Airport to Eiffel Tower-enough time?

sharonax3

I will have a 7 hr layover at CDG on my way to Rome. Do you think that is enough time to to a catch a train? to have a look see of the Eiffel Tower? We will be there about 8:00 am on a Saturday this May.We will not have to get our luggage as we are ticketed straight thru to Rome

About how far is the airport from the Eiffel Tower.

Thanks so much for your help...

The safest way would be a taxi but I believe it would take about 1 hour each way. Did you want to go inside? That can be pretty time consuuming, best bet would be to have a reservation but I still think it could take an hour or two to go inside and to the top.

We are staying at a hotel near the tower this June and we are taking the Roissybus to Opera and than the metro. This is one of the least expensive ways to get there.

Kirk

Thank you for the info. I don't necessarily need to go inside, but just to view would be okay and maybe grab something to eat and then back to the airport.

For some reason I thought the airport would be much closer. lol

I was hoping to be able to take the subway because I think it might be faster?

I will have a 7 hr layover at CDG on my way to Rome. Do you think that is enough time to to a catch a train? to have a look see of the Eiffel Tower? We will be there about 8:00 am on a Saturday this May.We will not have to get our luggage as we are ticketed straight thru to Rome. About how far is the airport from the Eiffel Tower. Thanks so much for your help...

Kirk makes the key point that, with your very limited time, that a taxi might be your best, potential option.

It is not so much the distance between de Gaulle airport and central Paris. It is all about . . . TIME!!?? Your plane might land at 8 am, but then there is the time when and if you are outside of the terminal AFTER your plane has parked, unloaded, you have walked the long corridors, gotten through customs, etc., etc. This is a massive airport and you might not be clear and ready to get a taxi until 8:30 or 8:45 am. Then, there is traffic to Paris. Things might move smoothly and it could only take 45 minutes from the airport to the heart of Paris. Maybe! Or, congestion, accidents or construction can slow that schedule. Then you need to get back to the airport, go through security and be there maybe an hour or two ahead of your departure time.

It could work, but there are timing risks/factors to consider. Your overall seven hour layover is a gross, overall time potential. Your net, net time for central Paris might really be an hour or two. Maybe it is worth the effort and cost. Maybe not. It's a personal choice. If you have not been to Paris, then a small sampler might be worth it. I would look at the main map of Paris and have a list for where you want your cab driver to pass enroute to the Eiffel Tower. I would not get out there, but you could have more of the "drive around" to see added parts of this charming and historic town. Maybe a slight parking where you get out of the cab, maybe near the Seine River, soak up the air, see the views of Notre Dame, etc. Maybe grab a quick bakery item, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,200 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thank you for the info. I don't necessarily need to go inside, but just to view would be okay and maybe grab something to eat and then back to the airport.

For some reason I thought the airport would be much closer. lol

I was hoping to be able to take the subway because I think it might be faster?

Here are some Trip Advisor threads that I think should help you make up your mind.

I think the advice to be back 3 hours early is good advice.

I also think the advice to go to St Michel train station and just see around the Notre Dame area and then go back is very sound.

I would also say that you keep an open mind on following your plans and so if your inward plane was just a tad late, then abandon your plans and visit Paris some other time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k1807204-l11047686-DeGaulle_Lay_over_Help-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#11047686

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k717980-4_hour_lay_over_in_Paris_is_it_possible_to-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k1007651-l6045313-7_hours_enough_CDG_to_Paris-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#6045313

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k3926577-l28534467-Paris_6_hour_layover-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#28534467

For some reason I thought the airport would be much closer. lol I was hoping to be able to take the subway because I think it might be faster?

The Metro is faster, BUT . . . !!!

It takes time in the large collection of de Gaulle terminals to get to that station and wait for a train that is going in. Then, you'll have to change trains and go to another station in order to be a the Eiffel Tower within central Paris. It's all about the logistics!!! It is not as simple and quick in real life versus on a paper map. With a cab, that ride gives you a "visual sampler" for the various sights and sites in the great city as you are move around main Paris.

