All things EARTH...

Nice haircut, Barbara! It's good to hear from you.

Lauri, you will be in Syracuse? It really is a small world, isn't it? Do you have any special plans for while you are here?

For those of you not familiar with Central New York, Syracuse is just don't the street from me. I work in Syracuse.

Yes, we will be driving to Syracuse Friday morning. It is a 9 hour drive for us. My niece works at Arcadis, she is an environmental engineer. We are planning on the Farmers Market on Saturday morning and will go to the Finger Lakes on Sunday. It will be a very quick weekend. We will drive back Monday morning. Unfortunately other commitments made us keep it to 4 days, but it will be wonderful!

Lauri

Fun haircut Barbara! I haven't had bangs in forever...I think my forehead is too short. They look good on you!

Ok. Lauri...I've been staring at the photos again this evening...and I went looking through my own photos to try to find a correlation...this is what I do. Anyway, I think I found one. Here it is:

lauriandme2_zpsxcxdkpf3.jpg

Do not go looking at colors...or skin colors or tones...we aren't going to talk about pink and yellow or orange. Only the way that the light plays on the skin.

My picture is a more extreme version of the play of light. I think that I am very cloudy...DH and I photograph exactly alike...and now knowing how men have such thicker skin in general...I'm all like :eek: because I haven't seen anyone else photograph quite the way that I do. But I digress...Ariel and I are the extremes.

She how Ariel glows so much that she is WHITE. Now...the red hair is a wig so we can't be thinking she is anything except a person that glows from within...and I've recently learned that there are certain foundations that can give this same effect, but my recollection is not that Ariel has that much makeup on...she was pretty cute all on her own and didn't need major foundation.

Again, I digress! Ariel is glowing from within. And the light is just sitting on my face...making me look shiny and oily and just well...I am not glowing from within.

Now your DD glows from within in the light. But the light is sitting on you Lauri.

So. I'm feeling like you and I really have so many parallels going on. Curt believed so much that I was a Fire...and apparently, I've done the same with you...but now...I'm thinking you are Earth. Yep. Back to Earth.

And FINALLY, Kohl's has added the shirt that I recently purchased!! Fall hit the website.

This color "Olive" is a very good Earth color:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2118043/ab-studio-space-dye-necklace-top-womens.jsp

This color "Orange" is Fire...not super duper Fire...but too bright for me:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2076334/ab-studio-gauze-knot-front-shirt-womens.jsp

Now the question would be is it too bright for you? Because at some point the line is drawn...and you cross from muted to clear. And that line could differ for people.

If you have a Target near you? If this color "Winter Green" is what I think it is, it is a beautiful Fire color, it looked fantastic on Mom:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-slub-tank-merona/-/A-16535170#prodSlot=_1_5

Orange dream is rough business...I think it like sherbet and not really good for warm people...

This green "Kelp Green" is a great green. It's green. Not olive or army. Like green. Which is nice for an Earth color:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-tank-merona/-/A-16535188#prodSlot=_1_3

These are ones that I have personal experience with and can find online. I'd love for you to have that ah-ha moment, so if we can help make that happen with color...we can work on that.

It is my opinion that the lavender sweater from previous pictures is Earth. That the lovely purple patterned shirt in these photos is also Earth. The teal blue in the photo with your DD and DH could be Earth (it doesn't feel like it blends with your DH's powder blue). The pink is wearing you and your face kind of recedes in that photo. I'm not sure about the shiny blue...shiny throws me off. I think the blue/orange pattern is Earthy (but it could be so faded) and that you could benefit from a more saturated color.

Have a great weekend in Syracuse! Safe travels on your road trip!

It'd be funny if you and Laurie crossed paths! That would be a photo to see!!

Edited by Anita Latte

Fun haircut Barbara! I haven't had bangs in forever...I think my forehead is too short. They look good on you!

Ok. Lauri...I've been staring at the photos again this evening...and I went looking through my own photos to try to find a correlation...this is what I do. Anyway, I think I found one. Here it is:

lauriandme2_zpsxcxdkpf3.jpg

Do not go looking at colors...or skin colors or tones...we aren't going to talk about pink and yellow or orange. Only the way that the light plays on the skin.

My picture is a more extreme version of the play of light. I think that I am very cloudy...DH and I photograph exactly alike...and now knowing how men have such thicker skin in general...I'm all like :eek: because I haven't seen anyone else photograph quite the way that I do. But I digress...Ariel and I are the extremes.

She how Ariel glows so much that she is WHITE. Now...the red hair is a wig so we can't be thinking she is anything except a person that glows from within...and I've recently learned that there are certain foundations that can give this same effect, but my recollection is not that Ariel has that much makeup on...she was pretty cute all on her own and didn't need major foundation.

