Concierge Guests Viewed As Potential Thieves?

nononsense42

My husband and I recently returned from our 19th cruise, but our first with Celebrity and we booked Concierge class. We were on the 10 day Millie, Feb. 25th. This is lengthy, but please bear with me. When we returned to our cabin after dinner the last night of our cruise I immediately noticed that my flowers on the vanity were missing. Our nice dish of fruit that we had in our room everyday had also been removed. I checked the bathroom and my rose was still in there and I was relieved to see that. I had really enjoyed the flowers all week. I then began to look for the binoculars that my husband had enjoyed using all week. After much searching, I could not find them. I was alarmed that they had somehow been misplaced and I called our cabin attendant. He informed me he had removed them from the room. I was not pleased that I had wasted time searching for what should have been in the room.

I decided to call Guest Relations and noticed when I picked up the phone that even the leather cover for the notepad had also been removed! The girl I spoke to told me the items should not have been removed from the room and she would have the attendant return them. He came back with the binoculars and asked me if I "needed" the flowers. I told him no, I did not need them. What woman needs flowers? We do love them though. I asked him why the binoculars were removed and he told me that it was because guests stole them! I asked him why the guests who did that were not simply billed for the binoculars. There was the usual note in the stateroom when we boarded that towels were to be returned or we would be charged. Why not add binoculars to that list? I asked why the flowers and fruit were taken and he replied they were getting ready for the next guests. I reminded him I was a guest and had not yet left. He answered he was doing as told and became very defensive and loud.

I called guest relations again and she said she would have the head of housekeeping contact me. That never happened. I went down to guest relations in the morning and spoke to Ricky and he took notes. He told me that they removed the binoculars to do inventory. I told him the room attendant told me it was so the guests would not take them. He denied that. I wonder why they did not inventory the umbrellas? The additional hair dryers? I have stayed at very expensive hotels and never had them remove all items of value the night before, not to mention the amenities.

Celebrity had made us feel very special all week and we were ready to call them our favorite cruiseline. It was the friendliest crew we had ever encountered and the service fantastic.

I hate to let this overshadow an otherwise perfect vacation but it does. It caused me a lot of stress on the last night when I already had enough having to pack and get ready to disembark. I was literally in tears that evening after dealing with all of it.

We paid for concierge and had a right to expect the flowers, fruit, and binoculars to remain until the conclusion of our vacation which was at 8:00 AM the following morning. It wold have only taken minutes for them to be replaced.

The leather notepad holder? I could have done without that okay. I thought they might remove the robes, because that had happened on other cruiselines. Have you heard the saying “Here’s your hat, what is your hurry?” That message and more was loud and clear on our last night.

I called and spoke to Guest Relations today and he said my complaint had been noted and would be seen by management. He did not apologize on their behalf. Celebrity needs to make changes on how they treat their Concierge guests. It just isn't right that I or anyone else should be treated this way.

I know that the CEO of Celebrity, Daniel Hanrahan cares because he took the time to come onto this board and address the concerns about the "X" rules. Will he ever know how we were treated? I read that all complaints are screened even if addressed to top management.

Time will tell if mine makes it through. I will update you if it does.

For better or worse this is SOP on just about every cruise we've taken on Celebrity. the fact of the matter is that the cabin stewards have about 8 hours of work to complete between the time you vacate your room at 7 or 8AM and the time the room must be ready for new guests at 1PM. Since they don't really have enough time to do everything properly in that time slot their standard procedure is to start preparing things that most guests wouldn't object to when they make up the rooms the evening before disembarkation.

No one likes to feel like they are being ushered off the ship too fast, and some guests object to this as you have, but others don't really miss seeing the binoculars, the flowers, or the leather information booklet after dinner on their last night nor the other minor advance prep things they do.

Also, I've always received responses to every complaint I've emailed to Dan Hanarahan or other top management at Celebrity. Do I think he has time to read all of these personally? No - I presume they are screened and that even if the CEO wanted to see them all he just wouldn't have time to see all the emails addressed to him even though only a small number of the millions cruising every year with Celebrity take the time to address compliments or complaints to him. But I do believe that items addressed to the executive office are noted, monitored and that the appropriate executive at least becomes aware of them in some summary form. I'd also encourage anyone to leave any comments on a note in the guest comments box on board even if you've already dropped the standard guest questionnaire off earlier. Any comments left on the form or otherwise are reviewed by management.

That is so sad that you were treated like that by Celebrity. We have been on 4 cruises with them and booked for cruise #5 in Aug. I don't remember being treated like that and I would remember. This is the first cruise we will be taking in CC so I'll pay particular attention to those things you mentioned. We are going to Alaska and I believe that the binoculars will be a great benefit to us even on the last night. I hope you get a response from management.

