All things EARTH...

Yay; I found Margaret's post with the new Pantone color announcement!

Thanks for posting this.

I REALLY hope that isn't a Cool brownish color. i'm afraid it might not work for us :(.

Hope I'm wrong. I seem to latch onto clothing in a brown that doesn't work for me.

I even had to return a great cruise gown purchase because it was the wrong brown. I may have even posted it on this thread ----WAY back...but more likely on the original "Seasons" thread.

Jane

Jane...I think that brown does look cool...I found this about the new colors:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204136404577211251024828324.html#project%3DPANTONE020912%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

We'll have to see what happens with the different dye lots and all...but that brown is looking more mousy than chocolaty to me. Honey Gold seems to be the most promising EARTH color...Tangerine Tango looks like it could be seriously bright...but again...maybe some dye lots will be more muted...the great news is that if anyone has already been collecting orange and red/orange...it'll look on trend.

And that's a great point...the thing to watch for with these new "it" colors is the combinations of colors. I haven't seen the runways, and I suppose I could study them, but it's the combinations of colors that can make you look like your are with it fashion wise or not...

For example...it should be "on trend" to wear whatever red/orange we have with whatever dark, dark, chocolate brown we have and then find a scarf or other accent that incorporates yellow/green and/or teal...I think this is the advantage to knowing what colors are around...you can think about combining your colors in a new way.

I organize my closet by color in order of the rainbow ROYGBIV, roughly, with black on one side and brown on the other. Within each color it goes from tank top to jacket, so generally the summer clothes are on the left and they get heavier as I move right. My sister thinks I am totally compulsive, but then she's a disorganized mess.

My closet is similar, organized by rainbows...but I segregate my different items...sleeveless, then short sleeved, then long, then jackets. Skirts, pants, dresses on the tall hanging space. I can't remember how I used to organize my closet. One of my best friends in college organized her clothing this way and I remember being so impressed...I have done this now, ever since. Since I am in charge of laundry...I do the same thing to DH's and DS's closets.

...if I wear a skirt I'm also wearing heels, so then I need to consider how much time I'll be on my feet that day, whether I have errands to run after work, how my knees are feeling, will the weather be bad/cold/wet, where are the darn pantyhose? In fact, I think am just out of the habit of wearing skirts in winter, though I wear them in summer all the time, and I enjoy skirts.

Do you like the look of skirts with boots? Then you could be more like a tights and boots kind of look which could be way more comfortable than hose and heels. Not all boots are equal; you can get some very nice looking boots, even with a low heel. Not all tights are equal either. I'd have to refresh my memory, but I've been reading Nina Garcia's little books on fashion...and she has a definite favorite brand of tights that she says lasts forever and is of great quality...and one of her criteria is that the opaqueness of the tights is consistent...with no change in the appearance of the color based on the stretch of the tights...something that I have had trouble with in the past.

I totally understand that you are coming from a place of support: posting the pictures is all about getting honest feedback, and I value it.

Four more next week!

Oooo...looking forward to more pics!! LOVE pics!!

Anita,

I really agree that the Honey Gold has the best Earth potential! Curt helped me choose my MOB by suggesting that I wouldn't be able to go wrong with any shade of gold. :)

2i9h7p5.jpg

That's me as MOB holding the bride's bouquet.

Hair color is 8G with strawberry blonde highlights :)

Jane

I've been away for a long time, dealing with all the stuff that life can throw at us, but I'm back, ready to cruise again (in May) and talk fashion (anytime).

You guys are doing such an awesome job. It's so much fun peeking into your closets, and Jane, you really look wonderful in your mother of the bride dress.

I've been doing a good job of buying Earth tones, but it's easy to do in the fall and winter. My problem is planning for this upcoming cruise. I'm seeing lots of blacks, whites, reds, and clear blues in the stores, but very little in our color family.

