tan. The pictures of that trip told an interesting story; the sand color worked!... and the white did NOT. Even in the bottoms. Moral of the story: Anita now has those white pants so she can do an experiment and see how they look after being tea-stained. Oh well.

When I first started trying to wear my colors, it was a struggle to feel like the color wasn't TOO bright. Now, it's a struggle to feel like the color isn't TOO muted! There is a huge learning curve to all of this, not the least of which is learning to educate your eye so that you see what IS rather than what you WISH. That's why the camera is such a wonderful, objective tool. IMO.

I also tried to make tops "work" by trying to pair with outergarments and/or accessories to BRIGHTEN up the color... didn't work. The problem is that the neckline color makes such a strong impression on your skin that it absolutely defeats all attempts to alter its influence(s). I have a gorgeous formal outfit that is black... it's fun to wear... and I still LOVE it. But, sadly... the only thing that I can do when I wear that outfit is to realize that I won't be looking my very BEST and I need to really pay attention to my eye makeup so that I can compensate... a little bit... for what the color is doing TO me instead of FOR me.

I've only been doing this for a couple of years. I've learned quite a lot... but feel like I have quite a bit more knowledge to gain.

There are some good posts going on here. One of the "rules" I have tried to make for myself is that if I'm looking to wear something that is not an earth shade, it can't go near my face. If I wear those black pants, then positively, absolutely...the top has to be a strong autumn.

Pants and skirts, dresses, and jackets (blazers) are always tough. I can find plenty of tops in earth tones. If you see any of these things in an earth tone, don't wait too long to buy it and find out it's gone.

Once your wardrobe starts to build up earth tones, it is so easy to mix and match.

With some of my pictures, the brown doesn't show properly. I guess it's because darker colors absorb light. I do my best to make sure the brown is right, but I admit to having a lot of pants that are a cool brown. I am doing my best to avoid them. Once again, the color is not near my face.

DivasDare, I have always felt that our dress code at work serves it's purpose. You can easily express your individuality and conform with the dress code.

I went to that blog also. She has great taste, and fun clothes. She is giving me the impression she may be an earth. When she shows some of the warmer clothing, it just seems to be ideal for her.

I went to that blog also. She has great taste, and fun clothes. She is giving me the impression she may be an earth. When she shows some of the warmer clothing, it just seems to be ideal for her.

You know when I went back after posting the link I wondered if she was an "earth". Good example if so. Thanks

DarkGreen.jpg

I'm waiting for my color cards to come in. Does this look like an earth green to you? I know a good base color is forest green, and this looks like it may be right.

I wore this color for 12 years in Catholic school, and I burned every bit of it when I graduated. Still can't wear it, no matter how good it looks on me. I have some green in my closet but usually an olive or a lighter green. BTW love that rust colored dress even more after seeing it on you. I wish I had a Penneys near me.

I agree with Pam, I'm often drawn to colors that aren't good for me. There are a lot of competing interests when we look at clothes, and color isn't always high on the list unless we make it a priority. For example, I should probably replace my black suit when I need to with a blue one, but I can't help feeling like a stewardess in a blue suit. :) Not a good reason to make a color choice, I know, but clothing choices are so personal. I am trying to shop with a better filter, and it is amazing how quickly you can get through a store to what you want by training your eye to look for color first.

All these FIRE colors in the store sure are appealing, though, when the sun is shining!

I just wanted to add that I LOVE the brown&coral travel wardrobe from last week, and I think the brown&tangerine would work beautifully with pumpkin instead. So inspiring! I also like the brown&turquoise combo but I find it so hard to find a muted version of turquoise, if it even exists. Any suggestions?

OMG.

So today I had (had!) every intention of doing those down and dirty, nitty gritty things that you always put off until forever.

Then, I decided that I would check out the Vivienne Files and see what was up... because I had checked them out so long ago and just wasn't in the right frame of mind to really pay attention and get anything from the postings... but NOW... she's PACKING... and showing how she's wearing her suitcase throughout her vacation.

Again, OMG...

I just blew my to-do list! This looks like such a fabulous source of inspiration!

You know, I can outline the path that I've taken on getting my closet to its current condition.

Step 1. CJW told me that I was a FIRE and I was loaded with Chico's Travelers outfits in black and white! Unbelievable. I'd spent the better part of a couple of years "collecting" those fabrics so I could do the typical black/white wardrobe packing for long European vacations. Now I can understand why I took such lousy pictures and got to the point where I just didn't want the camera pointed in my direction. The beginning of my transformation! Got rid of all the tops that were black/white and kept all the bottoms.

Step 2. Going shopping! Since I had a plethora of black bottoms (and we all KNOW that black goes with everything, right? :rolleyes:), I spent my time looking just looking for my colors. I didn't care what it was that I found! It just became... OMG; it's my COLOR! So, I ended up with a rainbow of tops (mostly from Chico's) and a bunch of black bottoms!