Most of us enjoy being able to get in our cabins early on embarkation day and don't miss the dead flowers, binoculars at night, or the leather pad cover. We've been on many cruises and it's been this way for a very long time.

My husband and I recently returned from our 19th cruise, but our first with Celebrity and we booked Concierge class. We were on the 10 day Millie, Feb. 25th. This is lengthy, but please bear with me. When we returned to our cabin after dinner the last night of our cruise I immediately noticed that my flowers on the vanity were missing. Our nice dish of fruit that we had in our room everyday had also been removed. I checked the bathroom and my rose was still in there and I was relieved to see that. I had really enjoyed the flowers all week. I then began to look for the binoculars that my husband had enjoyed using all week. After much searching, I could not find them. I was alarmed that they had somehow been misplaced and I called our cabin attendant. He informed me he had removed them from the room. I was not pleased that I had wasted time searching for what should have been in the room.

I decided to call Guest Relations and noticed when I picked up the phone that even the leather cover for the notepad had also been removed! The girl I spoke to told me the items should not have been removed from the room and she would have the attendant return them. He came back with the binoculars and asked me if I "needed" the flowers. I told him no, I did not need them. What woman needs flowers? We do love them though. I asked him why the binoculars were removed and he told me that it was because guests stole them! I asked him why the guests who did that were not simply billed for the binoculars. There was the usual note in the stateroom when we boarded that towels were to be returned or we would be charged. Why not add binoculars to that list? I asked why the flowers and fruit were taken and he replied they were getting ready for the next guests. I reminded him I was a guest and had not yet left. He answered he was doing as told and became very defensive and loud.

I called guest relations again and she said she would have the head of housekeeping contact me. That never happened. I went down to guest relations in the morning and spoke to Ricky and he took notes. He told me that they removed the binoculars to do inventory. I told him the room attendant told me it was so the guests would not take them. He denied that. I wonder why they did not inventory the umbrellas? The additional hair dryers? I have stayed at very expensive hotels and never had them remove all items of value the night before, not to mention the amenities.

Celebrity had made us feel very special all week and we were ready to call them our favorite cruiseline. It was the friendliest crew we had ever encountered and the service fantastic.

I hate to let this overshadow an otherwise perfect vacation but it does. It caused me a lot of stress on the last night when I already had enough having to pack and get ready to disembark. I was literally in tears that evening after dealing with all of it.

We paid for concierge and had a right to expect the flowers, fruit, and binoculars to remain until the conclusion of our vacation which was at 8:00 AM the following morning. It wold have only taken minutes for them to be replaced.

The leather notepad holder? I could have done without that okay. I thought they might remove the robes, because that had happened on other cruiselines. Have you heard the saying “Here’s your hat, what is your hurry?” That message and more was loud and clear on our last night.

I called and spoke to Guest Relations today and he said my complaint had been noted and would be seen by management. He did not apologize on their behalf. Celebrity needs to make changes on how they treat their Concierge guests. It just isn't right that I or anyone else should be treated this way.

I know that the CEO of Celebrity, Daniel Hanrahan cares because he took the time to come onto this board and address the concerns about the "X" rules. Will he ever know how we were treated? I read that all complaints are screened even if addressed to top management.

Time will tell if mine makes it through. I will update you if it does.

I have sailed aboard Carnival, NCL, RCL, Cunard, Windstar, Princess and of course my favorite line Celebrity. With the possible exception of Windstar all the lines began some manner of disembarkation procedure on the final night of the cruise. As much as I hate to think my voyage is ending, the cabin staff have a ton of work to do between the time one group of passengers debarks and the next embark. I would certainly not take it personally and instead begin to plan your next cruise vacation.

I understand what you are saying, but preparation for new guests should not involve removing everything of value from the stateroom because of concerns it will be taken. I take issue with that.

For better or worse this is SOP on just about every cruise we've taken on Celebrity. the fact of the matter is that the cabin stewards have about 8 hours of work to complete between the time you vacate your room at 7 or 8AM and the time the room must be ready for new guests at 1PM. Since they don't really have enough time to do everything properly in that time slot their standard procedure is to start preparing things that most guests wouldn't object to when they make up the rooms the evening before disembarkation.

No one likes to feel like they are being ushered off the ship too fast, and some guests object to this as you have, but others don't really miss seeing the binoculars, the flowers, or the leather information booklet after dinner on their last night nor the other minor advance prep things they do.

