Doctor's Cave Beach

maggie3

We were there two years ago, this is only to give you an idea, as I'm not 100% sure. It's not far from the port, maybe 15 min the most if I remember correctly. You pay about $15 per person to enter and then $5-10 ea. chair/umbrella. It has nice shaded area, you don't really need umbrella.

Thank you, lanadag, for your reply. I appreciate even a ballpark figure. Can lanadag or other readers please advise how much the two of us should expect to pay for a round trip taxi from the cruise pier to Doctor's Cave Beach? Our ship does not offer a beach excursion in Jamaica, so we are trying to find a way to have a pleasant beach day on our own. We will be grateful for any and all suggestions.

Prices may have gone up but it was $5.00 pp each way. Just make sure someone at the terminal gets you a JUTA cab. They have the set price. Some get the $15pp hop on, hop off bus pass but if you only want to go to the beach, stick with a taxi.

We were at Doctors Cave Beach last week. Admission was $5 pp, chair $5 pp and umbrella $5. We didn't need an umbrella as there was a large shaded area. Bucket of Red Stripes, five or six, for $15.

Thank you for this information!

If you were docked in Falmouth, can you tell me how you got to Doctors Cave beach? If you grabbed a taxi, how easy was it and what did it cost either per person or per cab? Thanks so much! cruisedivanj

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done this on their own from Falmouth??:confused:

Same question......to add, how much was a taxi per person? And, how long was the ride from Falmouth? and, how do you deal with the return to the ship; does the driver wait for you, come back....or?

(& did I ask, food? drinks?)

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, bring a lot of $5 bills with you bc just about everything is $5....taxi $5 pp, entrance to Doctor's cave $5 pp, beach chairs $5 per chair, umbrella $5. one of the bars nearby had waiters delivering drinks to us on the beach and they had a 2 for 1 special on their rum punch and can you guess how much that was...if you guessed $5 you're a winner

on a separate note: we found it necessary to rent an umbrella bc we wanted our beach chairs right at the water...front row seats :D no shade there....i must say it was a GREAT day

• 4 weeks later...

Great info on Dr's Cave. We were thinking about taking a cab there and then going to Margaritaville after.

Can anyone tell me about how far Margaritaville is from Dr's Cave Beach?

Great info on Dr's Cave. We were thinking about taking a cab there and then going to Margaritaville after.

Can anyone tell me about how far Margaritaville is from Dr's Cave Beach?

Right down the street just get the shuttle hop on pass at the pier when you debark the ship. They will take you to Margaritaville from Dr.'s Cave.

I e-mailed Doctor's Cave for info this is the response

hi,

admission is US$5.00 per adult, half for children under 12yrs.

chairs, umbrellas, floats, and snorkeling equipment are rented at US$5.00 per item.

we also havea food court with bars and restaurants that offer a wide variety of food and drinks.

we do not offer water sports activities at the beach, however if you like snorkeling you can rent a glass bottom boat and have a look at the coral reef etc.

regards.

Right down the street just get the shuttle hop on pass at the pier when you debark the ship. They will take you to Margaritaville from Dr.'s Cave.

how much is the shuttle hop on pass? can you take it from the pier to Dr/'s Cave, then from Dr.'s Cave to Margaritaville?

Or is it close enough to walk from Dr.'s to Margaritaville?

how much is the shuttle hop on pass? can you take it from the pier to Dr/'s Cave, then from Dr.'s Cave to Margaritaville?

Or is it close enough to walk from Dr.'s to Margaritaville?

Margaritaville is an easy walk - less than a block from Doctor's Cave Beach.

For better, cheaper food (non-tourist trap), go across the street and about another block towards the pier to the Pork Pit. Instead of a margarita and cheeseburger, chow down on some jerk chicken or pork and a cold beverage. I read about it in 1000 Places to See Before You Die and after visiting, I agree... it's really good!

As for the hop-on, hop-off shuttle, I had a sketchy driver on our cruise pick us up at the shopping mall (the first stop from the pier). He asked us if we wanted to go to the beach (yes!), took our coupons, and then dropped us off at this tiny strip of water that's across from the shopping center. Yes, it's a private beach, but there's nothing there. So, the proper answer to "Do you want to go to the beach?" is "Yes. Doctor's Cave, please."

ETA: The shuttle I'm speaking of is from Montego Bay. Not sure if RCCL runs anything from Falmouth to MoBay. I think they want to keep you in the port that they built.

Edited by MrSnarkyPants

The beach is very nice, water was gorgeous, but just be aware you are not getting standard beach loungers to sit on. They have these really awful, uncomfortable cloth deck chairswith wood frame and the wood bar cuts into the back of your legs behind your knees. I hated them. Ended up having to sit on a water mat all day instead.

Margaritaville is an easy walk - less than a block from Doctor's Cave Beach.

For better, cheaper food (non-tourist trap), go across the street and about another block towards the pier to the Pork Pit. Instead of a margarita and cheeseburger, chow down on some jerk chicken or pork and a cold beverage. I read about it in 1000 Places to See Before You Die and after visiting, I agree... it's really good!

I had read about the Pork Pit on TripAdvisor and had looked at maps to find it. Did it move locations cause any maps i find of it, show that it's across from the middle of the 3 halfmoon beaches, which is about half a mile away from Margaritaville (according to google earth's measuring tool) All i see a block away from Margaritaville, on the other side of the street, is a Burger King and The Pelican restaurant.

Was planning on sending hubby to go get us some jerk pork from the Pork Pit to eat for lunch while we are at Doctor's Cave Beach. Then doing a little shopping along the Hip Strip and catching a cab once we get to Margaritaville. (not planning on going inside Margaritaville as i think it's just too touristy)

Edited by MissRabbit

I don't have any pics of DC, but I will say it's my favorite beach of the Caribbean. My DH is from Mobay and I've been there several times. I changed a booking from the LOS to the Allure just for the Falmouth visit so I could go back to Mobay. You will like it, I'm sure.

Do the craft peddlers bother you on Doctor's Cave Beach like I have read they do at the other beaches?

And does anyone know for certain the location of The Pork Pit? Seems to be some controversary about where exactly it's located. We would love to check it out.