Just thinking ahead! Crying Baby?

My daughter and her husband are planning on getting pregnant soon:D. We don't want to be one of those parents/ Grandparents that ruin someones vacation with a crying baby? So my question is.... if the baby was to cry at night in the cabin were is the best place on the ship to take the baby at night until he/she settles down. :eek:

My daughter and her husband are planning on getting pregnant soon:D. We don't want to be one of those parents/ Grandparents that ruin someones vacation with a crying baby? So my question is.... if the baby was to cry at night in the cabin were is the best place on the ship to take the baby at night until he/she settles down. :eek:

How thoughtful! I'm afraid I'm no help except to say that I sure would have appreciated it if an adult were able to quiet the crying baby throughout the night on a cruise I was on. Kudos to you for your consideration. :)

Congrats to your daughter and son-in-law! I'm sorry I am sort-of a newbie so I can't answer your question, but I wasn't sure if you knew that an infant needs to be at least 6 months old to sail and at that point they are usually a bit less fussy and on more of a regular sleep schedule too so that may help. Good luck to you! :)

Congrats to your daughter and son-in-law! I'm sorry I am sort-of a newbie so I can't answer your question, but I wasn't sure if you knew that an infant needs to be at least 6 months old to sail and at that point they are usually a bit less fussy and on more of a regular sleep schedule too so that may help. Good luck to you! :)

I'm a going to be a newbie Grandma....but I do remember that after six months the baby does sleep better, until they start cutting their first tooth

Even though we all know that the walls of a cabin aren't thick, we've either been very lucky or slept very soundly. We've never once been disturbed by a baby crying. We've been disturbed by some teens who were roaming the halls in the middle of the night, slamming into the cabin doors. That's about all that's ever disturbed us. I think you'll be able to get the baby to quiet down without disturbing other passengers. During our first cruise, my Grandson was only about two. The muster drill upset him and he was wailing all the way down the hall. He continued to wail at our muster station. Two newly-wed couples were near us and we overhead one young man lean over and ask his new bride if she was sure she took her birth control pill that morning. He probably proved to be a great birth control to several nearby couples. We were horribly embarrassed, but sometimes it's just out of your control.

I think I would look forward to her getting pregnant first. And then look forward to a healthy mom and baby nine months later.:) Then I would worry about successfully taking the baby on a cruise. ;)

How true. You wouldn't be cruising with a baby for at least a year.

How true. You wouldn't be cruising with a baby for at least a year.

Exactly. Even if she got pregnant today, there'd be 40 weeks plus 6 months till they'd cruise with the baby. And I myself have never heard a baby crying through the walls. The worst noise was from four drunk bimbos from Iowa

I know we won't be cruising for awhile, but I'm so excited. :). I'm going to start buying baby clothes with anchors on it. And pampers cruisers diapers.:D

Have you considered waiting until your daughter has announced she's pregnant before buying stuff?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but not everyone gets pregnant as soon as they start trying. It took a close friend of mine over three years to get pregnant, and if her mother had been buying baby clothes and diapers during that time it would have only added to her stress.

As for your original question, best place for a crying baby is in the cabin.

I wish you many happy cruises with your future grandchildren...but I think you're getting ahead of yourself in the planning ;)

Have you considered waiting until your daughter has announced she's pregnant before buying stuff?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but not everyone gets pregnant as soon as they start trying. It took a close friend of mine over three years to get pregnant, and if her mother had been buying baby clothes and diapers during that time it would have only added to her stress.

I wish you many happy cruises with your future grandchildren...but I think you're getting ahead of yourself in the planning ;)

Excellent post! I agree with you!

I am very excited for you. :) I know that just thinking about becoming a Grandma is a very happy and exciting time for you. I personally feel that your enthusiasm for sharing your love of cruising with your yet to be conceived Grandchild is great!! So many kids have Grandparents who have little interest in interacting and sharing experiences with them, and I think that your Grandbaby is going to be blessed!

To those of you who felt the need to rain on the parade of this excited Grandma To Be - you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. What harm does it do for her to be thinking ahead and looking forward to something down the road. I mean how many of you have countdown clocks on your posts for your next cruise? Looking forward to a brand new human being to share your life with is a lot more important then your next holiday. IMHO.

What harm does it do for her to be thinking ahead and looking forward to something down the road. I mean how many of you have countdown clocks on your posts for your next cruise? Looking forward to a brand new human being to share your life with is a lot more important then your next holiday.

Well, she IS jumping the gun. It's like saying, "My son is getting is married this year and he and his wife might get a dog next year. I'm looking forward to watching it when they go on vacation but I wouldn't want the barking to disturb the neighbors...what should I do?" :rolleyes:

A balcony would be a great place to bring a crying baby. I would also prepare to give your daughter-in-law the name of a good lactation consultant and/or a La Leche League leader in her area. Breastfeeding is usually a sure-fire way to quiet a crying baby.

Otherwise, celebrate your enthusiasm and enjoy your future family.

I totally agree... I know several women online who post about how their mothers or mothers in law pressure them with the baby thing, and how awful it is- especially if they find it isn't as easy as they thought it would be.

Then again I knew better than to tell my mom when we started trying, lol, because I KNEW she'd be one of "those mothers".

This is exactly what I was going to say! Please, please, please don't get ahead of yourself on this. You do not know what could happen! And if she knows you're already buying stuff.....that only adds to the stress of getting pregnant. We never know of any problems we may have until we try and get pregnant. There are so many of us women out here who never knew we had any female medical problems until we got pregnant, had a miscarriage and then went on to find out we can't get pregnant again. Very heartbreaking!!

Please let them decide when they want to start and then get pregnant before you start to invest in Babies-R-us stock.....LOL!!

A balcony would be a great place to bring a crying baby. I would also prepare to give your daughter-in-law the name of a good lactation consultant and/or a La Leche League leader in her area. Breastfeeding is usually a sure-fire way to quiet a crying baby.

Otherwise, celebrate your enthusiasm and enjoy your future family.

Sorry, but nothing, not even breastfeeding helps colic.

Archived