RCCL..The Nation of NOT!

Recently got off the NOS, and I wanted to post a few comments.

The staff I encountered aboard this ship were awful. It was as if I should have felt privileged to be aboard THEIR vessel. Specifically, the SKY Bar bartenders, Deck 8 aft cabin attendant, Excursion desk staff, among others.

Any request of staff is met with a, "no", first response. Perhaps they are not empowered to assist, or are afraid to say yes, then be overruled, but the customer experience suffers. Examples:

- Is their private Transportation/Excursions available @ Falmouth Pier? Excursion Desk...No. (There is and rates are posted on a large board, Take a left after craft market) Will save you big bucks over RCCL excursions.

- Are there any Beer specials today? Sky bar staff...No..followed by pouring your $6 beer into a plastic flute like de-carbonating drinking vessel w/out asking. I found I had to get buckets in order to not drink from plastic.

- May I have my D2 Balcony divider unlocked? RCCL Reservations, "we cannot determine." Cabin attendant, "No", followed by walk-away.

- May we put our 8 and 7/8th yr old daughter in with her 9yr old cousin in Adventure Ocean? AO staff, "We will make a determination, and let you know." Which turns out is a nice, NO..

Does NOT sound like ANY RCI ship I have ever been on. I have met a few rude staff over the years, but always a quick fix by a quick note to the Hotel Director about what happened.

I know this experience does NOT apply to all the ships. I bet some one on this same cruise will have a very different view.

I truly am sorry they did not meet your expectations. Did you let the ship know so they can fix if this really is true?

The big one, for me was the lack of assistance from the excursion desk. Beach Break tours from Falmouth were priced from $200 to $400+ for 4. Privately, we spent $80. This is an unfinished Port, They SHOULD know what the options are!

To be fair, my experiences aboard Celebrity were the exact opposite. Perhaps this is RCCL or NOS specific.

Was this your first cruise? Please keep in mind that practically all of the staff are foreigners away from their families months at a time and it will be inevitable that you will find an occasional staffer that is irritable. And there are sometimes language and cultural differences that manifest themselves in slight irritations. Try to be more friendly with them. It will go a long way.

The excursion desk is the wrong place to ask about private excursions. Private tours are available at every port, but the cruise ships are not going to promote them, let alone know anything about them. Get the information here from Cruise Critic.

What's wrong with beer being poured into a plastic tumbler? Would you want every beer drinker to have a real glass? Then leave them lying around where they can fall off tables or pool ledges, break and cause foot bleeds all over the ship? When's the last time you had a beer in a glass bottle at an NFL or baseball game?

There are rules that must be adhered to. If that means kids in the 9-11 group in AO must be between 9-11, that's the rule. It doesn't mean 8 7/8, or 8 years 364 days. If they let your 8 year old kid in, someone else will say- "well you did it for them. Why can't you let my 8 1/2 in?"

Sounds like you were bound and determined not to have a good time on your vacation, but rather tried to find fault with everything. Blow it off, especially on your vacation. Life's too short.

bob123

Recently got off the NOS, and I wanted to post a few comments.

The staff I encountered aboard this ship were awful. It was as if I should have felt privileged to be aboard THEIR vessel. Specifically, the SKY Bar bartenders, Deck 8 aft cabin attendant, Excursion desk staff, among others.

Any request of staff is met with a, "no", first response. Perhaps they are not empowered to assist, or are afraid to say yes, then be overruled, but the customer experience suffers. Examples:

- Is their private Transportation/Excursions available @ Falmouth Pier? Excursion Desk...No. (There is and rates are posted on a large board, Take a left after craft market) Will save you big bucks over RCCL excursions.

- Are there any Beer specials today? Sky bar staff...No..followed by pouring your $6 beer into a plastic flute like de-carbonating drinking vessel w/out asking. I found I had to get buckets in order to not drink from plastic.

- May I have my D2 Balcony divider unlocked? RCCL Reservations, "we cannot determine." Cabin attendant, "No", followed by walk-away.

