Packing Full Bottle of Shampoo/Conditioner

dm5201

I know that this may be a dumb question and I am so sorry to even ask - but I am having a brain fart..... along with shampoo/ etc can we put our hairdryers & flat irons in checked or do we need to carry it on?

I know that this may be a dumb question and I am so sorry to even ask - but I am having a brain fart..... along with shampoo/ etc can we put our hairdryers & flat irons in checked or do we need to carry it on?

Those can be checked in. Be warned that your luggage may be opened so they can check if the cords are good. Frayed cords are a fire hazard and not allowed.

I too would not bring a full sized bottle of shampoo etc...find a travel sized bottle to pour it into..or pour some out into a container at home. Why add the weight??

The longer I cruise, the more Im finding that its best to keep the weight down and pack lighter and lighter each time.

I too would not bring a full sized bottle of shampoo etc...find a travel sized bottle to pour it into..or pour some out into a container at home. Why add the weight??

The longer I cruise, the more Im finding that its best to keep the weight down and pack lighter and lighter each time.

A longer cruise? Multiple pax in the same cabin and they want to only take 1 bottle of each?

I don't carry full sized bottles of anything on a cruise. I have refillable bottles that I take and have used numerous times.

I do have to agree though, that full sized bottles weigh so much more than 3 oz. sizes, or sample sizes. My whole toiletry kit only weighs about a pound or one and a half pounds. If I took full sized bottles, it would quadruple that weight. A 3 oz. sized bottle of shampoo or conditioner would last me 3-4 weeks, but I don't overuse product like others do.

Just so you know....the ship's water is VERY soft, so you'll only need about 1/4 of the shampoo you usually use....a dab will suds and suds and suds.....if you use too much, you'll be rinsing and rinsing.....soft water causes MAJOR sudsing!!!!!!

Don't know about the cruise line you're going with, but my room had Shampoo, Conditioner and soap available in the room for the week. Not wasting space in my bag by carrying my own this time around.

Might want to check if yours is the same way!

Well, actually, my bottles are only 1/3 full, but in full size bottles.

Just make sure to squeeze all the air out of the bottles if you pack into your checked bag. Even carrying on (oops, can't do that, they only allow 3 oz. bottles :o) the air in your bottles will expand. You don't want toiletry mess all over your clothing!

Then, double bag (Ziploc) those bottles, again squeezing the air out of the bags.

Don't know about the cruise line you're going with, but my room had Shampoo, Conditioner and soap available in the room for the week. Not wasting space in my bag by carrying my own this time around.

Sorry, just can't do the mystery stuff that ships provide. If you don't care what your hair looks like, or what you smell like I suppose the provided soap is fine.

Slightly funny but off topic. We haven't used bar soap to bathe with in probably more than 30 years. We took our kids to a hotel years ago, they could not figure out what the bar of soap was in the bathroom counter. I just take the stuff provided by hotels/cruise ships and move it out of the way.

Carnival only provides Shampoo and Bath Gel. Carnival only provides conditioner is if they get samples for the cruise.

My suggestion is to try one of those travel size bottles at home and see if one would last you for a week. You may be very surprised at how little shampoo and conditioner you really use. As others above have said, all the space and weight add up.

OH, I hate that stuff they provide. Shower gel just okay. Hate the shampoo. No conditioner provided. I bring my own and I don't use much but for someone with long hair on a 15 day cruise and pre-cruise a 3 oz bottle just won't cut it for those who wash and condition every day.

OH, I hate that stuff they provide. Shower gel just okay. Hate the shampoo. No conditioner provided. I bring my own and I don't use much but for someone with long hair on a 15 day cruise and pre-cruise a 3 oz bottle just won't cut it for those who wash and condition every day.

I'm not sure which cruiseline's products you are referring to, but Celebrity's products are very nice. And they DO provide separate conditioner, as well as shampoo, bath gel, and body lotion. They are Elemis products, lemongrass scented.

Jo-Ann

I always put my flat iron in my carry-on, but that's just me. I also put bottles of shampoo, conditioner and other liquids or gels in ziplocs in case something's not sealed well.

The last time I traveled, the TSA slashed open my ziplock bag containing my shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. Fortunately, it was the return trip, as one of the bottles ended up leaking all over my clothes. :mad:

In my checked bag, will I be able to carry my full bottles of shampoo/conditioner and hairspray? Thanks!

I quit packing shampoo altogether. For the past couple of years, every cruise (cruise line) we've been on provided shampoo. I do pack conditioner in a small travel size bottle.

I repackage shampoo (don't use conditioner); body wash, hand lotion, in smaller bottles, and then discard them along the way if I use them up. And indeed, double-pack those in zip bags. The smaller sized travel bottles last longer than you think, and are cheap enough to be tossed if they're empty.

Somebody commented about how good Elemis is...I hate that stuff! Smells medicinal to me.

To each his own - As an allergy sufferer, I think the eucalyptus-scented products on Princess smell horrible, while others like them. When we drive to a port (90% of the time) I bring almost empty full sized bottles from home and toss at the end of the week. Ditto a bar of (unscented) soap from home that as about 1/4 left. I am also so crazy :p as to bring a pump bottle of anti-bacterial hand soap for the bathroom (but, again, with only a week's worth left). They all get tossed at the end of the week and I don't have to walk around saying "what's that weird smell? oh, it's me!"

HOWEVER, for the upcoming trip out of SJU that we have to fly to I am having nightmares about the toiletry situation. Since we are flying in same day I don't want to check a bag in case it doesn't arrive with me :( but the sun lotion and other girl lotions and potions needed by me and the TEEN DD seem overwhelming... Think I need a trip to the dollar store for some reusable containers!

HOWEVER, for the upcoming trip out of SJU that we have to fly to I am having nightmares about the toiletry situation. Since we are flying in same day I don't want to check a bag in case it doesn't arrive with me :( but the sun lotion and other girl lotions and potions needed by me and the TEEN DD seem overwhelming... Think I need a trip to the dollar store for some reusable containers!

Not sure when you are arriving in San Juan or which pier you are departing from but it may help you to know that since San Juan departures are late there is a CVS drug store in Old Town San Juan. You may be able to check in and then walk off and go shopping for the needed stuff.

Think I need a trip to the dollar store for some reusable containers!

If you find them at the dollar store, please post it. I have only found them in bags with about 6 bottles for over $5 for a set, most of which I dont need or want.

Archived