All things EARTH...

Laurie,

Hope you're feeling better...summer colds are a big drag!

Anita,

Barcelona...actually Spain in general...is on my bucket list.

I too like to get to the airport early much to the DH's and DS's dismay. They'd get there right when the plane was about to pull out of the gate if they could. LOL!

I love Zara and shop there often. As a matter of fact...I just bought my "steal of the summer" at their recent big sale. It's a white...I know...gauze, empire style, bell-sleeved, tunic top...I just love it! It's loose fitting and flows beautifully! I'm in love!

I love your haircut...it's one of my dream haircuts but my hair is too curly for it. I know I could use a straightening iron or blow dry it like that...but that's just too much work for me. I'm a wash and dry natural kind of gal. I'm also very lazy! LOL!

Margaret,

I forgot about the Thred Up website...I just looked on there and saw a couple of pairs of boots that I might go for. Thanks for the reminder!

Melody,

I hope you're doing better and on your feet soon (pun intended) LOL!

Last...but definitely not least...

The DS will be home in 14 days! OMG! I can't wait! I'm going to hug him for an hour at least and kiss him all over his gorgeous face...like a hundred times! I'll be a hug'n and a kiss'n him every day! LOL!

Edited by mousey

Got my stitches out today, we're cautiously optimistic that this might actually have worked. Thanks to so many of you that asked how it was going. Greatly appreciated

I did get to do a little shopping yesterday. Columbia Outlets having a good sale (DH now has 3 new shorts & shirts, all SPF30-50 & I found board shorts for under $20 in grey, navy & black, perfect for paddleboarding! Chicos next door yielded a pair of khaki travelers shorts (with zip pocket), asymmetrical hem turquoise/cream/grey tunic, turquoise casual shirt & teal/white zigzag pattern 3/4 sleeve shirt...all for $54! Couple of doors down I went into Vera Bradley for the first time, wow! 50% off entire store & additional 10% military discount. Couldn't resist, these just screamed take me on a cruise! ImageUploadedByForums1436485771.409885.jpg.01ff3085bd8b695e6636056bab4ab396.jpg. Shopped for 15 minutes in all 3 stores (DH wouldn't let me walk further [emoji22].

Thanks again for the well wishes. Melody

First things first: Anita, I love your hair! It seems perfect for your personality and hair type! That is one area of struggle for me. I just love this look. I had a cut like this for a while but I struggled with it because I had to go shorter than I wanted in order for my hair to lay right.

And I think green is a great color for you. I can see you now with your hair, a scarf, maybe that jacket you wore in the fall...wow!

My hair is very straight, but it is smooth...no texture or volume. It gets rather lifeless. I seemed to have lost some of the volume I could create by using a curling iron and fluffing with my fingers like I used to. Maybe it's the cut?

I think my stylist is worried that if she cuts my hair differently or shorter, that I won't like it. I keep asking for side swept bangs, the type that you can see, if you know what I mean. I tell her she can go shorter, but I think she is afraid to. I need to add something to my look, and I think I want to go a little shorter. Not a lot, but shorter.

Margaret, I have never heard of that store before, but I can honestly say that I wanted most of the dresses you shared the links to! They seem to be very much my style. And with those prices, I wouldn't feel guilty!

Anita, I love how many earthy colors you saw on your trip. I found the printed pants interesting too. Everyone seems to be wearing them. I think they can be worn a lot of ways, but you have to pay close attention to your shape. For example, my younger daughter is around 5'5" and has a straight, lean shape to her. She wore a pair to work a few days ago (they're business casual in her office) with a sleeveless, jersey, drape neck top. She tucked in the top, and wore a pair of pumps with it. It was a great outfit. My other daughter is petite...short, and short waisted. She has a pair too. It's not her best look, but it seemed to look decent when she wore this knit top that tied at the waist. I'm not sure I could make it work, but I am opening up to new styles lately.

My daughters think I would do very well in print skinny jeans, or straight jeans. I don't know about that, but I did buy a pair of skinny capris not long ago. I was very nervous about it. I plan to wear them tomorrow night so I will try to get a picture and you can tell me what you think. Everyone here is good at giving me constructive feedback I can use.

Mousey, I'm feeling much better, thank you. I still have a nagging cough, but I'm very much on the mend and doing all my usual things. As silly as it seems, I think my workout helped yesterday!