Also, I've always received responses to every complaint I've emailed to Dan Hanarahan or other top management at Celebrity. Do I think he has time to read all of these personally? No - I presume they are screened and that even if the CEO wanted to see them all he just wouldn't have time to see all the emails addressed to him even though only a small number of the millions cruising every year with Celebrity take the time to address compliments or complaints to him. But I do believe that items addressed tot he executive office are noted, monitored and that the appropriate executive at least becomes aware of them in some summary form. I'd also encourage anyone to leave any comments on a note in the guest comments box on board even if you've already dropped the standard guest questionnaire off earlier. Any comments left on the form or otherwise are reviewed by management.

I have sailed aboard Carnival, NCL, RCL, Cunard, Windstar, Princess and of course my favorite line Celebrity. With the possible exception of Windstar all the lines began some manner of disembarkation procedure on the final night of the cruise. As much as I hate to think my voyage is ending, the cabin staff have a ton of work to do between the time one group of passengers debarks and the next embark. I would certainly not take it personally and instead begin to plan your next cruise vacation.

I've sailed 5 different lines and never had it happen to me.

To me, this was the most important thing I read and cannot imagine how nine days of being made to feel "very special" in any way can be negated by the removal of the flowers and binoculars.

Happens every time I cruise. Last November, I happened to set something on the top of the sofa, and knocked it so it fell behind the sofa. As I moved it to retrieve my lost item, I found the leatherette stationery cover inside the hide-a-bed. It gave me a laugh. I'm not crazy about the "here's your hat, what's your hurry" procedures, but I'm used to them.

There is so much pressure on the stewards to turn the rooms around quickly. Passengers want to delay leaving their rooms as long as they can. The oncoming passengers are clamoring to board at 11, even thought their documents might say that boarding begins at 2. Charging the passenger accounts for missing items, and having to replace them, slows the turnaround process, so "hiding" the robes, the binoculars and so forth means the next cruisers can begin to board more quickly.

If the steward can't find the binoculars on that last night, he/she has to inform accounting, so the passenger's account can be charged for them. Nobody want to have mysterious charges applied to their account after they disembark. This way, the steward knows that no additional charges need to be applied, the "final statement" can be slipped under your door during the night, and you have time to make adjustments before you leave.....

Having Celebrity assume I'm a thief is what negated everything........ read the subject line please.

To me, this was the most important thing I read and cannot imagine how nine days of being made to feel "very special" in any way can be negated by the removal of the flowers and binoculars.

For better or worse this is SOP on just about every cruise we've taken on Celebrity.

REALY?? :confused:

We did CC on the Millie in October 2010 - we didn't have anything removed early from our room.

We did AQ on the Solstice in Feb 2011 and I noted the cabin stewart put the binoculers back into the box and locked the mini-bar on the last night. In fact when I looked into the closet the robes for the next guests were already in the closet which I shook my head at because when we got the cabin there weren't any robes in their initially.

I guess we don't look like the criminal types...:cool:

The flowers - nah but the implication of possible theft by removing the binoculers? Implying that the cruiser is a thief isn't the special type of feeling I would want.

Personally I think your cabin stewart over stepped the line - unless he/she noticed all those spoons and cups in your suitcase(s) then....;)

Thanks for your post and realizing the point I'm trying to make. I love your humor :) I thought all those cups with X's on them meant they were a write off and up for grabs. :rolleyes:

The flowers - nah but the implication of possible theft by removing the binoculers? Implying that the cruiser is a thief isn't the special type of feeling I would want.

Personally I think your cabin stewart over stepped the line - unless he/she noticed all those spoons and cups in your suitcase(s) then....;)

Sorry to hear about your upsetting experience. I think I shed a few tears the last night of every cruise just being sad to leave. It sure doesn't make you feel any better if you get the impression they are rushing you out the door, not to mention suspecting you of trying to pinch the amenities.

I agree about the "Here's your hat, what's your hurry" protocol we all experience the last day of a cruise. We were kind of annoyed by this on a HAL cruise a few years ago when we returned from breakfast (before 8am) on disembarkation day to find our room already cleaned up. My personal items in the bathroom had been moved, the bathroom cleaned, and set up for the new guests. I thought the room attendant had been overly hasty since it was obvious we still were in residence, and it was still rather early. Since that day, we always hang our do not disturb sign on the door while we go for breakfast on disembarkation day.

Since then, I sometimes wonder when I read on these boards about people checking in to their room to find the bathroom dirty if it might not have been just something like this, where people come back from breakfast before they check out, and use their bathroom that's already been cleaned for the next guest. With the Norovirus, this really ought to be something the cruise line ought to investigate. I do realize the room attendants have a time restriction, but it should be very clear that the guest has completely vacated the room before the bathroom is cleaned, so they are certain sure the room is clean and fresh for new guests.

At that time, I chose not to use the clean bathroom, but it was an imposition on us to feel like we did not have the use of our private bathroom on that last day. At any event, the do not disturb sign has worked for us since then, and we always check out of the room early in the morning.