Step 3. I became more obsessed with doing a color coordination because I wanted to have more outfits, rather than just dressing like a rainbow. So, I hunted for neutral bottoms. Hit and misses.

Step 4. Zumba, baby! Starting shrinking out of my clothes and running into some serious clothing issues. Now I'm dressing mostly in exercise clothes and trying to find outfits for vacation wear. My last few cruises have all been warm weather, Caribbean cruises so I don't have that intense coordination effort of a European style vacation. So I tried to find some sundresses; some appropriate tops; some neutrals. But I haven't had an overall plan. It's been mainly a dress here and there... for formal nights... a great pair of pants that will team up with my tops... and trying to figure out accessories that will make the top/bottom pairing into an "outfit."

So, now, what I have in my closet are 3 pairs of pants that fit me (and make my butt look FIERCE). And still a bunch of tops from either Chico's or Cache. The tops are brilliant... beautiful... but not really coordinated. For example, I have a beautiful, bright yellow top in a color that only a FIRE can wear! And I have some other tops that I would put into that type of category... one off.. stand alone... what to do?

Anyway, here I am posting on Anita's thread... LOL... but I know that my FIRE sisters are over here as well, and this topic is something that we both kind of struggle with. So thank you for bringing up Vivienne again! I didn't really want to clean my kitchen anyway.....

OMG.

So today I had (had!) every intention of doing those down and dirty, nitty gritty things that you always put off until forever.

Then, I decided that I would check out the Vivienne Files and see what was up... because I had checked them out so long ago and just wasn't in the right frame of mind to really pay attention and get anything from the postings... but NOW... she's PACKING... and showing how she's wearing her suitcase throughout her vacation.

Again, OMG...

I just blew my to-do list! This looks like such a fabulous source of inspiration!

You know, I can outline the path that I've taken on getting my closet to its current condition.

Step 1. CJW told me that I was a FIRE and I was loaded with Chico's Travelers outfits in black and white! Unbelievable. I'd spent the better part of a couple of years "collecting" those fabrics so I could do the typical black/white wardrobe packing for long European vacations. Now I can understand why I took such lousy pictures and got to the point where I just didn't want the camera pointed in my direction. The beginning of my transformation! Got rid of all the tops that were black/white and kept all the bottoms.

Step 2. Going shopping! Since I had a plethora of black bottoms (and we all KNOW that black goes with everything, right? :rolleyes:), I spent my time looking just looking for my colors. I didn't care what it was that I found! It just became... OMG; it's my COLOR! So, I ended up with a rainbow of tops (mostly from Chico's) and a bunch of black bottoms!

Step 3. I became more obsessed with doing a color coordination because I wanted to have more outfits, rather than just dressing like a rainbow. So, I hunted for neutral bottoms. Hit and misses.

Step 4. Zumba, baby! Starting shrinking out of my clothes and running into some serious clothing issues. Now I'm dressing mostly in exercise clothes and trying to find outfits for vacation wear. My last few cruises have all been warm weather, Caribbean cruises so I don't have that intense coordination effort of a European style vacation. So I tried to find some sundresses; some appropriate tops; some neutrals. But I haven't had an overall plan. It's been mainly a dress here and there... for formal nights... a great pair of pants that will team up with my tops... and trying to figure out accessories that will make the top/bottom pairing into an "outfit."

So, now, what I have in my closet are 3 pairs of pants that fit me (and make my butt look FIERCE). And still a bunch of tops from either Chico's or Cache. The tops are brilliant... beautiful... but not really coordinated. For example, I have a beautiful, bright yellow top in a color that only a FIRE can wear! And I have some other tops that I would put into that type of category... one off.. stand alone... what to do?

Anyway, here I am posting on Anita's thread... LOL... but I know that my FIRE sisters are over here as well, and this topic is something that we both kind of struggle with. So thank you for bringing up Vivienne again! I didn't really want to clean my kitchen anyway.....[/quote

I'm with you. I have a totally unexpected day off from work (BONUS!) and I should be productive, but I'd much rather read Cruise Critic. Now back to the topic... I really must figure out what I am. Is there a GREAT thread like this for every color 'option'?

I'm with you. I have a totally unexpected day off from work (BONUS!) and I should be productive' date=' but I'd much rather read Cruise Critic. Now back to the topic... I really must figure out what I am. Is there a GREAT thread like this for every color 'option'?[/color']

Hello!

No. But there is a great thread for FIRE ladies at this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280510

We have quite a bit of fun over there. As you may have figured out, but to point it out specifically, I am Anita's Mom. So that's why we have quite a bit of back and forth between the FIRE and EARTH threads. It's interesting that a FIRE Mom had an EARTH daughter, don't you think?