Below are a few visual samples for what you can see in Paris.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,200 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The Eiffel Tower with a statute in the foreground. This picture is from the Trocadéro, site of the Palais de Chaillot, that provides a great view of the Eiffel Tower and these scenic parts of Paris.:

EilfelStatue.jpg

In Paris, along the Seine, this is a view of the Louvre from the d’Orsay Museum:

ParRiverLouvre.jpg

Looking at Notre Dame, this angle shows the flying buttresses supporting the walls:

ParNtDmFlyingBt.jpg

In the historic Marais area, here are some of the many interesting doors.:

ParDoorsMarais.jpg

This is one scenic part of the large park grounds around Luxembourg Palace:

ParLuxGardens.jpg

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805: :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

I will have a 7 hr layover at CDG on my way to Rome. Do you think that is enough time to to a catch a train? to have a look see of the Eiffel Tower? We will be there about 8:00 am on a Saturday this May.We will not have to get our luggage as we are ticketed straight thru to Rome

Yes that is plenty of time...It takes about 45 minutes each way to the central part(s) of Paris...Just do a little research for the train/metro system beforehand...

A simple google search can help...Here's a detailed set of directions to get you started:

LINK: Paris by Train

thank you so much. After seeing the pictures, it only makes me more determined. I am going to try using the train. If something starts to go wrong, I will abandon my plans and return to the airport..

Again thank you alll for the helpful comments and advice

Terry beat me to it actually, the best place from which to see the Tour Eiffel is from the Trocadero on the hill across the river. If you take a taxi you can also get a quick look at the Arc du Triomphe then have the driver circle the place d'etoille head down the Champs Elysee and go through the Concorde and down to Notre Dame. Then go to the Opera Garnier (the Phantom of the Opera Operahouse) and have lunch From there you can catch the Roissy bus back to CDG and on you go to Roma!

looking at the times more carefully 8:00 arrival CDG best guess 9:00 at taxi stand in center city by 9:45 2 hours to see what I laid out (make deal with driver you do not have time for metro) You need to be back to CDG by 1 to be sure to wind through security etc. so leave Paris by 12:15 -12:30 latest. You do not have time for a "proper" lunch but if you start by11:15-11:30 you should be able to have a quick one. Food comes slower in France and your insisting on fast service may be counterproductive. I would amend my prior instruction and taxi back. Yes, that adds another $50 to the cost of this but it makes it not only possible but approaching a taste of Paris. There are good cafes at the Opera including the iconic Cafe de la Paix.

thank you so much. After seeing the pictures, it only makes me more determined. I am going to try using the train. If something starts to go wrong, I will abandon my plans and return to the airport..

Again thank you alll for the helpful comments and advice

Hello,

DH and I will be doing a similar whirlwind tour of Paris during our 7 hour layover on a Saturday in May before flying on the Venice. We were really concerned about timing and whether to take the train or a taxi and decided to do a private tour with a guide and driver. We're being picked up at the airport, whisked off to meet the tour guide, then back to the airport for our flight after a short stop for lunch near the Eiffel Tower. It's a bit expensive, but we're willing to spend a few more $$$ because we're determined to see Paris while we're there, but do not want want to risk missing our connection. If you'd like more information let me know and I'll provide additional information.

Baderry

Me? If I had a 7-hour layover in Paris I would absolutely go into town. Even just to stand in the center of town for an hour is worth jumping through hoops. Luckily, the hoops aren't that bad. You've got a safe an efficient train running from the airport to smack down in the center of tourist heaven.

Sample Itinerates (obviously requires more planning that just reading this... but to give you an idea of what is possible.)

You can take the RER "B" train (blue on maps) direct from CDG to St Michel-Norte Dame.

At that point, you have a choice. If you are worn out from flying, or running at all late, get out and look around. Take pictures of the cathedral (you are right there) possibly from one of the bridges. Soak up the atmosphere. Get a bite to eat from a street vender. After a bit, head back to airport on train. You won't have a great view of the Eiffel Tower from there - mostly just the top - but you'll be able to say you saw it.