You are so excited to see your son. It's hard when they go away, isn't it? My daughter takes a half hour lunch each day but on Thursday she has an hour lunch and she goes to the bank. Today she brought her lunch with her and had lunch with me. It was sweet!

Melody, I'm so happy to hear how well you are doing! Your husband is right though, don't push it too much.Let yourself heal up!

Zara seems like a very appealing store to me. It's like H&M, but much better colors! Our H&M at the mall is black and white and gray. Sigh.

How cute are these? I like how they come in an ICE, FIRE, AIR and EARTH color. One for each of us!

https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Sealife_Sandal/30/

Melody, so glad to hear you are doing well! That sounds like a very short but productive shopping trip, lots of goodies to come home with.

Mousey, so happy for you that your son is coming home soon. My BFF is over the moon to have her DD home for the summer. First year of college was VERY hard on her. DD had a ball, but her mom was really distraught.

Anita, now that you've lived with your hair for a few days, how is it? I think we have a unanimous EARTH vote that we love it on you.

I saw "the pants" today. She was wearing them with a tailored black tank, heels, and some awesome sunglasses. I think the key with those is to accessorize really well. Laurie, it sounds like your daughter is right on track with that.

I realized that I don't really need to KonMari my kitchen. I have a galley kitchen in the apartment and it really only can hold what I need and use often. I have a couple very high shelves that I can only reach with a stepladder, and that's where I store my Passover stuff. Everything else is in rotation all the time. I don't have space for anything extra. I did have some chafing dishes in the hall closet, but they've been there since my FIL died and I never used them. Off to Goodwill they went. If I ever have that kind of party, I'll just rent some.

I did move my china so that it's easier to get to. Once the apartment is fixed up I want to have people over and use my china more often. I'd especially like to use it once in a while just for the two of us. Just that little step made me very happy that day. :)

Love the shoes, Margaret! I think I'll take mine in gold instead of aqua. I recently bought a pair of aqua sandals and am trying desparately to purchase less instead of more. I receive Soft Surroundings catalogs and looked to see if they have brick and mortar stores, but none are near me. Maybe that's for the best.

The gold sandals for me. It's funny, I don't really look at nautical things for a cruise, but I love touches of the tropics.

I don't have to be on a cruise though. Today for work I wore heathered brown dress pants with a slightly muted, coral 3/4 sleeve sweater. It is one of those lightweight, fine gauge sweaters. my necklace was from Dressbarn, and it has a gold starfish combined with coral and turquoise. I loved that it was fun, but still worked for the office.

Besides, it was Friday and the sun was shining!

Anita, how is it for you to do your own hair? Easy? It was really easy for me with my hair shorter in a similar style, it's just that my hair got stringy on me. But I loved the ease of getting ready each day.

I really need a new hair style. I'm open to suggestions all the time, gang!

Laurie, I don't have cut suggestions, but I can speak to stringy. I've recently started highlighting my hair again because my stylist suggested I needed to "rough up" my hair. It is so silky that I swear it becomes limp and stringy just looking at it in the mirror! I can't use conditioner at all. Stylist suggested I use kids leave-in conditioner since it isn't so heavy. Also, dry shampoo is my new best friend. It's not like the old days. I wash, dry, use dry shampoo, run through it with a flatiron (bend under on ends to style), hair spray and go. The next day, I flat-iron, then dry shampoo (lift up sections and spray underneath), hairspray to control fly-always, and out the door.

May not be what you meant at all, but hope that helps. YMMV, but it works for me.

I don't wear flip flop style shoes anymore so those sandals...as cute as they are...aren't for me. I also get the Soft Surroundings catalog...I enjoy browsing through it before it hits the recycling bin. Everything always looks appealing in it.

I am enjoying my hair. It is easy to do. I am blessed with an abundance of hair...so what I am really enjoying is the shaved part of the undercut. We did a conservative amount for this first time, but I think I might go bigger with it even. It really helps my hair to hang better in the back. I wonder if that would help you Laurie?

I've had a variation of this current cut over the years...I have weird associations with things and I know that I have some associations with this hair style that I need to overcome. It's a good cut for me because it works with what my hair wants to do which is grow forward and hang heavy. I feel like it is working for me though...so I'll probably work on maintaining this one for a while. Especially since I don't have to do anything to it...just wash and go...but I can work it a bit more if I want to for special occasions.