- May we put our 8 and 7/8th yr old daughter in with her 9yr old cousin in Adventure Ocean? AO staff, "We will make a determination, and let you know." Which turns out is a nice, NO..

We tried "the other guys" once..It was like being in a stuffy hotel. We always go on Carnival now (They are the fun ships). Before yall slam me..I know everyone has their own favorites...But the staff didnt seem as friendly and yes, I have had problems on Carnival..nothing will ever be perfecct..but I will pick the funships anyday!

The big one, for me was the lack of assistance from the excursion desk. Beach Break tours from Falmouth were priced from $200 to $400+ for 4. Privately, we spent $80. This is an unfinished Port, They SHOULD know what the options are!

quote]

Perhaps they should, but please remember that this is a new port for the ship and its personnel as well and the information might not be as readily available to them as you might think. Give them a few months to get used to the port and if they are still as unresponsive your criticism might have more legitimacy. I'm not sure I would expect the Explorations staff to be as familiar with tours offered by private operators as with those offered through the ship, and they might be wary of speaking about those tours with which they are unfamiliar and running the risk of being accused of endorsing them and blamed for any shortcomings you might find with the private tour.

Sometimes, NO is an answer and the convoluted way that some people have of trying to avoid saying it, can be even more irritating than a simple rejection.

We have been on Navigator 4 times and have had exactly the opposite of this posters experience. One of the trips we took our grandchildren along (9 and 11) and I can fully understand that the Children's programs must split children up by age. We had not taken our grandchildren along previously as they would have to be separated into different groups (8 and 10 or 7 and 9)

We were in two balcony cabins with a connecting door and we did ask whether the balcony door could be opened and we were told that it was the Captains decision and was not permitted on Navigator. We didn't really undertsand it but accepted it as a condition of cruising on the Navigator. We certainly did not try to change it.

I fully understand the use of plastic drinking glasses in the pool area. I have seen many cut feet due to broken glass!!!.

It is certainly unreasoable to expect the guest services desk to promote off cruise line excursions. I can imagine the lawsuits that could result from an accident or late arrival back at the ship from one of these excursions. Sure you can save money but you do take risks.

In all of our trips on Navigator we have found the crew to be very pleasant from the main dining room to the cabin and bar staff.

Sorry to hear your cruise experiance wasnt up to your expectations , i am coming in at your defence here , having sailed twice with RCI we found that our Navigator cruise was not as friendly as our Freedom cruise , dont get me wrong we enjoyed both cruises but we noticed a differance . Our first cruise was on Navigator around the Med and the one thing that i noticed was that the dining room staff were quite abrupt , i would leave the MDR still peckish because i didnt feel comfortable about ordering any extras . The Freedom cruise seemed so much more relaxed , our dining staff were friendly and i got to try out different foods by feeling comfortable in ordering two starters or two desserts ,this time i left the table pleasantly full .All around the ship staff would smile and say hello and were definately more pleasant , it did make for a nicer cruise . I can understand what the poster is getting at , if he had been dealt with in a more appropriate manner he probably would have had a different perspective of his cruising experiance . Dont flame me ( i am british ) but i have heard that the crew have a different attitude with european cruises as they themselves arent treated so well , i did witness a lot of rudeness on our Med cruise , people would walk up to a bar and demand drinks , no please or thank you , i really felt for some of the staff , it obviously rubbed off on them , maybe thats why the dining staff were not so friendly , i am always polite and friendly but i was ashamed at some behaviour towards the crew members on board the Navigator .

To be fair, my experiences aboard Celebrity were the exact opposite. Perhaps this is RCCL or NOS specific.

Actually no they shouldn't. Their job is to managed excursions sold through the ship. They do not and have no reason to try and keep up with all of the options that others might offer. Also those private offerings happen to be in competition with the excursion the ship is offering. Do you ask Marriott what the rates are for the Hilton across the street?

On all of the cruise lines I have been on (which is pretty much all of them) the most information you might get from an excursion desk is "There may be tours offered by private firms, but we do not have any information and use of such firms is not encouraged. If you do choose to take part in such tours it is your responsibility to be back to the ship in time for its scheduled departure"

Which is pretty much the quote I got on Celebrity Infinity a few years ago when I asked if they had any information about local offerings.