I would love some recommendations and or links for clothes to wear on my upcoming 7-day cruise to Mexico and Jamaica. I'm pretty much starting from scratch since I've lost just enough weight to need a new wardrobe.

Edited by DBMiller

I've been away for a long time, dealing with all the stuff that life can throw at us, but I'm back, ready to cruise again (in May) and talk fashion (anytime).

You guys are doing such an awesome job. It's so much fun peeking into your closets, and Jane, you really look wonderful in your mother of the bride dress.

I've been doing a good job of buying Earth tones, but it's easy to do in the fall and winter. My problem is planning for this upcoming cruise. I'm seeing lots of blacks, whites, reds, and clear blues in the stores, but very little in our color family.

I would love some recommendations and or links for clothes to wear on my upcoming 7-day cruise to Mexico and Jamaica. I'm pretty much starting from scratch since I've lost just enough weight to need a new wardrobe.

It HAS been a long while! Welcome to our discussion over here. :)

I understand the hardship of trying to find EARTH colors for spring and summer. So difficult to do...because you have to get away from the colors that are too associated with the actual seasons Autumn and Winter. I was in Target yesterday looking at simple shirts...I seriously lack short sleeved shirts...and I know that I like to wear them more when I am spending more time outdoors to help protect my shoulders...

Anyway...I couldn't tell in the horrible lighting if the yellow and coral colors that are all over the store were EARTH or not. For me, this has been what I start looking for though...the corals instead of the rusts...yellow...

What clothes do you need? I'm not even going for Spring colors on my cruise next month for some things...I wearing a chocolate brown dress and a plum colored dress for formal nights. I'm still in the process of figuring the rest out. I need to get crackin' because the cruise is right around the corner!:eek:

What do I need? That's a good question. :-)

For daytime, I'll need an assortment of casual tops, capris (unless, I lose a lot more weight, I won't be wearing shorts), casual pants, a swimsuit, a coverup, and some type of jacket/sweater for cooler evenings. A couple of dressier outfits for evening, and at least one dress for formal night. Phew! And, my husband thought the cruise costs added up.

I'm pretty classic in terms of style, though I love funky shoes, jewelry and scarves.

OMG...I never posted...

JANE!!! WOW! You are drop dead gorgeous!

Thanks for the sweet compliment, Anita! I swear part of the look was insane happiness :)

I found a cardigan in Target yesterday which really seems to blend with my "control" Men's Target t-shirt (from the original Seasons thread). They're both Merona. The color name for the cardi is "coral", for what that's worth. (The T-shirt was just called "orange", if I remember correctly. Check it out if you think of it next time you're in Target. (tag price is $19.99) I left the tags on to do a photo test, but the lighting is terrible here today.

Jane

Thanks for the sweet compliment, Anita! I swear part of the look was insane happiness :)

I found a cardigan in Target yesterday which really seems to blend with my "control" Men's Target t-shirt (from the original Seasons thread). They're both Merona. The color name for the cardi is "coral", for what that's worth. (The T-shirt was just called "orange", if I remember correctly. Check it out if you think of it next time you're in Target. (tag price is $19.99) I left the tags on to do a photo test, but the lighting is terrible here today.

Jane

Here's a photo of the "coral" cardi (with the Control Tshirt in foreground)

35hfot1.jpg

Here's a poor lighting pic of me in the cardi (playing with an awesome scarf gift ) :)

(Inspired by Anita to play with scarf tying after watching videos)

i26jc3.jpg

This shows my skin reacting (in poor lighting) to the cardi:

inv09s.jpg

Jane

Jane...I saw that color. There was a ton of it. In the store, I couldn't decide if it was warm or cool...it had a tone to it that me want to call the color "watermelon," if I had to name it...I bought a dress that had a similar color in it and the color ended up being AIR...these photos are hard to analyze, but you can see how the cardigan color is just that much different from the shirt in the last photo...maybe I'm too tired, but I still can't tell from these photos if that Target color is a WIN or not. The shirt is...and that could be affecting the way you wear the Target color.