Again, I digress! Ariel is glowing from within. And the light is just sitting on my face...making me look shiny and oily and just well...I am not glowing from within.

Now your DD glows from within in the light. But the light is sitting on you Lauri.

So. I'm feeling like you and I really have so many parallels going on. Curt believed so much that I was a Fire...and apparently, I've done the same with you...but now...I'm thinking you are Earth. Yep. Back to Earth.

And FINALLY, Kohl's has added the shirt that I recently purchased!! Fall hit the website.

This color "Olive" is a very good Earth color:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2118043/ab-studio-space-dye-necklace-top-womens.jsp

This color "Orange" is Fire...not super duper Fire...but too bright for me:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2076334/ab-studio-gauze-knot-front-shirt-womens.jsp

Now the question would be is it too bright for you? Because at some point the line is drawn...and you cross from muted to clear. And that line could differ for people.

If you have a Target near you? If this color "Winter Green" is what I think it is, it is a beautiful Fire color, it looked fantastic on Mom:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-slub-tank-merona/-/A-16535170#prodSlot=_1_5

Orange dream is rough business...I think it like sherbet and not really good for warm people...

This green "Kelp Green" is a great green. It's green. Not olive or army. Like green. Which is nice for an Earth color:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-tank-merona/-/A-16535188#prodSlot=_1_3

These are ones that I have personal experience with and can find online. I'd love for you to have that ah-ha moment, so if we can help make that happen with color...we can work on that.

It is my opinion that the lavender sweater from previous pictures is Earth. That the lovely purple patterned shirt in these photos is also Earth. The teal blue in the photo with your DD and DH could be Earth (it doesn't feel like it blends with your DH's powder blue). The pink is wearing you and your face kind of recedes in that photo. I'm not sure about the shiny blue...shiny throws me off. I think the blue/orange pattern is Earthy (but it could be so faded) and that you could benefit from a more saturated color.

Have a great weekend in Syracuse! Safe travels on your road trip!

It'd be funny if you and Laurie crossed paths! That would be a photo to see!!

Hi Anita,

I am thinking the same way you are. I can see a lot of similiarities between how our skin looks in pictures. I get that oily look too, so I know what you are referring to! I forgot to email you the scanned photo last night...ugh..Have to do it tonight.

I will order those tops tonight from Kohls and Target so they will be waiting for me when I return from Syracuse. Nice that Target has free shipping right now! I almost ordered the orange top from Kohls a few weeks ago when you were thinking I was a fire. But it is very sheer organza? material. It reminds me of the yellow/green blouse I stole from Brookes closet. Do you think that would be ok? If you want to find another fire from Kohls, I can order both. I want an AHA moment!!

Thanks so much!

Lauri

Athleta just got their fall stuff in. Earth ladies, hie yourself to Athleta! I got a Merlot colored skort. DD was looking for teaching clothes (she teaches PE) & found tons of things (most on clearance rack, which made her happy,happier when I paid, told her it was school clothes, even the sales clerks laughed at her stunned expression). Melody

The shirts are ordered! Hopefully by next week we will know what season I am! I loved the orange and winter green colors...I hope I am fire!!! But you inspired me when you said some of the items I have in my closet are actually earth like my favorite lavender sweater. So, I don't have to wear only brown and green, I can actually have muted versions of my favorite air colors if I do end up Earth.

Off to pack for the weekend!

Lauri

Anita, I'm liking that crossover top at Kohls a lot! I would get a lot out of that. I'm trying to find tops that feel less plain. Not dressed up, just...polished up a bit? Does that sound right? Anita, I think you said you were also looking for some things other than regular knit shirts.

I am going to start looking a bit for shorts, since they are on clearance now. It's a good time to get a deal. But the strapless and racer back bra come first. Those are a must. I have to say, I really liked Soma. They're a bit pricey, not awful. Plus, they had a particular style on sale that I liked so that helped too.

Melody, I only glanced at the Athleta site in the car on the way to the gym. My husband was driving. I did see a few really nice colors!

Like Anita, I will definitely grab an earth color when I see it. But since they aren't that common, I find that I migrate to bright colors. Some of those bottoms with all the colors in it? I have a couple of those. I find that if I can't wear my best colors, I want to at least wear something that gives me energy. Fun colors do that.

Remember that picture I posted of a haircut I liked? Well, I really needed it cut badly but when I went, I didn't bring the picture. I told her to just trim it, and I wanted side bangs. I realized that is what I always say. So I told her the side bangs needed to be shorter, and then I thought that the hair length should be about here, etc. I pretty much ended up with what was in the picture, lol.

It's not really much different at all than what I usually wear, but it's not so scraggly.

