Try this for "sea sickness" prevention

Luluwa

I'd read in an "alternative medical magazine" that copper has properties in it that were used many years ago for motion discomfort.

They said to take paper tape and tape a clean, copper penny over the navel area to ward off motion or sea sickness.

I just returned from the Conquest today and I tried it and although our seas were fairly calm the entire cruise, I felt no motion illness.

I'll definately try it again - it's CHEAP, easy and non-invasive to the body. :)

I heard the same kinda thing but it was a hillbilly friend.....

Duct tape and copper tubing from the still....LOL

I have a feeling that most females are going to avoid this method due to swimsuits that you suggest...

I also agree on the ginger. Capsules work fine....

This is a very old wive's tail.

Modern pennies are not made of copper, so the proposed solution is useless. You can buy copper bracelets for this purpose.

Once you understand what causes seasickness, it's very easy to prevent without any drugs, herbs or copper. Of course, nobody makes any money off of selling stuff, so they tell you you need ginger, or copper or whatever.

Those treat symptoms, but do not stop the cause. Motion sickness is caused by the visual and balance cues being out of synch. The brain interprets it as a poison reaction and causes the nausea response. You just have to re-synch the visual and balance cues. No pennies needed.

Those treat symptoms, but do not stop the cause. Motion sickness is caused by the visual and balance cues being out of synch. The brain interprets it as a poison reaction and causes the nausea response. You just have to re-synch the visual and balance cues. No pennies needed.

but I'm not going to tell you how to do that.

-ehfl

just get some meclizine. Non-drowsy. Or benadryl, or dramamine

but I'm not going to tell you how to do that.

-ehfl

just get some meclizine. Non-drowsy. Or benadryl, or dramamine

The information is all over the web. Most people figure it out on their own. They go outside for some fresh air, and suddenly, they feel better.

What's happening when they go outside, is that when looking at the horizon, island, cloud, or other relatively stable object, the brain is getting visual cues as to the motion of the ship. At the same time, the muslces are sending the same information to the brain. Once the signals are in synch, the sensation goes away. Some people mistakenly think that looking out at the waves will make it worse, but as long as they look at the horizon, it will actually stop the seasickness. This is why people who get sick on a boat, often don't get sick in a car, or why some people will get sick in the back of the car, where they can't look out the window as easily, but not in the front seat.

Once you figure out what's happening in the brain, you don't actually need to go outside to feel better. You can create an imaginary horizon, and visualize the movements you feel inside the ship, against that imaginary horizon.

The way to conquer motion sickness is to simply understand it. Don't fight it....use it to your advantage. No drugs. No side effects. No copper poisoning.

"The way to conquer motion sickness is to simply understand it. Don't fight it....use it to your advantage. No drugs. No side effects. No copper poisoning....."

Ok, but cant I stand outside, look at the horizon, focus on the shore, WITH a roasted garlic clove stuffed in my navel?? I heard that works too. :D

Archived