How much noise do you hear

Bradpinksc

We have rooms one door away from the elevator and steps on Empress deck of the Fantsay..mid ship. How much noise will we get. also I think we are under some of the galley. sure wish I had read some of these posts before I booked those rooms. We just thought it would be nice to be near the elevator.

The first time we booked a room by the elevator and stairs I was a little worried about any noise. Turns out I was worried for nothing. Didn't notice any noise at all. Now we always book by the elevator. It's really nice to get off the elevator and be at your cabin. Really appreciated it when we have those "gotta run back to the cabin - I forgot something" events! ;)

Now, as far as for being under the galley, I can't comment on that one!

All the equipment for an elevator that makes noise is located at the bottom, so the only noise you will here are people getting on and off. The galley will depend on which one your under. Pizza is 24 hours, some of the others are only during the day.

By the looks of the deck plans we are under the main galley. I am an early riser so the mornings don't matter to me but midnight is a different story.

The one time we were under the galley on the Paradise, I would hear what sounded like 1 tray being dropped on the floor every night around 4am. Other than that 1 tray, never heard another sound.

I agree with the above poster that said that they didn't hear any noise from the elevators, but from the people talking very loudly when they got off and walked passed the cabin.

This is good to know. I avoid being near elevators in small motels/ hotels like the plague. If a few floors they are hydraulic with the pump in the basement or just below the lowest floor. If more than 6-7 floors they use cables and roof mounted motors.If my room is near the pump area usually I hear the hydraulic pump motor cycling on and off and once it gets in your head you wonder if it will ever stop. And in some establishments the thing never does, goes on all night. And if the passengers are noisy, well it's request a new room or earplugs.

Anyway on the Inspiration we are about 4 rooms away from the elevator on main mid deck so we shall see what the noise level (machinery and passengers) is like. I prefer stairs in any case to burn off the calories and save time.

We've had a cabin near the elevators a few times and never had a problem with noise. It is a convenient location. If you are a light sleeper and are concerned about noise, maybe it would be a good idea to take along some of those soft foam ear plugs....just in case. It would be a very cheap investment that might come in handy.

We were on empress deck on the Fascination (identical to Fantasy). We were in an inside that shared a wall with the art gallery (E112). We were under the mid ship MDR. We heard a revolving door sound above us every night until 10:30 or so. It was very faint and with the TV on we couldn't hear it. We had a lot of people noise where we were...mostly during the day when we were napping (or trying to)...so no biggie...but did hear a lot of people noise and a shuffling/banging noise late into the last night on the ship. There was a little steward door right next to my cabin as well and I heard that frequently, but never noticed it from 10pm-8am. It was probbly the noisiest location we've had on our 3 CCL cruises. We brought a sound machine (had an alarm clock on it) and I'd put on ocean sounds when we were napping, but still could hear people walking by (talking loudly and kids crying) and cabin doors slamming...it was a steady flow. If you don't nap during the day...it won't be a problem...except for the last night, it was fairly quiet from 11pm-8am. Look up your cabin in comparison to where mine was. I think it was from folks walking from atrium to aft.

I've never been under the galley so I can't help you there.

But, I've been near the elevator. Never heard any elevator noises, not even a ding.

Once in awhile you'll have a group of pax coming back from late night partying. They like to hang out at the elevators for a few minutes laughing and talking loudly. It's annoying for only a few minutes.

We usually dont worry about where our cabin is because we used to bring a small fan to drown out noise. I read a while back they were trying to get people to stop bringing them. Closer to our cruise, I will start looking into it. We sleep with a fan on at our house even during the coldest nights of the winter. We just have trouble sleeping without it.

We love the convenience of being near an elevator and have never had a noise problem. I have read about noise under the galley, but I would think it would matter which part you were under. Have a wonderful cruise!

Never get a cabin under the galley! Years ago on the Imagination our cabin was under the galley and your right Rosefloater, 3-4am woken up by carts moving and dropping of plates and footsteps it was horrible! This is the one thing I do first in deciding which deck and my cabin I want is to check the restaurants/galley above and under me, I stay far away!