Apparently, the ICE and AIR ladies just don't have the same issues that we do in finding clothing :mad: OR they just aren't as chatty! :D Anyway, an after thread to the Seasons thread just never got started for those two seasons.

I really do enjoy this thread. Member123 (Anita's Mom!) I love reading your posts. I think you gave a great synopsis earlier....this is a journey. I don't think anyone just finds out they're an air, ice, earth or fire and then throws everything out, gets a new wardrobe the next day, and lives happlily ever after. I started very similarly, by getting the right colors next to my face first. I currently have one pair of black pants, and one pair of black shoes. They are not a staple of my wardrobe. It really takes time.

One of my biggest issues is that I tend to see brown and say "I can wear that" and buy it. I currently have various shades of brown pants that are too cool. There is some trial and error involved. I am very interested in figuring out blue and purple next, and some of the reds.

Most reds I see are ice. There have been some really good fire reds lately here and there. There doesn't seem to be a lot for ice or earth. I am definitely partial to red.

Any of you earth ladies with color cards...how is that green I posted?

I really do enjoy this thread. Member123 (Anita's Mom!) I love reading your posts. I think you gave a great synopsis earlier....this is a journey. I don't think anyone just finds out they're an air, ice, earth or fire and then throws everything out, gets a new wardrobe the next day, and lives happlily ever after. I started very similarly, by getting the right colors next to my face first. I currently have one pair of black pants, and one pair of black shoes. They are not a staple of my wardrobe. It really takes time.

One of my biggest issues is that I tend to see brown and say "I can wear that" and buy it. I currently have various shades of brown pants that are too cool. There is some trial and error involved. I am very interested in figuring out blue and purple next, and some of the reds.

Most reds I see are ice. There have been some really good fire reds lately here and there. There doesn't seem to be a lot for ice or earth. I am definitely partial to red.

Any of you earth ladies with color cards...how is that green I posted?

I agree, I learn so much from everyone's posts, both here and on the FIRE thread. And the process does take time... I'm starting to wear my spring/summer clothes and I realize I have to go through everything just like I did my winter wardrobe, weed things out, and then go shopping, and make some mistakes, and go shopping again.... I find that if I spend that kind of time to choose clothes that I truly like and that really look good on me, then I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality and longevity and have fewer things. As I said back in January, I find that I wear the same things over and over, so why are those other things hanging in my closet?

If you experiment with red, I hope you do pictures. We have similar hair color and I would like to learn along with you. I have been avoiding red for a while because I don't know what might work, except for the rust color on that cute dress you have. In the past I've always been drawn to ICE reds, I realize, especially accessories.

Anita's mom, I'm glad you enjoy Vivienne Files too. I'm a compulsive packer so I love any tips I can get on traveling with a carefully chosen wardrobe. We've rarely traveled more than 7-10 days at a time, but when we do we quickly realize that it is not possible to pack for each day: a mix-and-match wardrobe is a necessity and a variety of accessories is your best friend. My dream is to take a 30 day cruise -- just to have that much vacation time would be wonderful!

Also, snaps to you on shrinking out of your clothes! It's inspiring.

Hello All!

I enjoy this thread too, maybe because I'm a 'chatty' person myself??? :D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm not either Earth or Fire, but I'm just guessing. I have dark hair (naturally) although @ 50 I've had to 'alter it' a little here and there. <grin> I have hazel eyes and I THINK a 'yellow' undertone to my skin. Did Y'all do the online color analysis with Curt I read about on another thread? My biggest dilemia is taking the pictures. On my BEST day I look horrid in pictures. I can only imagine what a make-up-less version of me will look like. <shudder> One other question. Does it have to be a recent picture? Does you change as you age or is it 'once a Fire - always a Fire' kind of thing?

Good afternoon everyone!

When Mom was here, I tried on an AMAZINGLY fun dress...in the store, the color was seriously ORANGE-RED...and it looked fabulous on...but I'd have to see it in natural light to be completely confident. But here is another dress that I wouldn't mind owning:

O5050J07704475_60.jpg

http://www.cache.com/detail/cherry-red-pointed-hem-dress/O5050J07704475/60

This dress SCREAMED to go dancing...the black shoes are HORRIBLE...and I am just so surprised at how this dress looks online...ANYWAY...I'm watching this dress for a SALE!;)

on SALE today! FYI! Don't know what size would be appropriate. What do you think? Does this dress NEED to go dancing in the Caribbean? Next year?

Don't you love it when you find something you like, and then you end up getting a deal on it? That is the way I felt about the rust/earth red dress.

I might just take the risk and order a dress in the green shown in one of my previous posts. They have a lighter green I like also, I just can't tell from the online picture if it's muted enough.

I found these super cute sandals at Marshall yesterday. They were marked down to $23.00, and look very earthy! I will have to post a picture later on.

