Tipping - Carnival

I have not cruised in a year and a half. Can you still adjust the tips on Carnival up/down or just tip in cash? My husband likes to tip in cash- that way we know for sure the $ goes to who we want too.

I heard you couldn't adjust the tips tho if you did "anytime" dining vs. an assigned dining room table. Any truth in that?

We are planning to book Carnival Dream for Oct. l5th. Thanks

Actually, if you remove the auto-tip, tipping in cash does NOT go to who you want. The people you give it to are required to turn it in to the pool.

Think of it as a service charge.

Then, if you wish to tip on top of that, do so.

Im not sure you can adjust it up or down ...maybe you could?? I thought it was all or nothing.

If you remove the tips, its been reported your name will be on a list passed out to the crew so they know who is not tipping them... removing the tip is just a way to tip less right? People have said they were even asked by their cabin steward why they removed the tip, was something wrong?

Removing the tip is a hot topic on CC .... better put on your flame retardant suit. I see you are new. btw how are you going to tip the buffet workers that $1 a day part of the tip ...go around to everyone who you see clearing in the buffet? You cant.

No - it's not a way to tip less because you like to tip in cash. I think most people like cash!

But you can't possibly tip all the people who receive a share of the auto tip, such as buffet workers, so you're not doing anyone any favors by trying to tip in cash.

Leave the auto tip in place so that everyone who is supposed to share in it gets compensated. If anyone gives you exceptional service consider giving them an extra tip in cash.

I believe you can't lower one person's tip, only the whole amount of the tip. So if you're unhappy with your steward or waiter you can't just lower their tip, you have to lower all the tips.

that was my experience too ... i had a huge problem with a cabin steward for the whole week, but i wound up leaving his tip on.

Im willing to bet when the OP says they lowered the tip, they mean they removed it all, but didnt want to say that. Its the oldest excuse in the book, we want to remove tips because we want to hand out cash.

Archived