Laurie...this time around I actually thought about my style statement when thinking about a hair style. I'd have to search through the thread to find yours again, if you shared it...but maybe start there. Think about what your hair really wants to do without much effort...

Does it just hang? Does it curl or wave? Which direction does it grow? How fast does it grow?

Think about what would complement your face...for instance...I have noticed that if my hair gets too long, but not long enough...it really weighs down my face...I look more droopy...but with the jaw length cut...I overall have more of a perky look.

I don't have a high forehead, so I don't think bangs look good on me...unless the 80s? style of big high bangs were to come back? Those were a good look for me...the height helped because they would otherwise drive me nuts getting into my eyes...unless they were way too short and looked ridiculous that way...

Anyway...I went clinical in my thoughts for my hair this time. Less emotional...thinking less about what attracts me in a hair style. Because like mousey...I'm attracted to an opposite world...curly, textured, unruly hair that has a sassy, fun look.

That's what I always try to get...but my hair doesn't do that without a bunch of work...and as it turns out...

I'm lazy that way too! Not willing to do that on a daily basis.

I don't know if you wear calling the tank I was wearing a green shirt? Isn't that funny. It's totally blue. Well...a teal blue...but if you can think of that one maxi skirt of mine with the coral, blue, and black print? That tank is the same from those pictures.

Margaret...with all the recent moving...I didn't clear too much out of the kitchen...but I did do some good reorganizing and rethinking about how to use my kitchen spaces. For instance, I have one of those flatwear organizers that has large rectangular dividers (not the shaped like a fork, spoon, etc. kind)...and I used to put one kind of flatwear in each divider...but they are so big, I can actually fit two kinds in one divider.

So I made that concept work and increased the storage capacity of my drawers, etc., so I cleared the "tool bucket" off my counter and made more tools handy within a certain space to increase efficiency in the kitchen.

Things like that are what I have done for a KonMari in the kitchen.

I have similar feelings regarding having a "nice dinner" more often and wanting to use dishes, glasses, etc., that are more associated with "special occasions."

Glad to hear you are feeling better Laurie...and Melody too, that you could be out and about for a bit.

Edited by Anita Latte

Just came back from Kohls. If anyone is looking for swimwear, shorts, skorts, swim dress cover ups. Get to Kohls! I got navy board shorts (with zipper pockets!) chocolate (yes) skort, cobalt & turquoise swim dress coverup & a set of king sized sheets for $63 (I did have a 30% coupon). I think I'm done for the November cruise. I think I've said that 4 times now...Melody

I love Kohls, but don't get there very often. The one near us isn't all that close, so we only get out there a few times a year. We have a newer mega plaza developing, and everyone keeps asking for a Kohls to be put there. I would love it because it's very close to us!

We have a JJill at the mall, but I haven't really checked it out. I will probably be going to the mall next week so I will have to stop in and take a look.

My husband is in Pennsylvania this weekend, one of my daughters is working and the other is hanging out with her friends. It's just me! I probably should have gone up to the mall or something, but I've been organizing instead.

Anita and Margaret, you both have talked a lot about KonMari...my approach is a bit different at the moment. My husband and I have been discussing budgets, retirement, savings and things like that. I organized this information and put it together so we know what are plans are, and where we are at with those. I also made a to do list that encompasses small things, such as repaint the laundry room and finish the trim in the den. Then there is a mid list, build deck. Then there is the big list...reside house. You may have noticed that the sizing isn't related necessarily to the size of the job, but also to the cost. Some things we will do and some things we will hire someone to do.

The to do list ties into the budget and where I am with things, when we want to get them done and so forth.

Next up is the streamlining, which leads into the KonMari part. Clothing wise, I don't really need to make a pile, I need to literally try things on. Some things will fit, some will not. For those that do not, I have to decide if I can alter them myself, if I need to have a tailor do it, or if it is time to let go. Then I need to look at those piles and think about what I love and what I don't. It may seem like I should decide what I love first, but that conflicts with my sensible side and I will end up refusing to do it and not get anything done.

The reason is, if I have something and it fits, I will wear it even if I don't love it. It would be wasteful not to. When I am shopping and the right thing comes along, then I feel it's okay to let it go because it has been replaced with something that works for me. But if I just clear out what I don't love, I may not have what I need and the guilt of getting rid of perfectly good clothing will drive me crazy. So I organize all of it first.

