Medical Emergency on Spirit

jenpan

I am sitting at home, 30 miles upriver from the port, and trying to decide when I will leave home to go to the dock. Daughter is dropping us off, so no need to park, but WHEN? I can see the ship marked on the map as it comes up river, but I don't think it will be ready to board at 5PM as the taped phone message says.

I hope all those who can't get their flights changed today will find a place to sleep tonight, the airport is not very comfortable for that. Also, some may not have money to get a hotel room...wonder if NCL is going to chip in on those expenses? Probably not, but worth asking.

I just hope the staff is in a nicer mood than I expect them to be, rushing around to get ready for us. No one getting their appointed day off in NOLA. I am just thankful to be going...family matters almost kept us home, our son-in-law was ill, but he will be ok. Now this to contend with, but not complaining, mind you. Can't wait to get on the ship and have fun...just the two of us, old folks running away from home again.

The mouth of the river is about 100 miles south of NOLA, but when you add all the crooks and turns in the river, it is longer. It has made good time since I watched it this morning...it is not as big as the Carnival ships that take 8 hours to go down the river.

I've never sailed from NOLA, so I really don't know what I'm looking at, but the cruise cam shows the ship entering what could be the Mississippi. Is that right? If it is, how long until she docks?

Quite a while. From what I hear on a normal sail-away where she leaves dock around 5pm, she doesn't hit the golf of Mexico until around midnight or later. It is a very windy trip up and down the Mississippi. Next week will be my first time to experience it, but I have been researching like crazy.

You can check out this web site to see what all she has to do to get from the mouth of the river up to the dock. It is really neat to see.

Yes, I can see that but the phone calls were made within 20 minutes of each other so they just did not have their details straight.

Maybe they were told to be sorta non commitable (if that is a word) I do know there things are hard to predict. Let's hope the ship is almost in now.

Nita

"I can see the ship marked on the map as it comes up river, but I don't think it will be ready to board at 5PM as the taped phone message says."

According to NCL's post on page 2: "We are currently expecting Norwegian Spirit to arrive alongside into the Port of New Orleans at approximately 4 pm. Embarkation for guests on today's voyage will begin at approximately 7 pm."

I see NCL posted this on their website with a time change:

"Norwegian Spirit had to divert from its return course for an emergency medical evacuation involving a guest on board. Because of this, the ship is now scheduled to arrive into New Orleans later than originally scheduled on Sunday, March 13, 2011. Instead of the scheduled arrival at 8 am, the ship will now arrive alongside into the Port of New Orleans at approximately 3 pm. Therefore, check-in and embarkation will begin at approximately 5 pm. We strongly encourage all guests to please delay their arrival to the terminal until 5 pm."

Just called- said begin checking in at 7 AND there is a problem with one of the engines and hopefully it'll be fixed- said there may be a change in itinerary- will skip Roatan and days at ports could be switched around-I plan to call back after they leave to see if this happens-

Just called- said begin checking in at 7 AND there is a problem with one of the engines and hopefully it'll be fixed- said there may be a change in itinerary- will skip Roatan and days at ports could be switched around-I plan to call back after they leave to see if this happens-

Ah geeze.......... here we go again! :eek:

The front of the website is old information. I called this morning and the gal said what the NCL rep said they would be docking at 4:00. The NCL rep posted on this thread that boarding would be at 7:00 also. I spoke to DD and she said they are telling them they are docking at 4:30-5:00. The bus to the airport does not even leave until 6:15 so I cannot see how they would be able to board anyone at 5:00.

Not many late night flights out of New Orleans so there are going to be overnight stays I am sure. Good thing it is not last week during Mardi Gras where there were no rooms to be had.

Ah geeze.......... here we go again! :eek:

I hope the engine problem is just misinformation. (that happens semi-frequently when you call in) The ship was doing almost 19 knots when she came into the range of the MarineTraffic web site as she was coming back from Key West. They may be re-arranging the ports just because of the late start she will be getting.

I am getting on when your daughter gets off, so please post here if you find anything additional out about the cruise. We have a couple of private excursions booked that will be easier to change from home than from on the road or the ship.

I just called NCL too. She said engine issues were fixed. She told me Costa Maya would be 2-10pm and no other ports affected. She also said boarding wouldn't begin until 7pm. She said the boat should be here now, but it's not. Could be some confusion over time zones. Were at the Riverwalk killing some time so we should see it arrive.....hopefully in the next hour or two.

I hope the engine problem is just misinformation. (that happens semi-frequently when you call in) The ship was doing almost 19 knots when she came into the range of the MarineTraffic web site as she was coming back from Key West. They may be re-arranging the ports just because of the late start she will be getting.

I am getting on when your daughter gets off, so please post here if you find anything additional out about the cruise. We have a couple of private excursions booked that will be easier to change from home than from on the road or the ship.

I just got off with NCL and they have adjusted the itinerary but I don't have the details. I know she said embarkation at 7:00. I also know she said they are getting in later to Costa Maya but staying later too. Give them a call and they seem to have the details worked out.

she is getting ON not OFF-I plan to call after they leave so I can change excursion in cozumel if needed

Yes, they seem to have worked out any needed changes in the itinerary for the cruise beginning today.

I "get it" that the change was done because of a medical emergency and was necessary to save the life (I hope) of one person. But - big but - you have to realize that the action has consequences that will affect many, many people. Think of how many people will miss their flights, how many airline workers will now need to deal with all the flight changes, the cabin stewards that won't have as much time to turn over cabins, the embarking passengers who aren't able to get on the ship, the dock workers who may now have to stay late, etc., etc. There's thousands of people who have been affected, and I don't think it's unreasonable that a few of them are going to be upset and complain. (BTW - this sounds like a great discussion for an ethics class at university. Do you disrupt the lives of thousands to save the life of one?)

My answer is, "OF Course."" The saving of one life is more important than missed flights or the inconviencing of workers. They'll do their jobs, new flights will be found, and the ill person will live on.

Barb

she is getting ON not OFF-I plan to call after they leave so I can change excursion in cozumel if needed

I'm embarking on the 20th. I was just curious in case there was an engine issue that would affect us as well. So, in a week, I will be getting on, when she is getting off. :)

On Spirit, docking in 9 min. Next cruise will not leave NOLA until after midnight.

We have been told you folks on next cruise will have to skip Costa Maya like we did.

Be aware that you will have almost 900 college spring breakers on each of the next 3 weeks. They were able to purchase an unlimited alcohol package for $375 and they use it to the fullest. So don't be surprised by the drunk kids. The staff did a terrible job with them.

Enjoy your trip.

Well your a wealth of good.news drfood! :)

On Spirit, dockimg in 9 min. Nexr cruise will not leave NOLA until after midnight.

We have been told you folks on next cruise will have to skip Costa Maya like we did.

Be aware that you will have almost 900 college spring breakers on each of the next 3 weeks. They were able to purchase an unlimited alcohol package for $375 and they use it to the fullest. So don't be surprised by the drunk kids. The stag did a terrible job with them.

Enjoy your trip.

thanks for update-

How did you know about the change in itinerary?

I am glad that I won't be there with a bunch of drunk spring breakers-

I'm really surprised that they allow an unlimited alcohol pkg

D18 is going with a friend and family-Hope that the bartenders won't serve her

Just docked.

The crew told us about the change in itinerary.

It was not pretty with the kids. They took over the pool and hot tubs from open to close. Nothing but a pain in the butt.

BTW the airlift person passed away.

Archived