Anita,

I really agree that the Honey Gold has the best Earth potential! Curt helped me choose my MOB by suggesting that I wouldn't be able to go wrong with any shade of gold. :)

2i9h7p5.jpg

That's me as MOB holding the bride's bouquet.

Hair color is 8G with strawberry blonde highlights :)

Jane

Jane,

You look FAB! Even your necklace looks perfect with your dress! You have the whole package.

I just bought this tshirt at Coldwater Creek:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/60561/67150/perfect-pima-tee.aspx?colorid=F37&refLink=knit-tops-and-tees.aspx

I chose two colors, deep loden and canary yellow. They're having a sale, buy one full price get one half off. I'm seeing a lot of bright clear yellow in the stores here for spring, and this yellow is more golden and buttery. I like a wide round neck on my t's, it balances my bust and looks nice with jewelry. :)

They had a lot of coral and green in the store, but I think they are too bright for earth.

They have a GORGEOUS caramel trench for spring, I want it but I really don't need it so I feel very righteous today for leaving it in the store. I'm trying to be more focused about my shopping.

Burgundy top - I wore this a lot because I liked the style, but I'm tired of it and I don't like the white anymore, Goodwill.

Teal blouse - I like this color, and it was nice to wear it on a gray, rainy day.

Pumpkin - Oh I forgot my lipstick, I feel naked :) I don't know about this color. But, I decided it's too casual for work, and I don't think the neckline isn't flattering.

I didn't work on Monday, so bonus top = casual Friday clothes for running errands - I love this flowy shirt with muted blue and rust on soft brown, but I can't get it to photograph well.

The Great White Purge - since I've added a few ivory tops to my wardrobe, I decided to get rid of my white shirts. A bag for Goodwill is sitting by the door, and some tired old dogs went in the trash. Yay!

burgundy.jpg.4b7772813c714fafbba97b4b314aa6c3.jpg

darkteal.jpg.d44e408bcee99cf82b29286e3753f0e7.jpg

pumpkin.jpg.1d9de24c8d9cd4d7eb6c4883467cb171.jpg

muted.jpg.b26d09b7e6fe5dc7c1dcefa888977667.jpg

Burgundy top - I wore this a lot because I liked the style, but I'm tired of it and I don't like the white anymore, Goodwill.

Good job! *pants on back* I think getting rid of staple items that we have relied on in the past can be difficult, so good job on this decision.

Teal blouse - I like this color, and it was nice to wear it on a gray, rainy day.

This is the most flattering style on you of these four shirts. Have you done the Shop Your Shape test? Your body shape looks like mine. The interest up high of the collar, breaking up the space with the open neckline, and the simple front of the shirt on the lower torso is a great look on you.

Pumpkin - Oh I forgot my lipstick, I feel naked :) I don't know about this color. But, I decided it's too casual for work, and I don't think the neckline isn't flattering.

I believe this is the most flattering color on you of these four. But I agree that the neckline isn't flattering. I think I see diagonal seam running from the armpit to the neck? This makes the bust appear even more prominent...and the neckline detail is too high, and especially coupled with those seams...good color though...

I didn't work on Monday, so bonus top = casual Friday clothes for running errands - I love this flowy shirt with muted blue and rust on soft brown, but I can't get it to photograph well.

The Great White Purge - since I've added a few ivory tops to my wardrobe, I decided to get rid of my white shirts. A bag for Goodwill is sitting by the door, and some tired old dogs went in the trash. Yay!

Yeah...the photograph isn't great on Friday's shirt...but it sounds pretty.

I have had poor luck wearing white shirts my entire life...all my white shirts were stained so it was no hardship for me to get rid of them. :o But I can sympathize with a working woman's wardrobe...it was probably a staple. Again...good job clearing out your closet!

I did this test and I'm a spoon.