When I was in Target this morning I found two very earth-y scarves that would be good to add some color to basic outfits.

One was on clearance for about $11 and the other $15...the $11 one was mostly a sort of green and lt tan animal type print with a gold metallic thread in it. The $15 one was browns, greens, tan and a sort of coral floral type.

Anyway if you happen to be in Target check them out.

I didn't have my camera or I would have taken pictures LOL

@Laurie...I have such a hard time with colors online...really I do...if you look at the way that red looks in the dress I just ordered...it looks so WRONG...I'm praying that the lighting in the store was true enough that the dress really is as flattering at home as in the store...Mom, Dad AND myself all thought so in the store...but I've purchased things in the store only to have them be a totally different color than I originally thought them to be once I got them into natural light.

You just have to take a chance on that green...my opinion is that it isn't FIRE...LOL!! I believe it's muted...but it COULD be a jewel tone...and even if it is muted...it COULD be AIR...you just won't know what the color is IRL until you see it IRL.

@Cooki...those scarves you found sound just like some that I recently bought at Kohl's.

Why do we hang to clothing that doesn't work any more? Seriously? I can't believe what I put on this morning...but I have some workout clothing (I wear a lot of work out clothing)...anyway...the shorts are black...they are way too big...they balloon over my rear end and look absolutely ridiculous...they are even getting uncomfortable with all the excess fabric even though the draw string means they "work" and don't fall down...I should totally get rid of these two pairs I have...and yet...I keep wearing them over and over again. What's up with that?

I've decided that I am going to remove some items like these from my bedroom...away from my normal access points for clothing...and see what happens...what in the world would I chose to wear if these shorts weren't an option for me?

Anyone else have random clothing like this that you continue to wear even though you KNOW that it isn't flattering in ANY way?

Anyway if you happen to be in Target check them out.

I didn't have my camera or I would have taken pictures LOL

I wish I had my camera sometimes too. I'm still so old school in my thinking, I forget that I can use my phone. :)

If you get the scarves, please take pix. My Target is far away, so I have to really want to go there.

I've decided that I am going to remove some items like these from my bedroom...away from my normal access points for clothing...and see what happens...what in the world would I chose to wear if these shorts weren't an option for me?

Anyone else have random clothing like this that you continue to wear even though you KNOW that it isn't flattering in ANY way?

I'm a poster child for this, and I notice that it really affects my mood for the day because I know I could look better. Part of it is just the time it takes to revamp a wardrobe, and part is just grabbing the familiar because I'm in a rush or because I don't feel like thinking about clothes that day. Putting it another place is a great idea, I'll have to try that.

Margaret...I am very old school as my phone can take pictures but I have no idea how to send them to my computer as I have a very basic phone! LOL

I may go back and get the green/tan one but I am going to watch and see if they discount it more...I want it to be at least 50% off before I buy! LOL

Anita, I agree that buying online is always a risk. I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for in my price range in the stores.

I know a lot of people don't approve, but I really like lightinthebox.com. Yes, the dresses are made in China. If we venture a look at some of the tags on things in our closet, we will find that a lot of that is as well. What I like is being able to order a variety in sizes, as well as the option of custom fit, and lots of colors. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of earth colors on the site.

I have two colors I am currently considering in other dresses as well as the green I posted. I will post them coming up. I have it in my mind that I would love to find a dark forest green, and it is so hard to do. The color I posted was the closest I've found, and I was hoping someone could convince me that it is an earth color. I would have to say it is probably ice. I can't say air, it would look awful on my husband!

Here are some colors I am currently looking at:

olive.jpg

brown.jpg

Margaret...I am very old school as my phone can take pictures but I have no idea how to send them to my computer as I have a very basic phone! LOL

I may go back and get the green/tan one but I am going to watch and see if they discount it more...I want it to be at least 50% off before I buy! LOL

I like to wait for the sales too. The only thing I'm willing to pay full price for are my shoes, because I'm a 7 and if I wait they are gone. :)

Here are some colors I am currently looking at:

olive.jpg

brown.jpg

Both of those are beautiful, but I think the first one is more in the spirit of the original green you showed us, if that makes any difference.

Anita's mom made an interesting comment about contrast in the FIRE thread, do you think we can get her to repeat it here? I found it thought-provoking now that we are entering into the warmer months when we want to wear lighter colors.

I think one of my issues is that when I look at a color, I try to decide if it is a clear warm color, or muted. My daughter is a fire, and I am constantly trying to decide if a color is muted or not when I see it. Sometimes, it's that fine line....

I think I am struggling a bit.

On the topic of phone cameras, I was at a local mall today with my daughter. I decided I would use my camera if I saw anything that looked earthy to me. It turns out that there is very little left in this mall, and with the stores that were there, I didn't really see anything earth. Maybe I'm having the same trouble in person as I have online?