Can we take a case of wine onboard?

cruisingallover

We have taken several bottles of wine in our carry on in the past but this time would like to take a case. I do not have room to put it in our carry on this time. Can we just put a luggage tag on the box and hope it arrives in our cabin in one piece?

Yes, I guess you can "hope" but I would not try it....I have seen people easily take a case on board using those small fold-up two wheeled carts. Too much temptation for people seeing your case or wine sitting on the corridor floor before you bring it in to your cabin.

We have taken several bottles of wine in our carry on in the past but this time would like to take a case. I do not have room to put it in our carry on this time. Can we just put a luggage tag on the box and hope it arrives in our cabin in one piece?

Some say they've done it without any problems; some worry that it's an abuse of Princess' generous policy which could lead to stricter rules including no wine like some cruise lines.

Some places it seems to indicate a bottle or two but their contact shows no limit. We bring a few bottles in our luggage but the consensus belief is that a case is okay. So it's up to you whether to bring a case; my concern is it could lead to strictly enforced limits or none at all.

I too would carry it with me thru security. And yes you can do it.. friends took 2 cases on last year without a problem... just didn't let it out of their sight.:) The wine stores will pack it for easy carry-on. Princess does not have a limit for wine, champagne, water, soft drinks etc... just no alcohol.

my concern is it could lead to strictly enforced limits or none at all.

You're exactly right - at some point in time this policy will change.... but as long as it is what it is, why not use it !! I know of one cruise-line that states they will actually open mouthwash bottles to confirm the contents. :mad:

On our last 10 day cruise, we put a luggage tag on the case of wine and it was delivered to our cabin with our luggage. Not a problem. There will be a $15 corkage fee if you take wine to the dining rooms. If you open your wine in your cabin, no fee.

I too would carry it with me thru security. And yes you can do it.. friends took 2 cases on last year without a problem... just didn't let it out of their sight.:) The wine stores will pack it for easy carry-on. Princess does not have a limit for wine, champagne, water, soft drinks etc... just no alcohol.

Surely wine and Champagne are alcohol.

The cruise answer book says,

"You are permitted to bring onboard one bottle of wine or champagne per person." (page 20)

But people seem to post that they've been allowed whole cases, so maybe it depends?

The Passage Contract does not have a limit...

It's an FAQ on here. The CAB says one bottle but the passage contract (US at least) which is the document of record does not specify a limit, only restricts to wine or champagne. The concern is not that Princess will stop you per se but if the company starts to perceive their permission to be abused (and possibly costing revenue), they will amend the contract with a hard limit.

"You are permitted to bring onboard one bottle of wine or champagne per person." (page 20)

But people seem to post that they've been allowed whole cases, so maybe it depends?

The 'Cruise Answer Book' is only a general listing of FAQ's.

The "Passenger Contract" (which is legal) and everyone should read, states...

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

IE - nowhere in the "Contract" does it set a limit !!! :D

I think that the OP and others have a slightly early 1900's view of cruising. Think of the Titanic movie when one 'moved' on board with all ones worldly possessions. You just have to read these boards with talk of people 'decorating' their staterooms/ stateroom doors etc etc. to get the picture. An extension of this is bringing 'ones cellar' onboard.

It is merely a quaint tradition, a rather old fashioned culture that is still good and strong in the US.

The 'Cruise Answer Book' is only a general listing of FAQ's.

The "Passenger Contract" (which is legal) and everyone should read, states...

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

IE - nowhere in the "Contract" does it set a limit !!! :D

I quite agree with you, it is the overriding document....my only concern with bringing cases of wine is that Princess may decide to strike that from the contract at some point. Having said that, I am booze smuggler.:eek:

You're exactly right - at some point in time this policy will change.... but as long as it is what it is, why not use it !! I know of one cruise-line that states they will actually open mouthwash bottles to confirm the contents. :mad:

Carnival took the bottle of vine provided in their shore excursion to a winery...now that's very restrictive. It was returned to use the last night on board.

Archived