All things EARTH...

Debbie only about 4". It's been the truly bitter cold, -6F at 8 am. Hopefully, the worst is over - this is very early, even for CO. Can't wait to cruise in 2 weeks...I'm not going to want to come home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, that doesn't sound weird at all! As a matter of fact, when I'm out and about, I'm always saying, "Oh, Margaret would like that, or I think that is the kind of thing Anita would wear." I have a daughter who is a fire, and often times, when she is wearing the right color, I think of how good i will look on you. You both look so good in aqua!

We do have a fantastic group of friends here. We are all so supportive of one another, and we have learned so much about each other. I love how both Pam and Anita have helped me to understand what was and was not working with my outfits. I know when something looks right, but I often don't pinpoint what it is that makes something work. Then, the next time I shop, I go astray and can't figure out why.

One of my daughters is currently an assistant manager at Dressbarn, and I have to say, she has been a tremendous driving source for me to do better. She always, always, makes me try everything on, and she doesn't think twice about grabbing a different size and having me try it on. She always says that it's the fit that matters, not the size listed on the tag.

Well, our one day of summery weather is long gone. It's snowing and in the 30's. We too have that bitterness that comes with winter. Brrrr! And I need boots too! Real boots, snow boots.

Laurie, Your daughter is so right! I remember when I was trying on a top that I just knew was a great FIRE color... and it looked horrible on me because of the fit. I had a certain size in my head and that's what I pulled from the rack, but this top was just so bad that I sadly walked out of the dressing room. Would you believe that I was literally walking out of the store... my hand on the door when it dawned on me... hey... try a different SIZE?!? I think that I had such tunnel vision sometimes! So, yes, the end of the story is that I tried on a different size and that top has gone with me on several trips!

Body image is so frustrating. As well as sizing. And the powers that be don't make it easy because, I swear, I have everything in my closet from L to S, and it fits. Go figure.

Debbie, I know, I know! I've been thinking of Anita all week because of this awesome outfit I saw on an EARTH girl on the subway. She was wearing an Anita green 3/4 coat, a scarf in the matching green and teal, a flippy teal skirt that was just above the knee, and gorgeous chocolate brown knee-high boots with a gold detail around the ankle. With THE MOST AWESOME brown tights that were not-quite-fishnet, not-quite-lace. And she was blond. I wanted to take her picture but the train was crowded and it would have been awkward. Plus, we don't really do that -- it's a bit stalkerish for the big city. Her outfit is still stuck in my mind, though.

I find parallels sometimes between our discussions here and my teaching. With language, you have to create awareness before learning can happen, and a student will not grasp a language feature before first they see that it exists and then second can formulate a way to explore it. And then it is a learning curve. So, while I still blunder around sometimes, I find that every time I shop I'm a little pickier and less likely to impulse buy. My eye for color is improving. Will I ever have the perfect wardrobe? Honestly, I think not. I think reassessing as I age and change will always be going on. But isn't it fun? So fun.

Tuesday, it was 65. Yesterday, we had snow. Typical crazy NY weather.

I saw this in a magazine and had to try it. I love it! I have nails for the moment so I'm enjoying them. Clear polish with Sally Hansen Go for Gold:

goldnails1.jpg

Edited by MJC
fix photo

Jump over to Vivienne Files and check out her photos of window displays in Paris jewelry shops. OMG such fun. It reminds me of Pam's recent posts on the FIRE thread. I enjoyed those so much.

Then look at the beautiful painting she chose for yesterday's post. I would have gone to town on that one! I think her choices are a little bland. JMHO.

I had never seen the Vivienne Files before. Kind of cool but IMHO all of her choices, while pretty, seem kind of boring. Have you ever looked at beautiful cakes at a bakery? The ones on display for weddings? They are beautiful and perfect. But if you were to cut into one all that's under all that beautiful fondant and icing is cardboard. The cakes are fake. That's how some of Vivienne Files outfits look to me. A bit hollow and empty. Not that I could do any better. And likely the stuff I think is an amazing outfit she would detest. But it was interesting to check it out.

I finally started gathering clothes for my cruise next week and I already eliminated a few outfits and added different ones .I really dislike packing for cruises . Packing for regular trips is so much easier or do we stress ourselves trying too hard for the perfect outfits ? I traveled through europe for four weeks with one suitcase which included two all purpose dresses ,a few pairs of jeans , t shirts ,a jacket and two pairs of pants & two other tops and I never gave a thought to the way I looked and in the pictures I always looked put together & happy. I wish there was a store that you could order a suitcase from that was completely packed with the appropriate wardrobe for the occasion according to your size & color preference.

What a cool business idea, Sally! A business that packs your suitcase with everything you will need and then ships it to the cruise ship so it's ready and waiting for you. That would be awesome! If I could figure out how to make that a go, I'd totally do that business.

