Question about insides on Emerald and Grand

cricri7

Hi guys.....I have done a couple of cruises in the last 2 years on Holland, Celebrity and Carnival. I have never gone on Princess and am looking at the cruises in February 2012. I am a 40 something woman that travels either alone or with a friend of mine. Since we don't share our staterooms, we pay for single occupancy and some of you may know that it is more expensive.

On Holland and Celebrity, I have cruised in cabins of 200 square feet. When you get used to it, you expect to get it. However, I see that insides on Princess are only 150-160 square feet. Since we are looking at a 10 day cruise, it would be fun to have more space.

My question is......are there some experts out there who know about bigger insides on either the Emerald or the Grand? On Holland, there are bigger and smaller insides...you have to search and find out which ones. There is an amazing website made by a Holland user named Joanie that tells you about those things. Is there such an expert here who knows about bigger insides no one knows about? If there is.....let me know about them!!!

Like I said, our budget is limited since we don't share our cabin and oceanview is many hundreds more. I prefer to keep this money to go to the spa;)

Thanks in advance!

My question is......are there some experts out there who know about bigger insides on either the Emerald or the Grand?

Grand on the Aloha deck - A515 and the other horizontally positioned cabins.

Emerald on the Riviera deck - R515 and the other horizontally positioned cabins.

These are a little bit bigger and have a better layout.

We just took our first HAL cruise last November, and had an inside for 24 nights. We LOVED our cabin, and then moved right over to an inside on the Emerald. We missed the sofa and all the drawers, but still found room for everything. I do wish the Emerald had drawers in the vanity like the Grand does (IIRC). Those deep shelves end up being only half used, because I'd have to get down on the floor to fish something out of the back of them!

The sideways cabins are nice, but only worth about $50pp more than the regular ones. Princess tends to not drop the price on that category of cabin when it drops prices on other categories, so the difference can end up being quite significant.

Grand on the Aloha deck - A515 and the other horizontally positioned cabins.

Emerald on the Riviera deck - R515 and the other horizontally positioned cabins.

These are a little bit bigger and have a better layout.

Although only slightly larger, their improved layout trumps the size advantage. The closets have actual doors!:p

I prefer them to oceanviews.

There are only six. Despite priced the top inside category ii they sell out early.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

Thanks Steve for the picture!

I am curious about which deck your stateroom was located on?

Did you have any noise issues?

You are right about the layout, it is very interesting....much more so than the regular ones I saw in pictures.

Thanks Steve for the picture!

I am curious about which deck your stateroom was located on?

Did you have any noise issues?

You are right about the layout, it is very interesting....much more so than the regular ones I saw in pictures.

Riviera Deck on Crown and other ships of the same build. Aloha on Grand.

• 5 months later...
R507 on the Caribbean Princess appears to be below the pool. Any problem with noise in that location?

Maggie

Absolutely not. I've often stayed in midship cabins below Lido deck (including R507), never heard any noise.

Although only slightly larger, their improved layout trumps the size advantage. The closets have actual doors!:p

I prefer them to oceanviews.

There are only six. Despite priced the top inside category ii they sell out early.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

We actually prefer the cabin layout on the standard insides better. I like it very dark for sleeping. The vent in the door of those sideways cabins is near the bed and lets in light (and some hallway noise...but only of others entering and exiting their cabins.) I would not pay more for those sideways cabins again. However, if the slight light issue doesn't bother you, they are a little larger than a standard inside and you might like it. Here's a couple of pics of the cabin we had.

1285002318_forposting.jpg.bb02709b124aeaf60fdb8f6993edfc77.jpg

181955906_forposting1.jpg.da8cdbbb3f0e29c6365d787d69a606b6.jpg

The "regular" inside cabins are much more spacious and have much more usable floor space if you have the beds set up as twins instead of a queen.

i wonder if the stewards can configure a queen but against the wall? i don't see why not and that would feel like more floor space to me. i'll be asking on my next cruise-unless the upgrade fairy smiles on me.

Archived