Love the Kohl's crossover top. It's all one layer that just looks like that. The necklace attaches at the shoulder, so you can easily take it off for laundry. Or take it off, or play with it.

I also got the lighter color...but I haven't taken photos yet to determine if it is as good. I love the olive color a lot. There's another top that has an embellished neckline. I picked that up too. I like it a lot too but the stones are on a black ribbon and that's why I didn't pick it for Lauri for testing.

Love the Kohl's crossover top. It's all one layer that just looks like that. The necklace attaches at the shoulder, so you can easily take it off for laundry. Or take it off, or play with it.

I also got the lighter color...but I haven't taken photos yet to determine if it is as good. I love the olive color a lot. There's another top that has an embellished neckline. I picked that up too. I like it a lot too but the stones are on a black ribbon and that's why I didn't pick it for Lauri for testing.

Anita, I tried the olive one on today, I looked muddy. That used to be a good color for me as a redhead (auburn). All you could see was the shirt, DD said, yuck Mom, not your color! Melody

I didn't take a picture. It made me feel washed out & tired. I'm going outlet shopping with other DD tomorrow - if I find it or s color like it I'll snag a picture. I have a Jasper Green (Athleta) hoodie more of a grey/green & that looks pretty good. I think it was the yellow haze in the olive that washed me out.

That's why I wonder about the photo...washed out may just be really blended skin tone. Not necessarily washed out. Wearing a brighter color will add a lot of color to you...it does to me...because your skin reflects it so much...when you are really used to seeing that look...it can be hard to recognize your "true" skin tone without the artificial pump up.

That Jasper Green is more Air...whose muted quality will be more in keeping with your skin tone...but it will pump up the pinks in your skin adding that kind of quality to your look...which I think you like. Air will enhance the difference in the reds and yellows while a warmer muted color will cool off the reds (as funny as that sounds) and that may be the "washed out" that you perceive.

It's all a matter of what makes us feel good in the end. That's the whole point. I don't ever want anything I write to have a negative impact on anyone. I try very hard to have a non-judgmental voice even as I offer critical analysis and honest opinions.

I have my own curiosity about the effect of color on you, just because I have offered an opinion and it's all a learning process for all of us. There was one red head back in the day that was an Air. Maybe you are like her? IDK. Pictures are the only way to tell for sure. I know that my natural eyes thought many things that I disproved through actual pictures.

Edited by Anita Latte

Anita, I'm wearing my mulberry Athleta skort today with a scarf, I'll get DD to snap a picture, I really think it's more blue/burgundy than red/burgundy. I'll also try to get the olive. I will have makeup on tho [emoji6]. Melody

I saw this online, and was thinking what a nice cross it was between the features I liked on the purple/brown dress, and the neckline that I prefer. However, it isn't the right color, I don't think. I found the color confusing, but it felt cool overall.

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/db-rsvp-draped-satin-dress/101898240/257

I haven't taken back the other dresses yet. I really need to see them with a better bra. Maybe today...

I like the shorter dress quite a bit. I love the long gold one too, but....

decisions, decisions...

I couldn't find the color of mulberry on the Athleta website. I found chianti, which looks really nice, but may be bluish. It was hard to tell on my monitor.

I love the olive leggings, but I'm not sure about leggings for me. Maybe with a longer, looser top, especially for weekends and so forth. It get's pretty cold here soon.

Melody, you have such pretty hair. I am not optimistic that my natural gray will be as attractive. :(

Lauri, I grew up in the southern LP. So I have to say... GO BLUE! :D

I am on a lake staycation this week. Yay! I have a horde of fashion photos to post, and plenty of time to do it, so get ready.

These few are from May.

Animal print shoes:

blahnik.jpg

a bit edgy and not EARTHy but I love this:

burberry.jpg

These colors aren't perfect, but I love this pulled together casual look:

jeans.jpg

frocks, flats, and puppies, what's not to love?

AltuzarraDVF.jpg

MJC - when I decided to go hair natural I low lighted it twice & then cut it really short & this is what I ended up with. I still miss my auburn red (but not enough to go back to coloring every 2 weeks)

On our way back from Houston, I snagged a fall 2014 German Elle from the KLM lounge.

I've seen this beautiful Bulgari ad several times since:

Bulgari.jpg

Nice to see a dark brown suede jacket (Michael Kors):

Kors.jpg

More leopard:

Leopard.jpg

Louisa Cerrano, an unfamiliar name to me, interesting color combo on the right:

LuisaCerrano_0001.jpg

Fun fun fun:

MarcCain.jpg

I would wear this Ferreti dress in a heartbeat:

Ferretti.jpg

These suggested color pairings are similar to what I see in InStyle. I like them because I tend to be rather conventional with color and it helps me to see some more interesting options:

colors02.jpg

colors01.jpg