What a cool business idea, Sally! A business that packs your suitcase with everything you will need and then ships it to the cruise ship so it's ready and waiting for you. That would be awesome! If I could figure out how to make that a go, I'd totally do that business.

Great idea ! We will put Anita in charge of picking the items for the earth cruisers , Pam can do the Fire cruisers , Laurie can pick the accesories and Margaret can pick the formal wear . Mousy & you can put together the suitcases for the more trendy & I will draw up the business plan .

Hey Ladies!

Just a quick post here. I have hit my crazy busy weekend plus...went to the opera today! Saw "Madama Butterfly"...it was tragic awesomeness! Loved it.

I am sadly lacking in cold weather fancy clothes. I hit Kohl's Saturday evening and bought my new outfit. Oh my...I bought black pants! GASP! They fit great and a shirt I found looked fine with them. LOVE the shirt...and since we are all programmed to think most things look good with black...and also since EARTH prints tend to include black...these pants will help me get through the many dressy events I will be attending thorough the holiday season.

P1090752_zps222f63ed.jpg

DS took the picture. We were in a rush...I had about 15 minutes to get ready...hence...the blur.

I don't have cold weather dress up shoes. I was the only person I saw wearing sandals. The ONLY person. And I was looking. But I had nothing else that would work at all. These are my fun rosy colored metallic shoes.

And Ladies, if you like fun animal print inspired shirts...this is it at Kohl's:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1983731/jennifer-lopez-shirred-faux-wrap-top-womens.jsp

Fluid Leopard is the "color" of my shirt. It is mixed coral colors. Love the way the hem line dips down with the faux wrap...my posture could be better...sigh.

You can't see my earrings...but I'm wearing those brown drops with the red tops. Mom, they are the ones you gave me for the brown formal dress.

Oh! And when we stepped out onto the porch to take the photo...I found my new green pea coat from JJill! LOVE it. Wore it to the opera. Have to get a photo for everyone later...

Oh. You can't see my makeup. I was clearing out my magazine rack...I tear out inspirational pages. From InStyle May 2013...one of "10 Ways to play up your eyes" was to put a colored eyeliner on the bottom of your eyes only. The picture used a dark neutral on top with very neutral eye shadows. This is what I did. I used that terracotta color on the lid and a lovely neutral coral/gold above. No crease color. Dark Brown eyeliner above...the teal color I have below. I thought it looked great. Nice pop.

And there you go...there's my just waiting to be decorated for Christmas front porch! So Southern.

It's interesting that I love prepping for a cruise and what I'm going to wear. I love the process. It was harder for me to pack for when we went to the Grand Canyon. There must be something to that...

Anita, it sounds like you enjoyed the outfit you wore. Maybe you can find those pants in brown too. They sound a lot like what o would wear to work. I wear almost exclusively dress pants for work. It seems most all of them have come from NY and Company. They are all shades of beige and brown with the exception of s somewhat warm purple and two others - navy and this gray blue pair. The navy is part of a suit that gets warn a few times a year.

I couldn't bring up that picture on my phone but I will try on my laptop I love wrap tops. They work so well for me!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We leave in less than 2 wks for our next cruise. The company that was supposed to arrive yesterday cancelled their trip on Sat due to illness. So now the house is spotless (it was family, they look everywhere!), so DH decides it's time to decorate for Christmas before we cruise. Really! I have to pack! Sweet guy says you haven't bought a new formal outfit for awhile, it's our 45th anniversary, go see if you can find something new for the cruise, I'll take care of the tree & lights. See why we've been married for 45 years? Off I go to Dillard's & find a 2 piece tank & jacket; bonus, my size, double on sale for $30 marked down from $190! Tank has a cowl neck, jacket is open, triple bonus, washable! Soft turquoisey/teal with silver & gold threads running thru it, in color, if I can get a decent picture I'll post it. Came home to a decorated house, can't beat my guy, Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Melody, great story!! Your husband is a keeper. 45 years of marriage proves that!

Please post pictures. We love to

share on this thread.

Margaret, I love your nails. Mine were really long for the cruise. Unfortunately the nail polish was holding them together. After we got back, most were broken within a day. They look pretty good though overall. ImageUploadedByForums1416275035.789730.jpg.6feaeea0bd9e26368f57a36303397c16.jpg

I'm safe and warm. Well, it's not warm outside but my house is toasty! It is going to be about 17 degrees tonight. Anita, that weather is missing is, thank goodness. I'm worried about Mousey though. Is she still in Rochester? If so, I think they are being hit hard that is 3 hours away from here.

It's very cold. Very cold. And the wind is blowing...OMG.

