Buffet on NCL Gem

wallygator

A co worker is thinging of booking the Gem but read somewhere that there are no buffets on the Gem. If so what are her options other than the dinning roomsfor a meal?

Thanks in advance.:):):)

Not true. This appears to be a misunderstanding over terminology. NCL doesn't like to use the term buffet in describing their buffet because over the past few years, they have added "action stations" where food is prepared to order. Take my word for it - all NCL ships have a buffet in addition to the main dining rooms.

There's also room service (24/7) and, depending on the ship, the Blue Lagoon (23/7 comfort food).

All of the above are "free" or included. There are also numerous specialty restaurants that charge a nominal surcharge.

A co worker is thinging of booking the Gem but read somewhere that there are no buffets on the Gem. If so what are her options other than the dinning roomsfor a meal?

Thanks in advance.:):):)

Where did you read that?

Certainly there's a buffet on the Gem!

I see you've been on the Dawn.....not too different from that ship, as far as where to eat, just laid out a little different. Check the NCL site for full details.

Where did you read that?

Certainly there's a buffet on the Gem!

I see you've been on the Dawn.....not too different from that ship, as far as where to eat, just laid out a little different. Check the NCL site for full details.

Actually, it says right here on CC that there are no buffets - http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=385

Actually, it says right here on CC that there are no buffets - http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=385

But then goes on to talk about the "action station-style Garden Cafe", which is of course just a fancy way of saying "buffet".

It's just a poorly written piece with an incomplete, unnecessarily confusing description.

The Gem has a "buffet"--aka Garden Cafe--is a great place to eat..!

I'll second that!

No buffet, indeed, tell that to my scale.:D

Because of that place, I probably gained a pound-a-day on my last Gem cruise in December.:)

there's definitely a buffet a.k.a. action stations. loved the big hunks of salmon and the cesar salad station with anchovies galore :p. and the rocky road ice cream. and crepes. and cheese. and pretzel rolls. dammmm i'm hungry now.

The Gem had buffets, but the food was inedible. Hamburgers, hot dogs, dried up pasta dishes, cafeteria-like sandwiches and dry pizza. NCL forces you to pay up to the specialty restaurants, that arent that special at all. The Italian place and Chinese food place were awful. Not worth a penny extra. The French Place and the Steak Place were very good and worth the upcharge. We had a horrible experience on the Gem as our first (AND LAST) cruise, and would never, ever cruise again. Terrible food, service and not a thing to do past 8pm. Bored off our behinds. :mad:

The Gem had buffets, but the food was inedible. Hamburgers, hot dogs, dried up pasta dishes, cafeteria-like sandwiches and dry pizza. NCL forces you to pay up to the specialty restaurants, that arent that special at all. The Italian place and Chinese food place were awful. Not worth a penny extra. The French Place and the Steak Place were very good and worth the upcharge. We had a horrible experience on the Gem as our first (AND LAST) cruise, and would never, ever cruise again. Terrible food, service and not a thing to do past 8pm. Bored off our behinds. :mad:

I trust you are joking?

Susan

So, did you have a good time otherwise?:D

I'll second that!

No buffet, indeed, tell that to my scale.:D

Because of that place, I probably gained a pound-a-day on my last Gem cruise in December.:)

Second that was on the GEM last week.

Best Buffet and gained pounds every day. I am sure my fingers are going to reach for floor 12 by mistake when I take the elevator

Well I can't wait for the buffet!!!

We've been on the Jewel twice and thoroughly enjoyed the buffet there. We ate most breakfasts and all lunches at the garden Cafe.

I'm looking forward to any differences as well...I read that there is a crepe station and hard ice cream...I don't think the Jewel had either of those.

How else is the gem buffet different from the Jewel's??

It seems a lot of people eat their dinners there as well. Last time on the Jewel, we ate all dinners in the MDR, but maybe we should check out dinner at the Gem buffet one evening.

We've been on the Jewel twice and thoroughly enjoyed the buffet there. We ate most breakfasts and all lunches at the garden Cafe.

I'm looking forward to any differences as well...I read that there is a crepe station and hard ice cream...I don't think the Jewel had either of those.

It seems a lot of people eat their dinners there as well. Last time on the Jewel, we ate all dinners in the MDR, but maybe we should check out dinner at the Gem buffet one evening.

I actually thought the Gem Buffet was better then the Jewel. Not that I left the Jewel emaciated or anything.. haha.. But I just remember things on the Gem I didn't see on The Jewel, rotisserie chicken, a larger salad bar, paninni's etc... a very large grilling station. Now they could have been on the Jewel and I just missed it. The set up is different.

never been on the Jewel but regarding the hard ice cream -- they had at least 5 different hard ice creams (5 gallon tubs) each night (not sure about lunchtime). van/choc/straw but also on different nights they had pistachio, peach & rocky road. but they only had cones - no bowls at that station, but if you brought a bowl or a crepe heheheh they would scoop it out for you. there were also toppings. MANY, MANY toppings (nuts, gummy bears, sprinkles, etc etc and wet ones too), so it was wierd you had to bring a bowl. some people had toppings on their cones.

@wallygator -

Utter nonsense! Below is a picture of the buffet, taken shortly before lunch. Straight ahead is the burger station with the drinks station to the left. Three other "Action Stations" on the left and four on the right. Every station serves different food.

874253519_GemGardenBuffet.jpg.6915d50b5ca63a2249565418aa0f36fb.jpg

We had a horrible experience on the Gem as our first (AND LAST) cruise, and would never, ever cruise again. Terrible food, service and not a thing to do past 8pm. Bored off our behinds. :mad:

First and LAST? That makes it VERY clear why you are spending your valuable time reading and posting on a cruise board?!? :confused:;):confused:

@wallygator -

Utter nonsense! Below is a picture of the buffet, taken shortly before lunch. Straight ahead is the burger station with the drinks station to the left. Three other "Action Stations" on the left and four on the right. Every station serves different food.

Like they say.....A picture is worth a thousand words...:)

To the ice cream afficianados... in addition to the above mentioned hard ice cream, they also have soft serve machines.

Does anyone else like putting soft serve as a topping on hard ice cream?:cool:

@wallygator -

I was trying to find this out for a coworker. She read that there were no buffets on the Gem. I haven't sailed on the Gem yet. Dawn (5) times Spirt (1) ,Sky (1) Star (2).

So again thank you all.:):)

Archived