I'm very short-waisted with long legs, which is why I prefer hip-length tops that lengthen my torso and balance my legs, and I never wear belts. I don't like shirts that tuck in. I like long jackets without any fussy stuff on them. All my weight is in my torso, which doesn't help, but it means I still have lovely legs.

I'm working on the Style Statement book, and I have to say that it's very, very interesting. It's really helping to give focus to some of the changes I'd like to make around here.

Monday was a holiday, so here is my new yellow tshirt. I can't wait to wear it in the summer with gold jewelry and my dark green khaki skirt.

Tuesday the brown tunic and ivory top - I had the tunic for a while, and just picked up the tshirt to wear underneath. I would wear this to dinner with heels and pearls.

Wednesday I wanted something cheery so I picked this black, aqua and green top. I'm trying to stay out of the black side of my closet, but it is hard, so hard. :)

Thursday, purple blouse. My students today really liked it, but I don't trust my judgment about it. I think it looks nice with my auburn hair, but it's not on the CJW list.

I gave this quote to my class today, it seems to be resonating for me because of the work I am doing in the Style Statement book:

"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work."

- Gustave Flaubert

yellow.jpg.dd395d70d33464d5beaabaed9cf2acea.jpg

ivorybrown.jpg.d6671d4a03c753d6e5d4e10b0cc8a0e4.jpg

aqua.jpg.d5f3ee7fbbafba7cd60ed84ffa619f3e.jpg

purple.jpg.f43d9547c388a2e38e09ddefe36d5a67.jpg

Jane...I saw that color. There was a ton of it. In the store, I couldn't decide if it was warm or cool...it had a tone to it that me want to call the color "watermelon," if I had to name it...I bought a dress that had a similar color in it and the color ended up being AIR...these photos are hard to analyze, but you can see how the cardigan color is just that much different from the shirt in the last photo...maybe I'm too tired, but I still can't tell from these photos if that Target color is a WIN or not. The shirt is...and that could be affecting the way you wear the Target color.

Anita, I think this Target cardigan is a different shade than the other corallish clothing. The others had a different color name: Guava (or something like that) IIRC.

Still not sure about whether to keep it. Tags are still on.

The other pics with me in t-shirt with cardi were actually of a different shade t-shirt (which fits, unlike the men's "orange" control tee). Here's a pic of me in the ill-fitting control T and "coral" cardi:

2010e1e.jpg

I'm just not loving any of these pics...maybe because I'm not feeling great? (Not sleeping well due to recovery from my injuries).

Here's one with the cardi draped around my neck without other colors to confound the matter. The earring are definitely orange, not cool:

2rvzm95.jpg

I did manage to get one decent picture of myself with just the control "orange" men's T-shirt, but most of them weren't very flattering:

op5soo.jpg

BTW, the lipstick in this last set of pics seems much earthier/better than the one I had been using in my CJW warm test photos. It's a new "CoverGirl Blast FlipStick Lipcolor" duo in "Smooch". I read a review where the reviewer said it was too warm for her. Here's a link to the review:

http://www.15minutebeauty.com/2012/02/covergirl-blast-flipstick-lipcolor.html

covergirlsmoochswatch.jpg

I think it's warm enough for me and just on the Earthy side.

Jane

Thursday, purple blouse. My students today really liked it, but I don't trust my judgment about it. I think it looks nice with my auburn hair, but it's not on the CJW list.

My absolute favorite on you is the purple! (I also really like the pumpkin color in a previous post.)

Thank you, I like the purple too. I have to say, I had no idea taking these pictures would be so helpful. If I look at this week's four, it is very clear that the Wednesday outfit is not right for me compared to the other three.

You look so good in coral! One of the things I am struggling with as I move away from black is that, black is so easy! Black is black, they all match, whereas with other colors it is so hard to get them to match. I have always had a lot of separates because I like variety, but I am starting to think that my grandmother's approach of buying complete outfits at once might be more suitable sometimes, like with your coral. As I do my different outfit a day project I'm discovering some orphans in my closet that just don't have anything to go with.