My favorite red dress, the cocktail length dress, I already know that it is too big. I tried it on and it needs some work. I know I can take in the darts and all, but the shoulders are an issue. Just as a refresher, here is the dress:

IMG_1366.jpg

With that twist effect, I'm afraid to do it myself. I do have a handful of things I can do on my own though, so that is good. But I do have to pull everything out of the closet and try it on.

I wish I could continue to lose weight..I seem to be holding right now at the same level. Keep in mind that the doctor lowered my thyroid medicine twice so I know that is having an effect. I have an appointment coming up soon and I'm going to discuss the full panel test and see what we can do.

My hair...I'm trying to find some pictures from over the years that may help. I think that if they tried that shaving technique, they'd have to go very, very light. As a matter of fact, one time when I was wearing the inverted bob, she did that on ever so small a scale, and it worked. However, the haircut was shorter than what I wanted. I will figure it out! I think that if I post pictures, you all may be able to help me in the right direction.

Here's one I liked quite a bit:

LaurieGirls_139_zpsawyrnwzj.jpg

What did you get? I thought the last JJill catalog had a bunch of fun Earthy colors... I like the fabrics of JJill generally too.

I bought an earthy green dress a few weeks ago and got rave reviews about it . Today I bought a greenish jacket , a yarn dyed linen shirt & pants to go with it . A greenish sweater & a green & white tank & tan pants , dark blue tencel pants & a matching open front sweater . The pants outfit will be perfect for dinner on the cruise & it looks like it will pack well . I love JJill and 99% of my wardrobe is from there . By the way I love your hair cut !

Maybe this will work? What do you think about the length for my face shape? Is it too flat looking? My hair is quite flat naturally. It doesn't require any straightening for a style such as this. I would wash, dry, and maybe need to touch the ends a bit with a curling iron so they aren't flyaway.

hair_zps8mysj43u.jpg

I too love to use my "good stuff" for dinner during the week sometimes. My guys, when the DS was younger, would always say..."What's the special occasion?" And I'd say..."You guys are the special occasion." Corny but true! LOL!

We Face Timed with the DS for 1/2 hour yesterday...it was great. He's such a funny, witty guy. I really can't believe he's 20 years-old! Where did the time go?

He's due home in 8 days!!!!! He told us, though he's enjoying Argentina, he's counting down the days till he's home. I asked him what was the first thing he wanted to do when he got home and he said he wants to eat "real" eggs because the ones they serve them every morning are "egg soup" they are so under cooked! He also wants bacon, my chocolate chip cookies, my brownies, and especially...my homemade pizza. I told him he'll get all that and more!

Here's an update about my cousin...she's one week into her radiation treatments. I've been taking her twice a week and after her treatment (since she's having no negative side effects at all) we go to lunch and shopping. Then I hang out with her and we look over her photo albums. So much fun rehashing the past. We're just a couple of old Hippies! LOL! The DH and I took her out to dinner tonight as her DH is out of town on business and afterwards we went back to her house and the DH really loved looking at her albums from our younger days. He especially loved seeing a picture of us when it was so obvious we were just starting to fall in love. This past June that would be 44 years ago! The DH's best friend married my cousin 40 years ago...we have a rich history together all of us and we're still going strong!

Oh, by-the-way, I picked up a really cute Pareo...it's dark navy with little gold anchors all over it. So cute. I plan to wear it as both a cover-up and as a neck scarf on our next cruise!

Oh, more big news! We got two letters from Carnival telling us that we have the choice of several dates and length of trips to choose from @$100 or $50 (depending on the length of the cruise) per person FOR THE WHOLE trip which includes a $100 or $50 gift card for each of us! Can you even believe it? One letter came for the DH and one for the DS. I was wondering why I didn't get one but when I read what the deal was...each letter is for up to two people per cabin! So, the DH can take me as his quest for the same price. The DS unfortunately won't be able to use his because the dates are all for after he's back in school in AZ. But if this deal is for real as stated and there aren't any hidden fees other than it doesn't include taxs, or port fees...we're going to do a 4-day cruise in late Aug. after the DS is back in AZ. I'm so excited!!! I'll be calling Carnival to check out the details tomorrow! Wish us luck!!!

Edited by mousey

Athleta is having a sale. The rashguards and coverups we have discussed are on sale right now.

I caved & bought the black rash guard & a blue hooded sweatshirt. I still had a gift card. I really think I'm done now [emoji6]. Melody