A few notes, This was not my first cruise.

- I was ordering a beer from the SKY bar, not POOL bar.

- I was on a cruise, not @ a baseball game.

- If RCCL is Porting @ Falmouth, THEY MUST know what their cruisers options are! The private transportation was available WITHIN their security fence.

- Want to bring wine, soda, water aboard RCCL? NOT!

- Price drop adjustments, NOT!

- 14 carat jewelry pitched over the PA system? Nation of WHY NOT!

This is not the same RCCL.

- If RCCL is Porting @ Falmouth, THEY MUST know what their cruisers options are! The private transportation was available WITHIN their security fence.

Can't address the beer issue. Why must they know what tour/transportation options exist beyond the ones they are offering???? Totally don't understand that. It was up to you to do your homework - obviously you have a computer.

OK, you can't bring wine, soda, water aboard and no longer can get price drop adjustments - but you knew that going into the trip and didn't have to book if you didn't agree with these policies. Now is not the time to complain.

Jewelry being pitched over the PA? What cruiseline doesn't pitch something - bingo, art, etc.?

They might, but I would never expect them to tell a guest about cheaper alternatives with their competition. They might even get in trouble for doing so.

After the first beer was poured into the unthinkable plastic glass, I would have from then on, when ordering said beer, request it either unopened, or left in can. They dont read minds, you need to tell them what you like.

Was this your first cruise? Please keep in mind that practically all of the staff are foreigners away from their families months at a time and it will be inevitable that you will find an occasional staffer that is irritable. And there are sometimes language and cultural differences that manifest themselves in slight irritations. Try to be more friendly with them. It will go a long way.

The excursion desk is the wrong place to ask about private excursions. Private tours are available at every port, but the cruise ships are not going to promote them, let alone know anything about them. Get the information here from Cruise Critic.

What's wrong with beer being poured into a plastic tumbler? Would you want every beer drinker to have a real glass? Then leave them lying around where they can fall off tables or pool ledges, break and cause foot bleeds all over the ship? When's the last time you had a beer in a glass bottle at an NFL or baseball game?

There are rules that must be adhered to. If that means kids in the 9-11 group in AO must be between 9-11, that's the rule. It doesn't mean 8 7/8, or 8 years 364 days. If they let your 8 year old kid in, someone else will say- "well you did it for them. Why can't you let my 8 1/2 in?"

Sounds like you were bound and determined not to have a good time on your vacation, but rather tried to find fault with everything. Blow it off, especially on your vacation. Life's too short.

bob123

Ya know while I agree with most of your points, I take exception to #1- frankly, there is NEVER a good excuse to be irritable with customers if you are in the hospitality industry. Missing their families? Suck it up buttercups! It's the career they chose, and hospitality in particular is a career that demands a smile and a willingness to please even when you are having a grumpy on the inside day.

To bastardize the old hair club for men.... I'm not just a client, I'm also a former hospitality worker.

- I was ordering a beer from the SKY bar, not POOL bar. it doesn't matter what bar you order from, if it's outside or you can walk away with a drink it's plastic. You would be complaining if people left glass cups everywhere.

- I was on a cruise, not @ a baseball game. it was an example

- If RCCL is Porting @ Falmouth, THEY MUST know what their cruisers options are! The private transportation was available WITHIN their security fence. if you had your own product would you tell your customers about a similar product that they could ave for cheaper else where and you lose possible $$$?

- Want to bring wine, soda, water aboard RCCL? NOT! I dont see the point of doing this to be honest

- Price drop adjustments, NOT!Never had one and not really fussed if I don't get one, wouldn't put me off cruising

- 14 carat jewelry pitched over the PA system? Nation of WHY NOT! they are trying to sell stuff, I personally never hear them or i just don't pay attention

CK x

Does NOT sound like ANY RCI ship I have ever been on.