I have to say whether you hear noise from the elevators depends upon if there is an alcove (like around the corner from your stateroom or a wall dividing your stateroom and the elevators) but I would never choose a cabin near the elevator for that reason. I would definately imagine many especially on Carnival (I am one myself to stay up till 2am) will get to their cabins late during the night and some will be in groups and there has got to be talking and noise! Also kids run up and down hallways to the elevators...the only good thing is an elderly person or somebody who needs assistance, or has trouble walking or a medical problem of some type should be near elevator to avoid all the walking. (my opinion) I never choose a cabin near elevator perhaps about 12 cabins away would be a nice medium. Another thing to consider is when your at port you will get many that wake up early am to eat so they can run off the ship and they use the elevators to get to the breakfast/lido deck and to get to the bottom deck to disembark on the islands. It may just be too noisey.

While on subject, Carnival cabin stewards ALWAYS wakes me up early am from 7:30-8:15 with the cabin stewards talking across the halls to one another, that darn vacuum going that early am!!!!! I believe they purposly do this so they can get you up and get you out of your cabin so they can clean...because when they are done cleaning they get to get off the ship themselves in port and they also get off after they finish. There should be a time when they can start that darn vacuum I say 9am is sufficient and polite...this just reminds me of another reason why I love other cruise lines, these things just not happen that early am. Now you can say perhaps it was just that one cruise or two but its every cruise! I even have staterooms far in the front of the ship to avoid many people talking/walking by. Those cabins stewards need to learn ethics and respect to its passengers!

Never get a cabin under the galley!

Years ago on the Imagination our cabin was under the galley and your right Rosefloater,

3-4 a.m. woken up by carts moving and dropping of plates and footsteps it was horrible!

This is the one thing I do first in deciding which deck and my cabin I want is

to check the restaurants/galley above and under me, I stay far away!

On Destiny we had an interior that backed onto Galley area,

and we heard freezer doors banging and pipes clanging ..some nights. :cool:

Not cool, but you live and learn.

If you can afford the lil extra money for an Ocean View just across the hallway DO IT,

if only for the peace and quiet.

Having said that (and learned little? LOL)

we are booked in another interior, soon

and have just checked the deck plans for Victory at URL..

http://www.carnival.com//Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=VI&deckCode=3

to discover we're in luck and are under a Dining Rm rather than the galley

so it shouldn't be too bad at all.

We have rooms one door away from the elevator and steps on Empress deck of the Fantsay..mid ship. How much noise will we get. also I think we are under some of the galley. sure wish I had read some of these posts before I booked those rooms. We just thought it would be nice to be near the elevator.

Our room was back to back with the elevator bank on the Dream and we NEVER HEARD A SOUND from them.

Don't worry! The only sounds you might hear are people getting on and off and talking too loud sometimes, but we never really heard that, either.

We were across the hall from the main doors near the elevator and stairs on the Freedom. Aside from Madison who apparently would not open the door for her Mother "Maadisonnnn .. open the dooooor" We heard the entertainment in the lobby which did go late into the night for private functions a couple times.

The elevator itself we never heard.

ear plugs helped blockout a very out of key "youuuu liiiight up my liiiii-ife..."

We've been on the Empress 150 - 160 ocean view port side area on the Ecstasy and Elation four times, and I think this will be the last time. As previously mentioned, a lot of banging like people dropping trays about five in the morning, and the last time I swear we were under a giant mixing machine, it would run from about four until seven in the morning, would just grind away.

Last cruise was an interior on the main deck, no noise above this time but the noise from our fellow guests between 11 and 3 in the morning was irritating in the extreme.

I don't hear much when I'm sleeping....like most experienced travelers, I always bring earplugs.

2 cruises ago I bought the earplugs they sell on the ship...they didn't help (there was some dragging/bowling sound above me every AM from 6:30ish-7:15ish that would wake me up). They were rubber flap type that you needed to trim and I hadn't brought scissors. So, OP might want to buy them at home and bring them.

While on subject, Carnival cabin stewards ALWAYS wakes me up early am from 7:30-8:15 with the cabin stewards talking across the halls to one another, that darn vacuum going that early am!!!!!

Another time we were in an aft cabin,(#257) Empress deck on the Paradise. Across the hall is a storage room for the soft drinks for the cabins. Every morning, we would hear the clanging of cans.:mad:

Another time we were in an aft cabin,(#257) Empress deck on the Paradise.

Across the hall is a storage room for the soft drinks for the cabins.

Every morning, we would hear the clanging of cans.:mad:

Doesn't Carnival train its staff in the simple methodologies of working quietly?

Aren't they aware of noise pollution in a guest setting?

Surely this couldn't take much training!

It's such a simple thing to achieve, at so little cost(if any).

Archived