Hopefully, you'll be feeling good and not rushed for time. Instead of coming out at Notre Dame, transfer and take a train to the Eiffel Tower. It's about a 2.5 mile walk from there back to St Michel-Notre Dame. An absolutely glorious walk along the Seine river. If you get tired, there are several options to take a train back to Notre Dame. From there, you take the train back to airport.

Thank you all so much for the info.So many great suggestions and ideas. I am definetly going . We will use the train and hope for the best. I am sure it will be an adventure and I can't resist a chance to see a teeny bit of Paris.

Sharon

Thank you all so much for the info.So many great suggestions and ideas. I am definetly going . We will use the train and hope for the best. I am sure it will be an adventure and I can't resist a chance to see a teeny bit of Paris.

Sharon

Just another suggestion which may work for you. We are going to be in Paris next month and are going to use a tour guide who gives walking tours of downtown Paris and covers most of the highlights. Great reviews on trip advisor and she has been very prompt in responding. Her name is Karen and her company is www.sightseekersdelight.com She may even be able to arrange transport for you from the airport. To me much safer then depending on trains (which strike with no notice) and taking a chance on missing your connection.:D Good luck whatever you decide to do!

I would definately go. And I would take the RER to St. Michel-Notre Dam.

It seems to me that there can sometimes be a lineup to purchase RER tickets. There are ticket machines but I seem to recall that they do not take bills or credit cards. This may have changed....others will have more up to date info than me.

I would definately go. And I would take the RER to St. Michel-Notre Dam.

It seems to me that there can sometimes be a lineup to purchase RER tickets. There are ticket machines but I seem to recall that they do not take bills or credit cards. This may have changed....others will have more up to date info than me.

I remember a long queue to get a travel card when we arrived at about 10 am. I passed through CDG later in the day on another day and the queue was non-existent. However if the OP wants to make the best use of the time, she should already have Euro. I am sure that the machine took cards (with 4 figure pin) - but failing that it would have to have taken notes.

Although the OP had intended to see the Eiffel tower, it is a longer journey than simply getting to Notre Dame area. I like the idea of going to St Michel and just strolling around that area - going inside the Notre Dame, walking along the Seine, watching how long it takes you to walk that direction and then when you have used up 50 % of your time in Paris -walk back - a bit quicker this way.

US cards do not (or didn't last time I tried) work in the ticket machines as they like many automated machines (but not ATMs) use the new design card not used in the US.

As to strolling the Seine. the left bank from Pont de l'Alma to the area across from the tour eiffel is the prettiest river walk along that strectch. Similarly on that side walking through the Tuillieries.

We also have a 7 hour lay-over and I was wondering the same question.....but there is one difference. We don't have a connecting flight, but rather a train from CDG to the South of France. Are there lockers near the CDG train station for us to stowe our 4 pieces of luggage after clearing airport customs? I assume upon returning to CDG from Paris we will just catch our train without having to go through any airport security, right? That would eliminate the need for us to be back there 3 hours prior to departure. Is there a separate train staion for RER and ones that do the long hauls? Is it all located @ terminal 2? Thank you everyone, you may have "saved the day" for us!

• 4 weeks later...

I would second the suggestion to the Take the RER B line from CDG and get off at St Michel station. That will put you right down in the heart of Paris, on the Siene, in the latin quarter, next to Notre Dame. It will give you quick taste of Paris. As noted above, it's probably a 45 train ride. But along the B line there are some trains that make less stops, express trains, that might even save a little more time.

Make sure you err on the side of giving yourself enough time to get back to the airport, thru security, ect.

there are trains that are right at the airport, I'd use that at least one way to save money. You'll have 5 hours respectively. You may need to be there 2 hours before the flight. So you could easily do a little walk around Paris. Don't bother trying to climb the Eiffel Tower- there is always a line but you'll love Paris! I think you'll have time enough to do the hop-on-hop off bus and this is a great way to see the city... up high in an open air double decker bus.

Archived