Also, on embarkation day, we go over the "inventory" when our room attendant introduces themselves so there are no misunderstandings later. We've been surprised how many times we have found the umbrella or binoculars missing at check in.

Hope your next cruise goes smoothly!

I must look like a thief, we always have various items removed on the last night! Usually find them under the bed or behind the curtains.

And unfortunately, there are thieves on the cruise ships. Two were thrown off our last cruise for shoplifting. Must have been pretty dim to hide the stolen goods in the cabin!

Richard

I think the overall issue here is not the removal of some items, which has been explained as part of the disembarkation procedures, but the response of the steward and the percieved attitude of Guest Services. It's true that part of the reason items are taken out of the cabin (and the minibar locked) is to help determine what a passenger has or has not taken with them, so it can be accounted for and billed for properly, if necessary. And if it's done early enough so that someone can dispute a charge prior to leaving the ship, and the items are then left behind, there's nothing to stop someone from then pocketing something, like the binoculars. The cabin steward did not explain this diplomatically. Guest Services might have been more proactive in straightening all this out and apologizing for the confusion. This is something that Celebrity should be made aware of so those particular employees can improve their customer service skills.

We travel in CC all the time and I really can't remember this ever happening. I do remember the fruit and flowers going away. But I just figured they wanted to make sure they had fresh stuff out for the new people. And isn't there some rule about not bringing any food (fruit) or flowers into a US port? Maybe it's to prevent people from making that mistake.

And not to make light of the binocular issue, but they aren't that good (we always bring our own) so I wouldn't even want to steal them. I guess we never noticed whether they were there or not because we don't use theirs.

You DO get the feeling that ok, you're done, new people up next...but I think that's just the way it is. Not something to get upset about.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have done back to backs in the same cabin if their procedure was any different.

Maybe they just take that stuff away to a central location to be sterilized for the next people?

Having Celebrity assume I'm a thief is what negated everything........

You know in your heart what sort of person you are. That's what's important. Besides Celebrity did not single you out. It was explained, perhaps poorly, that this was standard procedure. Unfortunately, we all pay higher prices to compensate for those who pack their suitcases with towels, robes, binoculars, etc., etc..

I still think your nine wonderful days being pampered by the staff would carry much more weight than this incident. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

We have sailed w/ X twice and both times this also occurred in our Stateroom. Although, our telephone was disconnected and the little Q-tips and cotton balls and other bathroom amenities were taken out of the room.

The telephone being disconnected from the wall ticked me off as we needed to use it and therefore, had to move furniture and crawl under the bed to plug it back in.

The other stuff, such as the vase w/ flowers, fruit bowl, note pad, pen etc were merely annoying. It is the attitude that we may steal the items that is insulting.

This however, by no means diminished the overall trip.

We were b2b Jan 22 and Jan 29 in the same stateroom on the Summit and I did not notice whether or not the binocs were removed at the end of the first week - I don't use them anyway as they are not very good as already mentioned - I bring my own. Of course, I was really excited about the fact that DH and I had another week so I wasn't paying attention. I did notice it was missing the evening before disembarkation as well as the flowers, and two new robes were placed in the closet and the pen and notepad thingy was gone - We had already written our thank you notes and addressed our gratuity envelopes so I guess we didn' need them anymore:rolleyes:.

You act like Celebrity singled you out as a thief. if this indeed standard operating procedure than they do it for everyone. Unfortunately there are people in this world that steal things and we all must pay for that. Whether it is increased security or higher prices.

Do you feel the same way when you go through TSA at the airport and you and your luggage are screened because you might be a potential terrorist?

Do you feel the same way when you go to a nice hotel and pictures are permanently attached to the wall so no one will steal them?

Do you feel the same way when you buy a shirt at the store and there is a security tag on it?

I could go on.....

The point is this was not directed at you specifically it is something that happens to everyone and to let it ruin your vacation to the point you were almost in tears is patently ridiculous. I am sure if you really wanted the binoculars back they would have given them to you and they did offer to bring more flowers.

B.

I think the overall issue here is not the removal of some items, which has been explained as part of the disembarkation procedures, but the response of the steward and the percieved attitude of Guest Services. It's true that part of the reason items are taken out of the cabin (and the minibar locked) is to help determine what a passenger has or has not taken with them, so it can be accounted for and billed for properly, if necessary. And if it's done early enough so that someone can dispute a charge prior to leaving the ship, and the items are then left behind, there's nothing to stop someone from then pocketing something, like the binoculars. The cabin steward did not explain this diplomatically. Guest Services might have been more proactive in straightening all this out and apologizing for the confusion. This is something that Celebrity should be made aware of so those particular employees can improve their customer service skills.
This post says everything I was thinking and much better than I could have, thank you.

Archived