I think I mentioned that I purchased some tall boots...that I found some that are for wide calves that I actually loved the look of and so I bought them...and I was pretty sure I was going to keep them. Debbie mentioned wanting to know how I was going to figure out whether or not to keep them.

So. I did go through some pants of mine to see that I liked the look on me and that it "worked" for me. BUT...I've discovered that I can like something, but that doesn't mean I'll actually wear it. So I left these boots out in my room where I could see them...and I kind of kept track of whether or not I was wanting to wear them at all. And after doing this little exercise...and REALLY wanting to wear them today...into tonight...I finally detagged the boots and wore them for the first time tonight to DS' Honor Chorus Concert.

My stretch skinny jeans are the warmest pants I own. Something about the fabric traps heat...I also NEED the weather to be cold...so perfect with the boots for tonight. What to wear on top? I grabbed my warmest sweater...and figured out a shirt that went with it. That sweater is a wool cardigan that I have shared before...the shirt is a Jones New York brand find at Goodwill.

Here's a closer photo to see my hair cut. Of course...it's been a couple weeks now...

P1090754_zpse82d3a99.jpg

P1090755_zps358f8a34.jpg

I didn't really want my belt to show...but the shirt had moved on me. I wanted you to see my boots. They have laces up the front (which I think really helps to visually break up my larger calves):

P1090757_zpsa2f1daef.jpg

And finally, here's my new JJill peacoat!

P1090758_zps16e1f85d.jpg

If I look cold in these outside shots...I am!! It's barely above 30 degrees outside!

Anyway...no makeup tonight. Just didn't want to deal with that tonight. Rather, I didn't want to spend the time on it.

I did spend a little time trying to find a necklace that would work. Couldn't find one. I did try a couple of different earrings...and settled on the hoops. I think I'm a hoops girl. I do like some drops...but generally...if I need a casual earring...I just like a metal hoop. I've been trying to make the effort to wear the different things I own...including jewelry...and I think I might have made some poor purchases of earrings because I just don't wear them that much. And I'm wishing I had more variety in a hoop style for casual wear.

Edited to add: This shirt doesn't photograph well. It has a gathered band and it's very loose fitting. It's folded over and making me look like I have more of a pot belly than I do...

Edited by Anita Latte

Anita, what a great outfit! Don't you feel really, really good when you are wearing earthy clothes and you can so readily see the difference it makes? It is what makes it easy for me not to buy black. Seriously. I would wear the outfit you have on in a heartbeat.

And as much as you don't like the cold, isn't it nice to put something like this on? It's such a great outfit.

That is a great coat color too. I will have to post a picture of my winter coat soon. I think the color is similar. When you find certain things in the right color, you just have to grab them!

And I really like your hair, Anita. The length works so well with the hoop earrings. I don't always wear earring a lot...I have trouble with them bothering my years. Plus, my hair covers them so you don't see them much.

I really need to figure out my hair. I liked it in May for our cruise somewhat, not a ton. I like wearing it a bit straighter like I did on my last cruise...still trying to figure out what looks good!

Sally...

I think that is the most thoughtful thing that your husband did! Really, and truly, thoughtful to do the Christmas tree while you get to go shopping! Sometimes...doing that tree is a chore when you have so many other things that also need to happen. It's one of those things that in romantic thinking SHOULD be such a fun family gathering kind of activity...like a Norman Rockwell painting...everyone drinking their holiday beverage of choice...a fire going...music playing...and everyone laughing and decorating what becomes the perfect Christmas tree.

Like that ever happens.

I'm here wanting my house decorated and trying to figure out the scheduling of it all with everything else that is happening...

What a gift to have your DONE!!

Your outfit sounds lovely. Dillards has always been a gold mine for sale items. I hope you take a picture to share!

Somehow, I missed that this cruise was for your anniversary! AWESOME! 45 years!! That's so excellent.

I know what you mean about turning on the heat. I would get really bummed in Houston if we had to turn it on before Thanksgiving. I loved that time of year when the humidity would finally recede enough and the temps even out...we could go for months without either the heat or the air...ahhhh.

I happen to hate forced air...wrecks havoc with my nose...my dream house has radiant heating.

I'm enjoying dressing for cold much more now that I have cold weather clothes. Now that I have warm, closed toed shoes, my vest, my coat, and some long sleeved shirts. The last time I lived in a place where I had such a distinct wardrobe for seasons was 2004. I didn't really associate Georgia with that kind of place...but I haven't lived in the South before...(Texas is NOT South...it's is OWN thing). Now that I'm finally coming to terms with this idea...I'm making the purchases I need to do in order to dress appropriately and nicer. That IS...KIND OF...enjoyable. I suppose. LOL.

I do love my wood burning fireplace! Best part of the cold IMO.