Since the OP mentioned the Sky Bar, the only rudeness I've ever experienced was trying to get a soft drink refill at the pool bar. If I spend a day a the pool and hit the bar for softdrink refills, I always leaved a tip, but a couple of times I did get some annoyed looks.

The OP also did mention the balcony dividers. I hear some confliciting stories about this all the time, and maybe this is one place RCI could make a definitive statement.

That withstanding, I don't get the soft drink package anymore and I've only traveled with another couple once where we wanted the divider removed.

Sorry that the excursion desk didn't help you to find independent excursions not sponsored by the RCI excursion desk.

I'm sorry that the AO staff, in their judgment, didn't think that your daughter was ready to move up to the next age group.

I'm sorry that you were unaware that they only serve drinks in plasticware in open-deck areas.

That's pretty much the way things are on RCI. Sounds like it's not for you.

Just back from our 2nd time on Voyager of the Seas. We had just the opposite experience. The crew and staff was the greatest of any cruise ever. They were exceptionally nice and curteous and eager fulfill our every desire. They were just what cruising "used" to be! For example, they were happy to refill our sodas at any and every bar. No one was pushing, and everyone catered to us. They were genuinely nice and helpful in every situation. For us, RC is the nation of "Whatever you want!" We would stick with them exclusively if they had more options near us.

Since the OP mentioned the Sky Bar, the only rudeness I've ever experienced was trying to get a soft drink refill at the pool bar. If I spend a day a the pool and hit the bar for softdrink refills, I always leaved a tip, but a couple of times I did get some annoyed looks.

The OP also did mention the balcony dividers. I hear some confliciting stories about this all the time, and maybe this is one place RCI could make a definitive statement.

That withstanding, I don't get the soft drink package anymore and I've only traveled with another couple once where we wanted the divider removed.

From what I have read on here many times, "it is up to the Captains of the ships" as to whether the balcony dividers can be opened or not.

So RCCL can not make a definitive statement on here unless they ask the Captain of his ship. :D

Look, Falmouth is a New Port. There is little to no info on it available. For this very reason, A RCCL excursion employee not knowing everything about it is inexcusable, even for a RCCL apologist.

My general thesis is that there is a not so subtle shift in the RCCL experience. One caused by what I believe is the need to further increase revenue. To offset costs associated with the Allure and the Oasis? I dunno. Who here wouldn't prefer to see a simple grill station and bar/beverage area where Johnny Rockets is? Deck 12 side/aft. This place was EMPTY! Yet Rccl ships continue to add REV generating dining space. What happens? Windjammer gets even more jammed.

I just want to correct a misconception: You absolutely CAN get price adjustments. If it is within 48 hours of booking, then you get 110% back. Then, up to final payment, you get the regular price adjustment to your balance due. After final payment, they no longer give price adjustments, however you can upgrade your cabin if a higher category in now less that you paid for the lower one. The no price adjustment after final payment policy is consistant with all the mainstream cruiselines.

It's been our experience that the balcony dividers can only be opened at the discretion of the captain. We've sailed on Mariner twice, and their official policy is to only open dividers between connecting cabins (not merely adjacent ones).

As for Adventure Ocean, they are pretty strict about the age groups, especially on sailings with a lot of kids. I don't see why this is a problem - it is unfair to the other kids onboard to have some kids switch. I wouldn't want my kid to be in a group with kids that are much younger, or much older, than them.

Wow, now I'm concerned. Sailing Monday on Navigator for a 5-night cruise. We are diamond members and have sailed RCI quite a number of times and while some people were having a "bad moment" most were helpful and pleasant. I hope they read "Chart" and improve their attitude by Monday. I was going to ask how the weather in the Caribbean was? :)

Look, Falmouth is a New Port. There is little to no info on it available. For this very reason, A RCCL excursion employee not knowing everything about it is inexcusable, even for a RCCL apologist.

I understand that you feel this way, but I don't think you're right. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask the excursion desk for information about non-ship-sponsored excursions. Since you were obviously disappointed, "why not" just ask the Loyalty Ambassador about booking your next Carnival cruise? ;)

Archived