I also think it is very hard to match solids, and it might be easier if you try to match a solid top with a patterned sweater, or vice versa, because then it won't be so noticeable if the match isn't quite perfect. Another trick is to pair a light and dark version of the color together and have a tonal thing going on.

Thank you for posting the lipstick - what a great idea! I sometimes carry two around all day, if I am going from work to dinner and want a darker color for evening.

After this, only two more weeks until break. So, if you are sick of looking at my lame wardrobe, it will soon be over. :)

Monday - this lightweight Liz sweater is comfy and trendy, and I like it. I had no idea the off-white stripes were so prominent until I saw the photo.

Tuesday - cheating a bit here, as I wore this on either my first or second day of the semester, when I knew I would just be trudging away in my office. Looking at the photo now, I think the pink is too cool.

Wednesday - snowy cold day, so I think I can get away with this fleece vest even though I consider this a bit casual for work. I got this for Xmas and it's been an orphan in the closet until I got this off-white top to go with it. What do you think about a peachy one instead?

Thursday - I wanted to wear this blue and black skirt today with my black boots, but the black top is a hot mess. It looks better with a black T and a jacket, but I didn't want a jacket today. If I decide to keep the skirt, it definitely needs something else up top.

I honestly don't feel this big to myself. As I go about my day, in my head I'm just myself. I look at these pictures and I'm constantly surprised that that is me. I need to work on this if I want to be cruising when I'm 80.

liz.jpg.ce35fc151256d59d8781069cb5156d20.jpg

pinkbrown.jpg.7e7ea985accd19a23e8c0f40392b5447.jpg

brownvest.jpg.e354da6c590789f061aaf062fd2539bb.jpg

blueskirt.jpg.ec4aaec4f52f3229b1ec1dc342338ab3.jpg

Margaret, because I'm FIRE, I do more reading than writing on this thread, but I wanted to let you know that I'm not sick of seeing your wardrobe. Just the opposite, in fact. I've learned so much from your photo experiment and I plan to follow your example. I'm going to take a morning picture of myself for the next few weeks to see what I learn about my outfits. I think that quite a few of my "looks" aren't as spiffy as I've imagined and the process will also help me focus on eliminating more of my wardrobe. It's hard for me to toss items, but if I don't look my best in something, I'll have a legitimate reason for releasing it to live with someone else.

Your comment about Monday's top is why I think I should try this same experiment. I think some of my outfits may have a similar outcome when I take a snapshot.

The brown in your Tuesday look does seem cool to me also.

I like the colors of your Wednesday fleece vest best. I'd like to see it paired with a top in the reddish (maybe rust) color that is in the vest.

Thursday. Black. Enough said. During my first purge after consultation with CJW, I saved one black outfit, jewelry and shoes just in case I needed to attend a funeral and thought that my dark chocolate brown suit would stand out and feel inappropriate. I honestly never expect to wear it, because I've always known that black is the absolute worst color for me. Even though my hair is dark and it seems that fashion media and stores everywhere want you to buy black, I've always known it wasn't right for me. Like Anita's getting rid of her white items, it wasn't hard for me to remove black from my closet. I have several items taking up space and I can't decide if they should stay or go. Black is probably the only color that isn't a problem for me.;)

I understand totally what you said about what you see compared to what you feel inside. Not only do I see a bigger person than my mind tells me I am, but now I see a much older person also. When did this happen?

I very much appreciate you putting yourself "out there" for everyone to see. It is so brave of you and I am learning from your posts. Both the FIRE thread and this thread have hit a slump during the past several days. Hope everyone is well and busy. --Debbie

I very much appreciate you putting yourself "out there" for everyone to see. It is so brave of you and I am learning from your posts. Both the FIRE thread and this thread have hit a slump during the past several days. Hope everyone is well and busy. --Debbie

Margaret, I sooo agree with Debbie! Thanks for doing this, it really does help to "see" things when photos are posted here.